Satellite radio help

Closed Thread
Old 12-04-2016, 10:12 AM
Sage
Default Satellite radio help

Help. I have a new car that does not have satellite radio and I want it. Can anyone help me what kit to buy and how to get it installed?
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 12-04-2016, 10:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

My neighbor had one installed in his golf cart at Best Buy. You can pick up this one for $38 at BB. The biggest expense will be the installation, probably $150 to $200 at BB. Their website said the Lady Lake store has 3 in stock.

SiriusXM Stratus 7 Satellite Radio with PowerConnect Vehicle Kit Black SSV7V1 - Best Buy

The Villages Florida

This one is on sale at BB for $30, they can get it in 3 days.

XM Onyx EZ Satellite Radio Receiver with PowerConnect Vehicle Kit Black XEZ1V1 - Best Buy

The Villages Florida
Old 12-04-2016, 11:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,088 Times in 2,230 Posts

Check your owners manual, or with your dealer to see if your car has any auxiliary inputs (RCA jacks, 1/8 inch stereo jack, USB or similar), then as mentioned above look for an after market satellite radio with a matching connector. Since this would be plug and play, you should be able to install yourself. NOTE: the auxiliary inputs may be hidden, on my Mustang, it is located in the center console storage compartment, not in the dash or on the radio!
Old 12-04-2016, 02:10 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
Help. I have a new car that does not have satellite radio and I want it. Can anyone help me what kit to buy and how to get it installed?
Of your car is new, it probably comes equipped with Bluetooth. U can stream your songs right from your phone into your car speakers. Iheart radio works great, too. Good luck. Peace out...

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2016, 02:29 PM
Sage

It does have an auxiliary input in the little bin below the radio
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 12-04-2016, 02:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
It does have an auxiliary input in the little bin below the radio
You should be set, take your car to Best Buy, go to the auto section, give them the make and model, etc., and they should be able to get you a unit that will plug in. Add a suitable mounting system, and you should be good to go.
Hope this helps.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:06 PM
Sage

On top of buying and installing the radio you will need to pay a monthly fee to have the satellite radio. I'm thinking ours $20 per month.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:13 PM

If you call SirirusXM they often run a special promotion where they'll ship you a basic auto or home radio kit if you sign up for a subscription/membership.

Special Offers - Shop SiriusXM

Best
Old 12-04-2016, 03:45 PM

While I really enjoyed Sirius during the free trial that came with my SUV, I did not sign up for it after that. My wife signed up a few years ago, and it took us months (and many irate phone calls and letters) to get the service cancelled and stop the charges.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:52 AM

I've had XM since 2004. Use a portable that I use in an XM Boombox, my Civic, or my truck. Very inexpensive. Can work with either plug in or with radio sync. I've never paid over 5 dollars a month for service.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:19 AM
Platinum member

(1) I had a built in SAT Radio system installed in a BMW and it was pretty expensive to install. Can't remember the exact amount, but it was several hundred dollars.

(2) In several cars my family has owned we have purchased a small SAT Radio kit from Sirius XM and they work great. Probably less than $50 total invested. Comes with a mount choice of either on an air vent or with a peel and stick base or one that attaches to a sand bag type mount that sits on the dash. The radio works off existing FM radio. It will send the signal to an unused FM point on your tuner and you have the radio. It's really very simple to install. If I can do it, anyone can! Plugs into a cigarette lighter and the antenna wire can run from the magnetic antenna that sticks on the car top and the wire run in a very hidden way. Works great! Only thing is when you travel away from the FM tuner point you are using locally, you have to find another one that works, but it's quite simple and quick to do.

Satellite radio vehicle installation guide
Old 12-08-2016, 10:17 AM

Have the same unit in my wife's Audi. Hardest part is running the antenna wire to keep it hidden.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred R View Post
I've had XM since 2004. Use a portable that I use in an XM Boombox, my Civic, or my truck. Very inexpensive. Can work with either plug in or with radio sync. I've never paid over 5 dollars a month for service.
Fred,
I have Sirius built into one of our cars, enjoyed the 6 months free, and then paid for 6 months, but as I recall it was well over $10/mo, so I am really curious how you got $5/month.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:35 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Fred,
I have Sirius built into one of our cars, enjoyed the 6 months free, and then paid for 6 months, but as I recall it was well over $10/mo, so I am really curious how you got $5/month.
I believe the $5 per month is good for 6 months and then u pay the regular rate. I have music only and pay $10 per month

Tags
satellite, radio, kit, buy, installed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.