Satellite TV Options

Closed Thread
Old 10-11-2012, 10:50 AM
Platinum member
Default Satellite TV Options

We pay $139.34 monthly for our Comcast Cable internet and TV. They have removed National Geographic from our lineup. I called and they wanted to charge "Special" of $10 more per month to receive a tier that includes National Geographic.

So question is what folks think of Satellite TV. Does it work well with your computer? What are their prices? Do you get National Geographic"

If I break down bill:
Xfinity TV 81.89
Internet 47.95
Taxes. 9.50

Total139.34
Tampa, FL
Old 10-11-2012, 01:57 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avista View Post
We pay $139.34 monthly for our Comcast Cable internet and TV. They have removed National Geographic from our lineup. I called and they wanted to charge "Special" of $10 more per month to receive a tier that includes National Geographic.

So question is what folks think of Satellite TV. Does it work well with your computer? What are their prices? Do you get National Geographic"

If I break down bill:
Xfinity TV 81.89
Internet 47.95
Taxes. 9.50

Total139.34
I would keep cable INTERNET, faster than Satelite. But dump the TV portion and go with DirecTv.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:57 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avista View Post

If I break down bill:
Xfinity TV 81.89
Internet 47.95
Taxes. 9.50

Total139.34
Most satellite internet options (if they offer them at all) are not particularly fast. If you just want TV, in many ways you can usually negotiate a decent priced TV-only package from either Direct or DishNet than you can from ComCast. BUT...if you need the internet, that's where your troubles begin. The Sat guys do not always offer internet combo plans, and as I stated above, when offered, the satellite internet plans are not all that fast. So that leaves you looking for an internet provider. Comcast and virtually any other cable company charges an unmitigated fortune for "internet only" service unless you are purchasing it for a bona-fide business. So while you might save some cash with Direct or DishNet for your TV, you will pay through the nose for cable if you need to buy an internet only package from the cable guys. Of course you could always go to the TelCo for a DSL package added to your phone line. That will be no worse or better than what the Sat company packages offer.

Of course then you've got split bills & split service arrangements and so on. You'll save a couple dollars on one package but pay it out on the other service. Unfortunately they've got you coming and going. In the long run you are usually better off to pick one service you can live with and stay with them. The grass is usually not greener on the other side despite what their ads will tell you...More often than not, there are only different shades of gray.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:59 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian View Post
I would keep cable INTERNET, faster than Satelite. But dump the TV portion and go with DirecTv.
you get what you pay for. there are different tiers for internet as well as tv channels. pay more and get more.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Veteran member

Comcast stand alone 3+ mb internet is just under $36 per month with tax. I'm currently getting close to 4 mb which is plenty for light video streaming.

DirecTV with NatGeo and NatGeo Wild channels in HD is just under $100 for two TVs and a great DVR plus insurance. I believe the first year intro price was about $60 per month.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.