Samsung refrigerator ice maker problems

Closed Thread
Old 01-21-2022, 11:48 AM
Default Samsung refrigerator ice maker problems

Anyone with a Samsung refrigerator that is out of warranty and that is having trouble with their icemaker, do not call for and pay for parts and repair. There is a pending class action lawsuit against Samsung. Call Samsung at 800 726 7864 or 866 427 7074. Have your model and serial numbers available (located on inside door frame). They have a contract with Asurian. They will fix it for free. Ours was just fixed and is working great. Good luck!
Old 01-21-2022, 12:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalduino View Post
Anyone with a Samsung refrigerator that is out of warranty and that is having trouble with their icemaker, do not call for and pay for parts and repair. There is a pending class action lawsuit against Samsung. Call Samsung at 800 726 7864 or 866 427 7074. Have your model and serial numbers available (located on inside door frame). They have a contract with Asurian. They will fix it for free. Ours was just fixed and is working great. Good luck!
Yep. We had that problem last year, along with failure to maintain correct temperature. Had to go through about four service calls before they declared it unrepairable. Under warranty so got a new fridge. If we’d had the option we would have chosen a different brand.

About three weeks ago, the ice maker on the new fridge iced up. Again. Repairman ordered a new icemaker and said to keep the doors open to defrost naturally. So fed up with Samsung brand! Doesn’t matter if under warranty. What a pain in the rear!
Old 01-21-2022, 12:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
Yep. We had that problem last year, along with failure to maintain correct temperature. Had to go through about four service calls before they declared it unrepairable. Under warranty so got a new fridge. If we’d had the option we would have chosen a different brand.

About three weeks ago, the ice maker on the new fridge iced up. Again. Repairman ordered a new icemaker and said to keep the doors open to defrost naturally. So fed up with Samsung brand! Doesn’t matter if under warranty. What a pain in the rear!
Not defending Samsung. We too have an ice maker in the door. Our refrigerator is a whirlpool and our ice maker also failed after 5 or so years. In terms of failure rates the ice maker seems to be the most problem prone. If, I recall the complete assembly with install was between 150 and $200.

Like most things they don't make them like they used to. My sister still has a WORKING GE refrigerator, an antique, with the motor on top. The date on the motor is 1936.
Old 01-21-2022, 01:27 PM
Veteran member

Thanks for this information. I've been agonizing over this ice maker for 7 years. Already replaced two of them with the faulty parts. I knew about the fix with the new part but have been keeping my eye on the progress of the law suit. Hopefully, this will be the final solution and we won't have to buy bags of ice again. I have an appointment set up.
Old 01-21-2022, 01:32 PM

We had one back home and have one here and just waiting for it to happen. I think the problem is just design, not a good place to put an ice maker. When you leave the door open to put groceries away I think it melts a little and then freezes again, and repeats....
Old 01-21-2022, 08:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpaVader View Post
We had one back home and have one here and just waiting for it to happen. I think the problem is just design, not a good place to put an ice maker. When you leave the door open to put groceries away I think it melts a little and then freezes again, and repeats....
I mentioned that we had our ice maker replaced in our Whirlpool. It seems to be a common repair issue. The guy that replaced ours said they improved the part.
It is now the part they used years ago-that lasted.

Engineers there are tons of such stories. It looks good on paper. We can save money doing it this way. Failures of stuff that looks good on paper includes buildings, bridges etc. An ice maker is just a minor nuisance. Our installed new old design part has been working fine.
Old 01-22-2022, 12:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

I fixed mine myself. Wasn't worth fighting with them. Cost me $200 and it has worked flawlessly for over almost 2 years. There is a "Samsung upgrade kit" from one of the online parts dealers (PartsDR) plus you need to buy some special calking which I got off eBay for 1/2 the usual price . The upgrade kit included a new computer board programmed to modify the defrost cycle and about 4 other "upgraded" parts. The Samsung techs (just some local yokels from around here) they send out don't have a clue. They replace (wrong) parts and it never gets fixed. If you want to fight with them and get aggravated for months you might get a refund. I was on that Facebook group dealing with the issue and any time I posted a suggestion on how to fix it or what to tell the useless technician they deleted the post. I think I still have some of their expensive calking in a drawer if needed but without replacing all the upgraded parts the problem will happen over and over. Bottom line after almost 3 years of aggravation I fixed it myself and it's been perfect for 2+ years.

This is a SIMILAR kit. There is one for each model. DA82-02642A - Samsung Ice Maker Service Kit | Parts Dr
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 01-22-2022, 05:50 AM

Thank you for the info.
Old 01-22-2022, 06:53 AM

Ditto..AND ... The defroster ices up to a point where the fan gets stuck on ice and the defrost drain freezes so the water leaks back into the refrigerator and air leaks into the lower ice box turning it into a block of ice and the lower draw gets stuck and the crisper tray falls apart.
The point ...
DO NOT BUY A SAMSUNG REFRIGERATOR !
Old 01-22-2022, 07:06 AM

I have an Avanti Wine Chiller (Model # WC 3406) that needs repair. I set the thermostat at a certain temperature. The actual temperature is much lower. I reviewed the Owner's Manual-- the Troubleshooting section does not address this type of problem. The thermostat may be defective-- I am not sure. In any case-- I need help fixing this problem. If you have experience repairing this type of problem, please call me at (314) 315 - 5389. Ask for Elise. I live in the Village of Hemingway.
Old 01-22-2022, 07:32 AM
Smile Samsung ice maker

I too had issues with the upper ice maker in my Samsung refrigerator. The second time the unit failed, I solved the problem by selling the house and moving elsewhere in TV!!
Old 01-22-2022, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalduino View Post
Glad yours was fixed, mine has been “fixed” five times
Lasts as long as two months
I understand if it breaks again, I will get a buyout offer
Probably Pennie’s on the dollar
Old 01-22-2022, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post

I am curious how old was the unit they replaced I have the same issue
Old 01-22-2022, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
Not defending Samsung. We too have an ice maker in the door. Our refrigerator is a whirlpool and our ice maker also failed after 5 or so years. In terms of failure rates the ice maker seems to be the most problem prone. If, I recall the complete assembly with install was between 150 and $200.

Like most things they don't make them like they used to. My sister still has a WORKING GE refrigerator, an antique, with the motor on top. The date on the motor is 1936.
My Samsungs icemaker broke after 1 month, and after at least 5 attempts at repair is still problematic !
Old 01-22-2022, 07:44 AM

Temporary fix I have been doing to my 4 yo Sammy as posted in last months ice maker post….usually lasts a few months …..take ice cube holder out (if you can) and put in 2 coffee mugs with steaming hot water inside ice maker for 15 minutes- repeat if necessary- you don’t have to leave doors open or defrost whole fudge…works to clear all stuck ice!!!
Be careful with the hot boiling water when you put mugs in fridge….
Closed Thread

Tags
samsung, call, refrigerator, model, numbers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.