Saltwater Pools for the Villages

Closed Thread
Old 12-15-2011, 10:30 PM
Sage

I think some are referring to bromine used in the neighborhood and priority (country club) pools here. The sport pools seem to be regular chlorine that is well regulated, with the proper pH.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:49 AM
Gold member

They are not as efficient and cost more than chlorine pools to run when used my large amount of people.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:52 PM

A saltwater pool is still a chlorine pool. A saltwater pool has salt added to it, about the same salinity as your the water in your eyes. When the pool water circulates it passes through a device that changes the salt into chlorine. Almost all pools if treated properly have a ph of about 7.5 and a chlorine level of about 1.5ppm. A properly maintained pool should not burn your eyes. If it does it usually means the ph is incorrect or there are chlorimines in the water. An ozonater can help you sanitize your pool or spa at a lower level of chlorine, say about .5ppm. I would not swim in any pool that did not have some form of chlorine or bromine as it's primary disinfectant. A possible exception might be a pool treated with Baquacil (hydrogen peroxide). Was in the pool & spa business most of my adult life and over that time I learned a little bit.
DG
Old 12-16-2011, 02:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,367 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGx2 View Post
A saltwater pool is still a chlorine pool. A saltwater pool has salt added to it, about the same salinity as your the water in your eyes. When the pool water circulates it passes through a device that changes the salt into chlorine. Almost all pools if treated properly have a ph of about 7.5 and a chlorine level of about 1.5ppm. A properly maintained pool should not burn your eyes. If it does it usually means the ph is incorrect or there are chlorimines in the water. An ozonater can help you sanitize your pool or spa at a lower level of chlorine, say about .5ppm. I would not swim in any pool that did not have some form of chlorine or bromine as it's primary disinfectant. A possible exception might be a pool treated with Baquacil (hydrogen peroxide). Was in the pool & spa business most of my adult life and over that time I learned a little bit.
DG
I hope you now realize that you are the "go to guy" for any pool questions.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:21 PM

Been thinking about going back to work. Consulting on pools and spas might be just what the doctor ordered. First questions free, then I'll start the meter running. Any takers?
DG
Old 12-17-2011, 11:03 AM
Sage

Ok, back to the original, clarified, question. I thought TV uses salt in their sanitation systems. Anyone know the exact details. Perhaps an e-mail to Janet Tutt?
Old 12-17-2011, 11:46 AM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGx2 View Post
DG
I think you know what you're talking about but I still believe that your eyes would burn if you swam for any length of time and did not wear goggles. Eyes are not meant to have pool water exposure for any length of time.....no matter how pure.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:48 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
Ok, back to the original, clarified, question. I thought TV uses salt in their sanitation systems. Anyone know the exact details. Perhaps an e-mail to Janet Tutt?
I would not even know how to correctly pose the question - perhaps one of you with more pool experience can take on this task and let us know? As before, we did call the rec dept. and got transferred to someone (unknown) who seemed to be definite that there were no public saltwater pools in TV.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.