Sagging shelf under water heater and HVAC

Closed Thread
Old 04-23-2018, 12:15 PM

When we had our AC and furnace replaced after 17 years, the deck that the furnace and ductwork sit on was sagging a little. The water heater end was OK. It was not a moisture problem, just the deck not being adequately braced.

The AC contractor (DeSantis) braced, leveled, and painted the deck before installing the new furnace.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:31 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Today husband will call warranty and ask them how to deal with it. I am sure the air conditioning people who installed, the one who checks on it. will stop the problem of water leaking. WHO and HOW to shore it up is the practical problem. I wish Frank would send me an email and tell me who HE recommends.
Gracie, I think I would first speak to the folks who have been servicing your unit.....sagging does not happen overnight. If they have been blowing out the drain line routinely, it should not be a clogged drain. The thing is, SEVERE sagging does not typically occur overnight, which makes me wonder if they bear any responsibility.

IF it is found that the platform is not supported as well as it should, then it can get sticky. Warranty would most likely not cover this after all this time. I do on rare occasion find this in brand new homes and always call it out during the warranty period....but if it is not sagging during the first year, it is impossible to NON INVASIVELY check for support.

So....if your current HVAC folks do not take care of this, I have heard very good things about Chuck Ferrell. However, you seem to have TWO issues here....

1) What is causing the leakage? You need to find this and fix it. It could be a cracked drain tray.

2) Once the leakage is found and fixed, then you now have more of a carpenter issue.....although HVAC guys fix this all the time, as it is common to have plywood platforms for HVAC here in Florida.

Don't let anyone try to talk you into a new unit.....that should last another 5 years or so or more. If it were over 10 years old or so.....and if they were going to charge you a lot for the repair, but include a new plywood top when they remove everything, I'd say to go that way......but probably not for a 8 year old unit.

Remember to take the filter out and check the filter AND the bottom of the return for wetness. That bottom portion of the return MAY need replacing if it is wet or moldy.

I would want to hear what your service folks say about this...

Hope that helps!

Frank
Old 04-23-2018, 08:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,503 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
Gracie, I think I would first speak to the folks who have been servicing your unit.....sagging does not happen overnight. If they have been blowing out the drain line routinely, it should not be a clogged drain. The thing is, SEVERE sagging does not typically occur overnight, which makes me wonder if they bear any responsibility.

IF it is found that the platform is not supported as well as it should, then it can get sticky. Warranty would most likely not cover this after all this time. I do on rare occasion find this in brand new homes and always call it out during the warranty period....but if it is not sagging during the first year, it is impossible to NON INVASIVELY check for support.

So....if your current HVAC folks do not take care of this, I have heard very good things about Chuck Ferrell. However, you seem to have TWO issues here....

1) What is causing the leakage? You need to find this and fix it. It could be a cracked drain tray.

2) Once the leakage is found and fixed, then you now have more of a carpenter issue.....although HVAC guys fix this all the time, as it is common to have plywood platforms for HVAC here in Florida.

Don't let anyone try to talk you into a new unit.....that should last another 5 years or so or more. If it were over 10 years old or so.....and if they were going to charge you a lot for the repair, but include a new plywood top when they remove everything, I'd say to go that way......but probably not for a 8 year old unit.

Remember to take the filter out and check the filter AND the bottom of the return for wetness. That bottom portion of the return MAY need replacing if it is wet or moldy.

I would want to hear what your service folks say about this...

Hope that helps!

Frank
We first called warranty and they are sending out the framers of the home. We have a call into the HVAC service people, the folks who installed the unit. Henry says he sees no moisture.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:42 AM
Veteran member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
This is part of the reason I always get a maintenance plan from a reputable A/C company. In addition to discounts on service calls and parts, they come by two times a year to perform an inspection and tune up of my system.
Quote:
We have had a maintenance plan for seven and a half years.
I am not a maintenance person by any means, but from all that I've read here, it seems like your maintenance company has fallen short over the years, of what they are being paid to do.

It should come as no surprise to anyone, that maintenance contracts overall, do not benefit the homeowner.
They benefit the company that sells the contract.
That is why they sell these contracts and do so at a profit, and will always continue to do so.

I hope your maintenance company does not give you the run-around, but I fear they will.
Again -- from what I've read and understand, they should be held responsible but will probably try to pass the buck and leave you holding the bag.

I've always said it and said it in a thread yesterday . . .
Take the money you would pay for a maintenance contract each year and put it in your underwear drawer.
Be careful not to drop your drawers; it could cost you!
Then if and when you have a maintenance issue, pay for it from the money you've saved by not having a contract.
I am sure you will be ahead of the game.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:14 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
We first called warranty and they are sending out the framers of the home. We have a call into the HVAC service people, the folks who installed the unit. Henry says he sees no moisture.
Sounds like you are doing everything right.....that is good that you see no moisture. Of course, we are just talking online here, and have been making assumptions because we are not there.

IF there is no moisture, then there may be no HVAC problem. Moisture intrusion is any homes biggest problem. It could be just fatigue of the plywood top from poor framing underneath. Of course, we cannot see how warped it is or how bad the components are leaning.

They may need to turn off the water heater and drain the tank (which is a good thing to do every so often) to lessen the weight and get everything shored up.

Kudos to The Villages for sending out framers 8 years after a home was built. One can argue that they should, however, I know of no other builder that would do so after 8 years.

Keep us posted Gracie....
Old 04-24-2018, 07:44 AM

We had condensation on the outside of the a/c unit that dripped down the unit for a number of years particularly during the hot humid summer months onto the wood platform causing the paint to peel and very slightly deforming it. The problem was solved by "air conditioning " the closet in the garage where the a/c and water heater were located. In our house that closet door is tightly sealed. Our a/c maintenance company came up with the solution and I've not seen condensation on the outside of the unit since. Fortunately the structural integrity of the platform was not effected although it ultimately would have been.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:06 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Am PROUD of the responders here - so far. NOT A ONE has slammed "THE #$@%&! DEVELOPER".

yet. Maybe those folks are finally afraid of you GG.

What GREAT advice and input from ToTV folks....
Old 04-24-2018, 08:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
Am PROUD of the responders here - so far. NOT A ONE has slammed "THE #$@%&! DEVELOPER".

yet. Maybe those folks are finally afraid of you GG.

What GREAT advice and input from ToTV folks...
There is no need for that.

A failed support, without an indication of moisture, for a water heater/HVAC after only 7.5 years...speaks for itself.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:27 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,252 Times in 424 Posts

Well, I for one will be very interested in what the actual cause of this problem is. Gracie, when they figure it out and fix it, let us know.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,298 Times in 819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
There is no need for that.

A failed support, without an indication of moisture, for a water heater/HVAC after only 7.5 years...speaks for itself.
Oh I can really appreciate the irony in this.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Well, I for one will be very interested in what the actual cause of this problem is. Gracie, when they figure it out and fix it, let us know.
I will.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,298 Times in 819 Posts

Quote:
I will.
Next steps ? Who and when ?
Old 04-24-2018, 06:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Next steps ? Who and when ?
The framer came today. Tomorrow they will drain the water tank. Take out the front drywall and reinforce the support.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:42 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Gracie, I'm sure they know, but make sure they turn off the breaker before they drain the tank, and then when they are done the tank needs to be fully filled before turning it back on. If that is not done you will burn out the elements.

When they take off the front drywall, take a good look for any possible moisture issues.

May all go well!

Frank
Old 04-24-2018, 09:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
Gracie, I'm sure they know, but make sure they turn off the breaker before they drain the tank, and then when they are done the tank needs to be fully filled before turning it back on. If that is not done you will burn out the elements.

When they take off the front drywall, take a good look for any possible moisture issues.

May all go well!

Frank
Henry turned off the breaker tonight. So we can then drain it into the yard without cooking the grass.

Tags
water, hvac, heater, problem, called

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.