Samsung refrigerator ice maker problems

Closed Thread
Old 01-22-2022, 01:43 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalduino View Post
Anyone with a Samsung refrigerator that is out of warranty and that is having trouble with their icemaker, do not call for and pay for parts and repair. There is a pending class action lawsuit against Samsung. Call Samsung at 800 726 7864 or 866 427 7074. Have your model and serial numbers available (located on inside door frame). They have a contract with Asurian. They will fix it for free. Ours was just fixed and is working great. Good luck!
Thank you for your post. I posted another note just above but wanted to say a special thank you to you.

God Bless

ted
Old 01-22-2022, 01:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,465 Times in 545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelhunter123 View Post
I am curious how old was the unit they replaced I have the same issue
Our old fridge was about 2 years old. Still under warranty. After they declared it unrepairable, we got a gift card to Best Buy for the full price, but this was early in the COVID years and there was limited available inventory. We ended up having to get another Samsung, or else wait 3-6 months for something else to come in.

Never getting another Samsung.
Old 01-22-2022, 02:17 PM

All appliances are the same, lucky to get 7 years out of them. LG French Door fridge lasted 4 years. Did research, Miele is the only one I found that claims to give consumers 20 years use. Convenience out weighs price for me.
Old 01-22-2022, 03:26 PM

We have a Maytag and the ice maker motor broke down last year, which makes it 9 years. They don't last as long as they used to.
Old 01-22-2022, 04:50 PM

Is your frig ice maker freeing up and have to be defrosted about every 2 weeks and if this what you got fixed, what did they do? The last time I called (in warranty) they told me forget it, they are not going to replace the frig. So, I get the hair dryer out when there are no cubs in the top door ice maker, spend 30 minutes setting everything up and de-icing the whole unit, and then mopping up the water.
Old 01-23-2022, 12:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersweeney View Post
Temporary fix I have been doing to my 4 yo Sammy as posted in last months ice maker post….usually lasts a few months …..take ice cube holder out (if you can) and put in 2 coffee mugs with steaming hot water inside ice maker for 15 minutes- repeat if necessary- you don’t have to leave doors open or defrost whole fudge…works to clear all stuck ice!!!
Be careful with the hot boiling water when you put mugs in fridge….
My sister has had her entire fridge replaced four times. (extended warranty with Best Buy). The latest she was told to do......purchase some sort of blower that blows warm air (sounds like a hair dryer to me) and use the blower for ten minutes on the ice maker and do this monthly. What????????????? They must be kidding! I would never do that. I would sell the fridge but sis won't do it because she would never be able to match the special black color of all her kitchen appliances that are all Samsung. What a pickle.
Old 01-23-2022, 12:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedquick View Post
Now yours is an interesting post because at 11:18 this morning I made a call to the 800# and after a 21 minute call it was left that UBreakIFix will call me in the next 24-48 hours for a free fix. If they don't call me I am to call them. My Samsung is right at 8 years old and we replaced the icemaker 3 or 4 years ago because of the above mentioned problems which recurred shortly after the replacement. Time will tell if it actually happens but I have a reasonable degree of optimism. I called them today only because of the OP's original post so a big Thank You to the OP.
They may show up (50/50) but you will be calling Samsucks again every ???? months with the same complaint after they are done. Could be a month or could be 8 months (probably will get bad again in the humid hot summer). The likelihood they (the 3rd party repair folks) will fix it PROPERLY is about 1 in 1000. It will work fine for a while then you'll have to rinse and repeat with Samsucks.
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 01-23-2022, 01:55 PM
Default Appliances

I always get a little chuckle out of these posts about appliances. Everyone seems so intent on replacing the original GE products as soon as possible when purchasing or building a home. At least GE was the brand used when our home was built in 2001.
Our condo in St Pete, for 17 years, came with all GE brand appliances and when we left there in 2001, the same appliances were still in working order with no problems.
Our appliances in The Villages home are GE, installed in 2001, all original, in good working order with never a service call. And I will add here, I would never replace my washing machine with the agitator with the newer machines that don't have it....... my daughter has the newer one, takes forever to wash and clothes don't appear as clean as with the "old" agitator type".
Just my humble take on the subject....
Old 01-23-2022, 02:45 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Now yours is an interesting post because at 11:18 this morning I made a call to the 800# and after a 21 minute call it was left that UBreakIFix will call me in the next 24-48 hours for a free fix. If they don't call me I am to call them. My Samsung is right at 8 years old and we replaced the icemaker 3 or 4 years ago because of the above mentioned problems which recurred shortly after the replacement. Time will tell if it actually happens but I have a reasonable degree of optimism. I called them today only because of the OP's original post so a big Thank You to the OP.
I did the same. They will mail the parts to me first then UBreakIFix comes out to install. I don't have much confidence in this. I plan on studying all the material and video on this thread. I may just cancel the installer and try to get a new fridge.
Old 01-23-2022, 03:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eremite06 View Post
I did the same. They will mail the parts to me first then UBreakIFix comes out to install. I don't have much confidence in this. I plan on studying all the material and video on this thread. I may just cancel the installer and try to get a new fridge.
DON'T CANCEL. You need to document multiple visits before they even put you through the months of hell to get a replacement. Would be curious to know what parts they send you. If the fridge is over 4 years and if they DON'T include AT LEAST a new circuit board and a tube of Sealant you may as well make an appointment for later in the year now. Before they seal the icecube maker "box" the fridge must be full room temp and fully dry.

Ice Box Sealant - Fix ice buildup in your Samsung ice maker - YouTube
Old 01-24-2022, 11:45 AM
Veteran member

Also, that sealant needs to cure for hours. I'll let you know what parts are delivered. Why should I wait until later in the year if the proper parts are not sent?
Old 01-25-2022, 11:09 AM

After retiring, I worked at a store that sold appliances. Anyone that was looking at a Samsung appliance was warned away from buying it because of their extremely high failure rate.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Also, that sealant needs to cure for hours. I'll let you know what parts are delivered. Why should I wait until later in the year if the proper parts are not sent?
Let me rephrase that. IF they don't include the sealant AND the new circuit board (among 5 or 6 other updated parts) and they do the "repair" PREPARE TO CALL THEM BACK IN A FEW MONTHS when the same problem happens again. DO NOT CANCEL the appointment if you seriously want to fight them for 6 months to MAYBE (not) get a replacement. You'll need multiple appointments and lots of patience. If you have the time and patience for that, great. For me I gave up after 4-5 months and invested the $200 and fixed it myself and it has been flawless for almost 2 years. While I shouldn't have had to do that, for my time and sanity was worth it. As for the class action lawsuit, good luck. You'll be lucky to get a 10% off coupon for a new Samsucks fridge about 10 years from now when/if it gets settled.

This entire thread is based on Samsucks icemakers that are located in the fridge section MOSTLY on the French Door models which is what the OP is about although by now you'd never know it. The topic has already gone way off course which isn't surprising so it will really get confusing because it has nothing to do with the GE stuff The Villages supplies. Good luck and keep good notes, names, times and dates on every call you make and every visit you get.
Old 01-26-2022, 01:44 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Let me rephrase that. IF they don't include the sealant AND the new circuit board (among 5 or 6 other updated parts) and they do the "repair" PREPARE TO CALL THEM BACK IN A FEW MONTHS when the same problem happens again. DO NOT CANCEL the appointment if you seriously want to fight them for 6 months to MAYBE (not) get a replacement. You'll need multiple appointments and lots of patience. If you have the time and patience for that, great. For me I gave up after 4-5 months and invested the $200 and fixed it myself and it has been flawless for almost 2 years. While I shouldn't have had to do that, for my time and sanity was worth it. As for the class action lawsuit, good luck. You'll be lucky to get a 10% off coupon for a new Samsucks fridge about 10 years from now when/if it gets settled.

This entire thread is based on Samsucks icemakers that are located in the fridge section MOSTLY on the French Door models which is what the OP is about although by now you'd never know it. The topic has already gone way off course which isn't surprising so it will really get confusing because it has nothing to do with the GE stuff The Villages supplies. Good luck and keep good notes, names, times and dates on every call you make and every visit you get.
The following parts were delivered: DA81-05595A sealant, DA97-12540G auger motor, DA97-08680G ice case assembly/ice route, DA82-02695A ice maker repair kit, DA97-1447C assembly ice tray. NO CIRCUIT BOARD.
Old 01-26-2022, 06:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
The following parts were delivered: DA81-05595A sealant, DA97-12540G auger motor, DA97-08680G ice case assembly/ice route, DA82-02695A ice maker repair kit, DA97-1447C assembly ice tray. NO CIRCUIT BOARD.
Interesting as that part number includes the computer board. LINK: DA82-02695A - Samsung Ice Maker Service Kit | Parts Dr

Everything else looks great (just make sure he installs it all and seals it). I guess it is possible your model year has the updated board. Mine was manufactured in May 2017 and the boards were definitely different. Manu date is on the sticker inside the fridge. Don't let him leave without sealing it or he's just wasting your time. The warm air from the fridge (especially when you open it in the summer) gets into the ice maker through the openings (see the video I posted) slightly melting the ice then it refreezes into a solid block. The circuit board was changed to update the defrost cycle.

Not sure how he can (properly) seal it without you leaving it off for a number of hours and fully defrosting and drying it. I guess worse case you could seal it yourself when he leaves.
Closed Thread

Tags
samsung, call, refrigerator, model, numbers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.