Sampling the merchandise

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-03-2015, 06:05 PM
sunnyatlast sunnyatlast is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: The Villages, FL
Posts: 1,208
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Sampling the merchandise

Would you stand in the packaged/weighed/priced produce aisle and demand a sample of the cut fruit already weighed and priced in clear plastic, sealed boxes?

I'm shocked. Where I come from the response would be, "that takes a lot of unmitigated gall", to make the store personnel get a fork, open the box, give a sample, (listen to the customer proclaim for all to hear how TERRIBLE it is), and then take the box to the back room to either discard the contents, or re-package, weigh and price it.

I think it's disrespectful to the merchant. But I'm from the midwest. Haven't seen that before.
  #2  
Old 03-03-2015, 06:23 PM
wholman66 wholman66 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: The Villages, Fl.
Posts: 108
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Probably one of the folks who complain about grocery prices being so high and fill their pockets and purses with sugar, salt and pepper packs from restaurants, claiming they are free..
  #3  
Old 03-03-2015, 07:02 PM
redwitch's Avatar
redwitch redwitch is offline
Sage
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,099
Thanks: 2
Thanked 76 Times in 33 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default

I've never demanded it but have been offered samples before. Once because I mentioned I was curious about a fruit I'd seen but never tasted. Another time because the last time I had purchased that fruit it was inedible. Bought the strange fruit, refused the yucky stuff. I see nothing wrong in asking even though it is not something I've ever done but to demand is just rude.
__________________
Army/embassy brat - traveled too much to mention
Moved here from SF Bay Area (East Bay)

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
  #4  
Old 03-03-2015, 07:54 PM
Cathy H Cathy H is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 206
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

do not sample the fruit of the Ki-Ki bird!
  #5  
Old 03-03-2015, 08:20 PM
mtdjed mtdjed is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 815
Thanks: 1
Thanked 443 Times in 110 Posts
Default

Well, you might want to go to Marion Markets and see how they work to get customers Then you go to Sams and Publics and they have taste stations. All of the supermarkets now seem to offer lunch meat samples. I might not expect a supermarket to cut up an orange for me but their practices are encouraging this type of thing. And I would suggest that many people might just sample a grape before paying $2.99/Lb.
  #6  
Old 03-03-2015, 09:57 PM
CassieInVa CassieInVa is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 246
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Well, I think sampling a grape is very different from having them open a weighed and sealed package of fruit. I still can't get over those that have the bakery open a package of rolls or similar because they only want one or two. Would never fly where I'm from up North, but seems the norm here.
  #7  
Old 03-03-2015, 09:58 PM
sunnyatlast sunnyatlast is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: The Villages, FL
Posts: 1,208
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
Well, you might want to go to Marion Markets and see how they work to get customers Then you go to Sams and Publics and they have taste stations. All of the supermarkets now seem to offer lunch meat samples. I might not expect a supermarket to cut up an orange for me but their practices are encouraging this type of thing. And I would suggest that many people might just sample a grape before paying $2.99/Lb.
A sample tray of orange or grapefruit wedges or other food OFFERED by the vendor at Markets of Marion or Sams or Publix is completely different from a customer demanding Publix to open a sealed, weighed and priced package of sliced melon to sample and make it then unsellable as is.

Would you have them open a box of cereal, bag of potato chips, bottle of wine, beer or soda, or carton of ice cream to sample that, too?
  #8  
Old 03-03-2015, 10:17 PM
obxgal's Avatar
obxgal obxgal is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Villages
Posts: 1,136
Thanks: 107
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Some people just totally amaze me.
__________________
North of Pgh and OBX
  #9  
Old 03-03-2015, 10:19 PM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 13,949
Thanks: 367
Thanked 1,102 Times in 524 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
A sample tray of orange or grapefruit wedges or other food OFFERED by the vendor at Markets of Marion or Sams or Publix is completely different from a customer demanding Publix to open a sealed, weighed and priced package of sliced melon to sample and make it then unsellable as is.

Would you have them open a box of cereal, bag of potato chips, bottle of wine, beer or soda, or carton of ice cream to sample that, too?
Don't give those people any ideas, sunny!
__________________
It's harder to hate close up.
  #10  
Old 03-03-2015, 11:57 PM
sunnyatlast sunnyatlast is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: The Villages, FL
Posts: 1,208
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Don't give those people any ideas, sunny!
Well I think the stores need to say "no" to such rudeness and disrespect for the merchant's inventory costs and losses.

I didn't completely believe it when a bartender told me it's commonplace for some cheapskate Villagers to return open jars/bottles of ketchup, mayo, mustard etc. to Publix for refund, when they leave for the summer and clean out the fridge.

But now, I can believe it.
  #11  
Old 03-04-2015, 12:42 AM
Barefoot's Avatar
Barefoot Barefoot is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winters in TV, Summers in Canada.
Posts: 17,681
Thanks: 1,685
Thanked 238 Times in 180 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassieInVa View Post
Well, I think sampling a grape is very different from having them open a weighed and sealed package of fruit. I still can't get over those that have the bakery open a package of rolls or similar because they only want one or two. Would never fly where I'm from up North, but seems the norm here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
A sample tray of orange or grapefruit wedges or other food OFFERED by the vendor at Markets of Marion or Sams or Publix is completely different from a customer demanding Publix to open a sealed, weighed and priced package of sliced melon to sample and make it then unsellable as is.
Would you have them open a box of cereal, bag of potato chips, bottle of wine, beer or soda, or carton of ice cream to sample that, too?
I've never heard of such behavior except in The Villages.
Perhaps we need a Village of Entitlement with a grocery store that dispenses free samples all day long.
__________________
Barefoot At Last
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
  #12  
Old 03-04-2015, 07:45 AM
Carla B Carla B is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,358
Thanks: 28
Thanked 407 Times in 203 Posts
Default

My daughter had a neighbor who bought flowering plants from Home Depot each year and then returned them when he got ready to go back to Quebec. This was in Florida but not in The Villages.
  #13  
Old 03-04-2015, 08:10 AM
geri317 geri317 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 217
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Some people living in the Villages think they are privileged in all things. I have seen it many times since I've lived here.
  #14  
Old 03-04-2015, 08:19 AM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 13,949
Thanks: 367
Thanked 1,102 Times in 524 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
Well I think the stores need to say "no" to such rudeness and disrespect for the merchant's inventory costs and losses.

I didn't completely believe it when a bartender told me it's commonplace for some cheapskate Villagers to return open jars/bottles of ketchup, mayo, mustard etc. to Publix for refund, when they leave for the summer and clean out the fridge.


But now, I can believe it.
Appallingly arrogant and disgusting. But Publix needs to put a stop to it.
__________________
It's harder to hate close up.
  #15  
Old 03-04-2015, 08:51 AM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 39,375
Thanks: 4,174
Thanked 4,654 Times in 1,591 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

I too was totally surprised by folks asking to repackage rolls or bread and certainly shocked by someone asking to taste packaged, sealed, fresh fruits.

Perhaps they moved from an area where they had shopped at small locally owned bakers or businesses who gave them a sample of things. I know when I buy deli meat Publix always, ALWAYS, offers a sample, which is very different than any place I have ever shopped, even my dear old Krogers from Cincinnati, Ohio. I just love Publix.

I could not, would not ever ask. But I have sampled a grape. I always have. I thought that is why they leave the grape bags open.
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:50 AM.