Obituaries in the Sun

Closed Thread
Old 05-26-2011, 06:21 PM
Founder
Default Obituaries in the Sun

I just noticed that some of the obituaries in the Daily Sun are as old as one month. Others are a couple of weeks old. I'm wondering if anybody knows the reason for this.

I guess I'm use to obits being printed somewhere in the near vicinity of the date of the death.

JLK
Old 05-26-2011, 06:39 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
I just noticed that some of the obituaries in the Daily Sun are as old as one month. Others are a couple of weeks old. I'm wondering if anybody knows the reason for this.

I guess I'm use to obits being printed somewhere in the near vicinity of the date of the death.

JLK
Most "obits" are paid for by the families. They are not free. Perhaps those involved are busy with "other" things....(grieving..handling arrangements...notifying others..collecting info ..spending the insurance policy...etc..). Do not know about The Daily Sun policies regarding "obits" and the costs involved. BUT....on the other hand, death notices (name and town) are free. Those are provided by a governmental agency..AND we all know about their efficiency.

Last edited by mrfixit; 05-26-2011 at 07:06 PM. Reason: skeeerid uff spilenk crayzees
Old 05-26-2011, 06:46 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

It's my understanding that obits are only printed if the family writes it up themselves (or has the funeral home do it). I won't swear to it, but I believe the family has to pay for the obit as well. That's why we see some out-of-state obits here and why some deaths aren't reported at all. I find it rather sad. As much as I hate death, I'd rather know when a former neighbor has died than who was arrested in the past week.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 05-26-2011, 07:15 PM
Founder

Usually, death notices are free and obits are paid. These notices are typically handled by the funeral home. I just find it very odd that a family would wait one full month, then say, "oh....let's spend some money and put an obit in the Villages Daily Sun." But, maybe they do. I dun know.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:06 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to BlueHeronFan
Default It happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
Usually, death notices are free and obits are paid. These notices are typically handled by the funeral home. I just find it very odd that a family would wait one full month, then say, "oh....let's spend some money and put an obit in the Villages Daily Sun." But, maybe they do. I dun know.
Family follows deceased wishes, and then later feel more should be done for an obit. From personal experience.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:43 PM
Platinum member
Default Security

Sometimes the family does not post them for security reasons. Many of the "bad" guys check them out and then hit while the family is either at the services or gone from the vicinity. One of our friends did not post her husband's for this reason. She was going back up north right after the memorial for an extended time.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 05-27-2011, 07:08 AM
Veteran member

Agree with dillywho ..........A neighbor also delayed posting for the same reasons after her husband died.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:28 PM
Email Reported As Spam

TH appear to be fr all of the above...but it would seem other than security reasons if the place of death where The villages funeral directors would accomodate the family?
Old 05-27-2011, 02:00 PM
Platinum member
Unhappy Vultures, Etc.

Other than security, another reason is that there are so many "whatever you want to call them" out there preying on people when they are most vulnerable to buy this, subscribe to that, donate to this, contribute to that....you get the picture. They are just out to take advantage of any and all that they can, anyway they can; they do so to persons grieving because they know that they are not thinking clearly and if they can get their name on the dotted line........
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.