Sam's Club

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-13-2015, 04:21 PM
Villages PL Villages PL is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Belvedere
Posts: 5,280
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Sam's Club

I only visited a Sam's Club once, and it was over 20 years ago. It was in Lakeland, FL. and was about a half hour drive from my central Florida home.
Basically, I just looked at the food section because I didn't have a lot of time.

I didn't like anything about it because everything came in jumbo sizes. It seems it might be good for a big family? Also, I thought it was ridiculous that one would have to pay a fee to join.

Has anything changed in 20+ years to make it better? I've never visited Sam's Club in The Villages.
  #2  
Old 03-13-2015, 05:01 PM
redwitch's Avatar
redwitch redwitch is offline
Sage
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,099
Thanks: 2
Thanked 76 Times in 33 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default

You summed it up pretty well. I like their meats but I know this doesn't inyerest you. You can get some good buys on electronics, especially tvs. Bulk is handy for some things if you have the room, such as cleaning supplies and paper products. Decent wine selection. Some good deals on seasonal items. Love their buckets of Preen and cat sand.
__________________
Army/embassy brat - traveled too much to mention
Moved here from SF Bay Area (East Bay)

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
  #3  
Old 03-13-2015, 05:20 PM
gomoho's Avatar
gomoho gomoho is offline
Sage
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,341
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

When I was in TV I went once a week to Sams for their vegetables and fruits. Quality and price can't be beat. Also an excellent deal on spices, sun dried tomatoes, kalamata olives, olive oil etc. etc. Don't have a Sams or Costco where I now live and do miss it a lot.
  #4  
Old 03-13-2015, 05:48 PM
gap2415 gap2415 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 389
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

We like SAMs, it well pays for the membership fee we pay but we do call it the hundred dollar store. Even if we go for one little thing, it seems to cost at least a hundred dollars every time we got here.
  #5  
Old 03-13-2015, 06:39 PM
Ecuadog's Avatar
Ecuadog Ecuadog is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: what3words
Posts: 1,499
Thanks: 0
Thanked 228 Times in 112 Posts
Default

Most people don't know that you don't have to be a member to shop at their liquor store, which is outside the main store. Mostly big bottles, limited selection, good prices. You do have to be a member to shop their wines in the main store.
__________________
"It’s so simple to be wise… just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it." --Homer Simpson

///tuneful.medium.briefs
///flirts.bronzed.pinch
  #6  
Old 03-14-2015, 08:16 AM
pbkmaine's Avatar
pbkmaine pbkmaine is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 438
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default

I know vegetarians who use warehouse clubs. But you do need storage. You can get large bags of beans, rice and oats, for example. There are some good fruit and vegetable buys. If you are curious, why not go in and ask if you can take a look around?
  #7  
Old 03-14-2015, 08:32 AM
Dr Winston O Boogie jr's Avatar
Dr Winston O Boogie jr Dr Winston O Boogie jr is offline
Sage
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 7,328
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1,632 Times in 534 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
I only visited a Sam's Club once, and it was over 20 years ago. It was in Lakeland, FL. and was about a half hour drive from my central Florida home.
Basically, I just looked at the food section because I didn't have a lot of time.

I didn't like anything about it because everything came in jumbo sizes. It seems it might be good for a big family? Also, I thought it was ridiculous that one would have to pay a fee to join.

Has anything changed in 20+ years to make it better? I've never visited Sam's Club in The Villages.
The basic idea of a food club, whether it be Sam's or Costco or BJ's or whatever is that you save money by buying large quantities at near wholesale prices.

I agree, it's better for large families, but you can save on certain items. They have good deals on electronics and other large purchases. We go about once a month and stock up on non perishables such as paper towels and cleaning products. We also buy almost a month's worth of meat and stock the freezer. For things that we need to buy fresh we make a run to Publix or Winn Dixie. But over the course of a year, we find that we save well over the $100 annual fee. We also get gas there which is usually only a few cents cheaper than other local stations, but it's not out of the way so every little bit helps.
__________________
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
  #8  
Old 03-14-2015, 08:45 AM
Cisco Kid's Avatar
Cisco Kid Cisco Kid is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Monticello IL
Posts: 1,886
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Where else can you get a barrel of Jack for $10,000
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	48990  
__________________
My alarm doesn't have a snooze button. It has a paw.

Chloe
&
Lulu
  #9  
Old 03-14-2015, 08:49 AM
dbussone's Avatar
dbussone dbussone is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,836
Thanks: 0
Thanked 84 Times in 77 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
Where else can you get a barrel of Jack for $10,000
Could we go halvsies?
__________________
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill
  #10  
Old 03-14-2015, 09:42 AM
tuccillo tuccillo is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,687
Thanks: 0
Thanked 106 Times in 57 Posts
Default

I believe you can go in on a visitors pass to check it out. That would probably answer your questions about whether it is a good fit for you and your buying habits. Regarding the fee to join, if what you save is greater than the annual fee then it is a net savings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
I only visited a Sam's Club once, and it was over 20 years ago. It was in Lakeland, FL. and was about a half hour drive from my central Florida home.
Basically, I just looked at the food section because I didn't have a lot of time.

I didn't like anything about it because everything came in jumbo sizes. It seems it might be good for a big family? Also, I thought it was ridiculous that one would have to pay a fee to join.

Has anything changed in 20+ years to make it better? I've never visited Sam's Club in The Villages.
  #11  
Old 03-14-2015, 09:43 AM
TNLAKEPANDA's Avatar
TNLAKEPANDA TNLAKEPANDA is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: East TN
Posts: 1,296
Thanks: 173
Thanked 137 Times in 55 Posts
Default

Don't go to Sams Club... it is too crowded and the fewer that go the better.
  #12  
Old 03-14-2015, 11:18 AM
Bogie Shooter Bogie Shooter is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 15,276
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1,963 Times in 915 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
I only visited a Sam's Club once, and it was over 20 years ago. It was in Lakeland, FL. and was about a half hour drive from my central Florida home.
Basically, I just looked at the food section because I didn't have a lot of time.

I didn't like anything about it because everything came in jumbo sizes. It seems it might be good for a big family? Also, I thought it was ridiculous that one would have to pay a fee to join.

Has anything changed in 20+ years to make it better? I've never visited Sam's Club in The Villages.
That would make sense...................then you could form your own opinion.
__________________
The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it. George Orwell.
“Only truth and transparency can guarantee freedom”, John McCain
  #13  
Old 03-14-2015, 12:13 PM
simpkinp's Avatar
simpkinp simpkinp is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Village of Mallory Square
Posts: 671
Thanks: 2
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Many of the clubs go there for their supplies and it is great for shopping for parties, especially at the holidays when they have more appetizers and the like. Good prices on wine and good price and quality of meats..
  #14  
Old 03-14-2015, 12:20 PM
Villages PL Villages PL is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Belvedere
Posts: 5,280
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
The basic idea of a food club, whether it be Sam's or Costco or BJ's or whatever is that you save money by buying large quantities at near wholesale prices.

I agree, it's better for large families, but you can save on certain items. They have good deals on electronics and other large purchases. We go about once a month and stock up on non perishables such as paper towels and cleaning products. We also buy almost a month's worth of meat and stock the freezer. For things that we need to buy fresh we make a run to Publix or Winn Dixie. But over the course of a year, we find that we save well over the $100 annual fee. We also get gas there which is usually only a few cents cheaper than other local stations, but it's not out of the way so every little bit helps.
Thanks, you summed it up very well. I'm surprised that the annual fee is now $100. When I went many years ago I think it was about $25.
  #15  
Old 03-14-2015, 12:23 PM
Villages PL Villages PL is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Belvedere
Posts: 5,280
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbkmaine View Post
I know vegetarians who use warehouse clubs. But you do need storage. You can get large bags of beans, rice and oats, for example. There are some good fruit and vegetable buys. If you are curious, why not go in and ask if you can take a look around?
I just might do that, thanks.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 PM.