Sago Palm & your dog

Closed Thread
Old 06-10-2015, 04:22 PM
Default Sago Palm & your dog

Awhile back we had several dogs in the Gilchrist community become sick and some died. I don't think anyone ever found out what caused this. Could this have been the cause? I just learned while watching TV that Sago Palms are very dangerous for dogs! I am passing this along because there are many Sago Palms in the community. The man on TV had 2 dogs poisoned from Sago Palms he had planted in his yard not knowing how dangerous they are to cats & dogs.

Poisonous to: Cats, Dogs

Level of toxicity: Severe

Common signs to watch for:

Vomiting
Diarrhea
Lethargy
Inappetance
Abnormal fluid accumulation in the abdomen
Abdominal pain
Jaundice
Black-tarry stool
Sago palms are naturally found in tropical/subtropical environments; they are also used as ornamental Bonsai houseplants. These palms are members of the Order Cycadacae; generaCycads, Macrozamia, and Zamias. Examples of the cycad family include Cycad (Cycas cirinalis), Japanese cycad (Cycad revolute), Coontie plant (Zamia pumila), and Cardbord palm (Zamia furfuracea). All parts of sago palm are considered poisonous, with the seeds (nuts) being the most toxic part of the plant. Sago palm contains cycasin, which is the primary active toxic agent resulting in severe liver failure in dogs. Ingestion results in acute gastrointestinal signs (e.g., drooling, inappetance, vomiting, diarrhea) within 15 minutes to several hours after ingestion. Central nervous system signs (e.g., weakness, ataxia, seizures, tremors, etc.) and severe liver failure can be seen within 2-3 days post-ingestion. Clinical signs include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, inappetance, abnormal fluid accumulation in the abdomen, abdominal pain, jaundice, and black-tarry stool. Aggressive decontamination and treatment should be initiated. Even with aggressive treatment, the survival is about 50%.

If you suspect your dog or cat ate sago palm, call your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline immediately for life-saving treatment recommendations.

Poison type: Plants

Alternate names: Cycads, Cycadaceae, sago, Zamias, Macrozamia, Cycas cirinalis, Japanese cycad, Cycad revolute, Coontie plant, Zamia pumila, Cardbord palm, Zamia furfuracea
Old 06-10-2015, 07:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Super info;thanks! We have a lab and a sago Palm. Will need to evaluate whether to pull the palm out.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

There were one or more dogs in SC that ate sago palm leaves and died just this week.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:13 PM
Veteran member

Over the past 45 years or so I've had sagos in practically every yard of every home I've owned, and have always had at least one dog, indoor & outdoor, large & small, several different breeds, and cats too. I've never had any pet poisoned by any plants in my landscapes, and I've had plants way, way more toxic than a sago.

Bottom line: if you have a dog that is apt to gnaw & chew on anything & everything, then you might not want a sago around. Otherwise, I wouldn't be concerned. A dog that might occasionally chew on some grass isn't going to bother with the stiff, spiny leaflets on a sago.

east central Illinois, St. Louis, Baton Rouge, Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, AL
Old 06-12-2015, 09:25 AM
Sage

Never knew that. Thanks for sharing!
Closed Thread

Tags
sago, palm, dogs, cycad, palms, zamia, signs, plant, diarrhea, severe, vomiting, inappetance, treatment, failure, ingestion, dog, aggressive, abdomen, liver, e.g, black-tarry, cats, poisonous, stool, abdominal

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.