Salt water hot tub

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-03-2011, 10:29 PM
mrdarcy's Avatar
mrdarcy mrdarcy is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Osceola Hills @Soaring Eagle
Posts: 203
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default Salt water hot tub

Does anyone have an in-ground hot tub in which the water is purified by salt, rather than chlorine? Some friends of mine have salt purification for their in- ground pool. I'm wondering if the same method is available for hot tubs (spas). The salt water in their pool feels wonderful on the skin, whereas the chlorine in most hot tubs burns my eyes.
  #2  
Old 07-04-2011, 03:42 PM
katezbox's Avatar
katezbox katezbox is offline
Golden Sunrise Member
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Village of Bonita
Posts: 1,524
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdarcy View Post
Does anyone have an in-ground hot tub in which the water is purified by salt, rather than chlorine? Some friends of mine have salt purification for their in- ground pool. I'm wondering if the same method is available for hot tubs (spas). The salt water in their pool feels wonderful on the skin, whereas the chlorine in most hot tubs burns my eyes.
Mr. Darcy,

We asked that question of T&D and were told that a hot tub/spa is not large enough to use salt purification. They recommended another purifier. Interested if anyone has heard otherwise - we are about to get that project started!

k
__________________
Holyoke, Mass; East Granby, Monroe, Madison and Branford, Conn; Port Clyde, Maine; North Myrtle Beach, SC; The Village of Bonita (April 2009 - )
  #3  
Old 07-05-2011, 08:14 AM
JohnN's Avatar
JohnN JohnN is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Village of St. James
Posts: 3,046
Thanks: 5
Thanked 777 Times in 293 Posts
Default

There are chlorine alternatives, pristine blue is one that is simple that I liked and used.. but too much can turn your hair green (not bad for st. paddy's day)
__________________
Chicago, IL
Little Rock, AR
Alpharetta, GA
Searcy, AR
Village of St.James, The Villages, FL
  #4  
Old 07-05-2011, 08:19 AM
spk7951's Avatar
spk7951 spk7951 is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,247
Thanks: 5
Thanked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
Mr. Darcy,

We asked that question of T&D and were told that a hot tub/spa is not large enough to use salt purification. They recommended another purifier. Interested if anyone has heard otherwise - we are about to get that project started!

k

I would suggest researching further and maybe getting a 2nd opinion. Try Jack's Solar, 352-267-4903, he installed our salt chlorinator on our pool/spa and it also cost us less than what T&D wanted. I did a quick, I emphasize quick, internet search and found the below web site that says you can buy a salt chloirnator for spas that hold 600 - 2,000 gallons of water.
http://www.askalanaquestion.com/salt...ator_store.htm
  #5  
Old 07-05-2011, 11:07 AM
NJblue NJblue is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,278
Thanks: 4
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

This may be a dumb question, but does a salt water purifier make the water in the spa like salt water? If so, I'd rather deal with the chlorine or other chemical purifiers.
  #6  
Old 07-05-2011, 12:09 PM
StarbuckSammy StarbuckSammy is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 191
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

The salt water feels just like regular water...not like ocean salt water...but if you drink it, it is a bit salty!
  #7  
Old 07-05-2011, 12:14 PM
katezbox's Avatar
katezbox katezbox is offline
Golden Sunrise Member
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Village of Bonita
Posts: 1,524
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spk7951 View Post
I would suggest researching further and maybe getting a 2nd opinion. Try Jack's Solar, 352-267-4903, he installed our salt chlorinator on our pool/spa and it also cost us less than what T&D wanted. I did a quick, I emphasize quick, internet search and found the below web site that says you can buy a salt chloirnator for spas that hold 600 - 2,000 gallons of water.
http://www.askalanaquestion.com/salt...ator_store.htm
Thanks SPK. We plan to use Jack for our solar.

k
__________________
Holyoke, Mass; East Granby, Monroe, Madison and Branford, Conn; Port Clyde, Maine; North Myrtle Beach, SC; The Village of Bonita (April 2009 - )
  #8  
Old 07-05-2011, 04:14 PM
spk7951's Avatar
spk7951 spk7951 is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,247
Thanks: 5
Thanked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJblue View Post
This may be a dumb question, but does a salt water purifier make the water in the spa like salt water? If so, I'd rather deal with the chlorine or other chemical purifiers.

There is a slight salt content but nothing close to what you get when swimming in the ocean. I believe the water has a bit of a "soft" feel to it as compared to the harsher chlorine treated water.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47 PM.