Sam's Club

Closed Thread
Old 03-13-2015, 04:21 PM
Sage
Question Sam's Club

I only visited a Sam's Club once, and it was over 20 years ago. It was in Lakeland, FL. and was about a half hour drive from my central Florida home.
Basically, I just looked at the food section because I didn't have a lot of time.

I didn't like anything about it because everything came in jumbo sizes. It seems it might be good for a big family? Also, I thought it was ridiculous that one would have to pay a fee to join.

Has anything changed in 20+ years to make it better? I've never visited Sam's Club in The Villages.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:01 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

You summed it up pretty well. I like their meats but I know this doesn't inyerest you. You can get some good buys on electronics, especially tvs. Bulk is handy for some things if you have the room, such as cleaning supplies and paper products. Decent wine selection. Some good deals on seasonal items. Love their buckets of Preen and cat sand.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-13-2015, 05:20 PM
Sage

When I was in TV I went once a week to Sams for their vegetables and fruits. Quality and price can't be beat. Also an excellent deal on spices, sun dried tomatoes, kalamata olives, olive oil etc. etc. Don't have a Sams or Costco where I now live and do miss it a lot.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:48 PM

We like SAMs, it well pays for the membership fee we pay but we do call it the hundred dollar store. Even if we go for one little thing, it seems to cost at least a hundred dollars every time we got here.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,022 Times in 454 Posts

Most people don't know that you don't have to be a member to shop at their liquor store, which is outside the main store. Mostly big bottles, limited selection, good prices. You do have to be a member to shop their wines in the main store.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:16 AM

I know vegetarians who use warehouse clubs. But you do need storage. You can get large bags of beans, rice and oats, for example. There are some good fruit and vegetable buys. If you are curious, why not go in and ask if you can take a look around?
Old 03-14-2015, 08:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
I only visited a Sam's Club once, and it was over 20 years ago. It was in Lakeland, FL. and was about a half hour drive from my central Florida home.
Basically, I just looked at the food section because I didn't have a lot of time.

I didn't like anything about it because everything came in jumbo sizes. It seems it might be good for a big family? Also, I thought it was ridiculous that one would have to pay a fee to join.

Has anything changed in 20+ years to make it better? I've never visited Sam's Club in The Villages.
The basic idea of a food club, whether it be Sam's or Costco or BJ's or whatever is that you save money by buying large quantities at near wholesale prices.

I agree, it's better for large families, but you can save on certain items. They have good deals on electronics and other large purchases. We go about once a month and stock up on non perishables such as paper towels and cleaning products. We also buy almost a month's worth of meat and stock the freezer. For things that we need to buy fresh we make a run to Publix or Winn Dixie. But over the course of a year, we find that we save well over the $100 annual fee. We also get gas there which is usually only a few cents cheaper than other local stations, but it's not out of the way so every little bit helps.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:45 AM
Platinum member

Where else can you get a barrel of Jack for $10,000
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	48990  

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 03-14-2015, 08:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
Where else can you get a barrel of Jack for $10,000
Could we go halvsies?
Old 03-14-2015, 09:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I believe you can go in on a visitors pass to check it out. That would probably answer your questions about whether it is a good fit for you and your buying habits. Regarding the fee to join, if what you save is greater than the annual fee then it is a net savings.

Quote:

Old 03-14-2015, 09:43 AM
Gold member

Don't go to Sams Club... it is too crowded and the fewer that go the better.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,362 Times in 2,394 Posts

Quote:

That would make sense...................then you could form your own opinion.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:13 PM
Veteran member

Many of the clubs go there for their supplies and it is great for shopping for parties, especially at the holidays when they have more appetizers and the like. Good prices on wine and good price and quality of meats..
Old 03-14-2015, 12:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
The basic idea of a food club, whether it be Sam's or Costco or BJ's or whatever is that you save money by buying large quantities at near wholesale prices.

I agree, it's better for large families, but you can save on certain items. They have good deals on electronics and other large purchases. We go about once a month and stock up on non perishables such as paper towels and cleaning products. We also buy almost a month's worth of meat and stock the freezer. For things that we need to buy fresh we make a run to Publix or Winn Dixie. But over the course of a year, we find that we save well over the $100 annual fee. We also get gas there which is usually only a few cents cheaper than other local stations, but it's not out of the way so every little bit helps.
Thanks, you summed it up very well. I'm surprised that the annual fee is now $100. When I went many years ago I think it was about $25.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbkmaine View Post
I know vegetarians who use warehouse clubs. But you do need storage. You can get large bags of beans, rice and oats, for example. There are some good fruit and vegetable buys. If you are curious, why not go in and ask if you can take a look around?
I just might do that, thanks.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.