savannah shows and rocky

Closed Thread
Old 01-13-2020, 03:55 PM
Veteran member
Default savannah shows and rocky

is it just me, but when I pay to see a show I would like to see the group I paid to see . not rocky and the rollers. im going to see the grass roots at the savannah center. rocky will play for an hour and the grass roots 45 min.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I loved the Grass Roots but just like Kansas, Badfinger and many others, if they don't have the original singer it takes away some of the nostalgia. Unfortunately the original singer Rob Grill died in 2011 when he fell of the roof of his home in Leesburg. Creed Bratton of the Office was a Grass Roots guitarist in the 60's, currently there is no member in the band that belong prior to 1984.

I'm not against seeing bands with other singers. I saw Molly Hatchet last week and only 2 members date back to '84 and '87 and I saw the Yardbirds and only the drummer was original. I wanted to hear music by Molly Hatchet and the Yardbirds, so I went for those reasons. I had ticket for Artemus Pyle Band, he was the drummer of Lynyrd Skynyrd from 1975 until 1991, and after watching youtube videos, they played all the songs and were great, however they cancelled the shows, I guess didn't sell enough tickets. Enjoy the show.

The Villages Florida

Creed is second from left, the late Rob Grill vocalist and bassist is in the middle with shades.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

Last edited by John_W; 01-13-2020 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Warm up band. Certainly not anything new. I guess you could just go later, after Rocky is finished.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I wouldn't mind listening to Rocky a little longer at all! Wooden Spoons on Cardboard Boxes? Just Amazing!
Old 01-13-2020, 06:17 PM
Veteran member

Typical warm-up band. Rocky's band is terrific. But plays the same music over and over .............and over.

I really wish he would stick to the Town Squares. He has a following and is very popular along with Scotter the DJ. They keep the Kiosk busy which is why they are there.

Rocky, stick with the Town Squares. Thanks in Advance
Old 01-13-2020, 08:19 PM
Veteran member

If you don't want to sit through the opener, you might want to consider doing what I do. I go to about three concerts a month on average (New Order tomorrow night in Miami!). I always try to arrive a little before the headliner comes on because I don't want to see opening acts either (although there are sometimes exceptions). Good timing requires some research though. You have to know whether the headliner is playing by themselves or with an opener. If they have opening acts, you have to know how many. I sometimes call the venue and ask when the headliner will be on. Whatever they say, add 30 minutes. They want you there early to buy drinks.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:46 PM
Sage

Opening bands, it all depends. I saw U2 on the Unforgettable Fire Tour in Jacksonville in '85 and the Red Rockers were the opening act. Didn't know anything about them, so I arrived at 9pm and the stage was empty and U2 hadn't come on yet, it was good.

Saw Foreigner '4' tour 1982 in Savannah and opening band was a guy I never heard of, Bryan Adams.

Saw Scorpions "Love at First Sting Tour" '84 in Savannah, opening band was a guy I never heard of, Bon Jovi.

I could go on, but the point is, some opening bands can surprise, or even become very famous, and sometimes you can skip them. Saw Boston in Columbia Maryland '96 Greatest Hits Tour and had no opening act.

Here's a good one. Saw Cat Mother & the All Night News Boys in St. Petersburg in '69, their album was produced by Jimi Hendrix. The opening band, The Allman Bros who had not released an album as yet. They blew everyone away!
Old 01-13-2020, 09:57 PM
Veteran member

I wonder if any Villagers saw Jimi Hendrix open for the Monkees in 1967. I saw them in Boston in 1967, but our opener was Lulu (To Sir With Love). Darn.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by village dreamer View Post
is it just me, but when I pay to see a show I would like to see the group I paid to see . not rocky and the rollers. im going to see the grass roots at the savannah center. rocky will play for an hour and the grass roots 45 min.
??? Would you rather go to a 45 minute show?
Old 01-14-2020, 08:38 AM
Default Rocky Productions puts on most of the shows here

You may not like to see Rocky and the Rollers at the shows, but you do not know that Rocky Productions brings in most, if not all, of the famous entertainers that you see here in TV. And most of the groups that you see here at the shows no longer have bands to back them up. If it wasn't for Rocky, you wouldn't have all these great entertainers here at all. The Villages entertainment does not bring them in here. Rocky does.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
I wonder if any Villagers saw Jimi Hendrix open for the Monkees in 1967. I saw them in Boston in 1967, but our opener was Lulu (To Sir With Love). Darn.
No but I saw Herman’s Hermits (think Peter Noone) opening for The Who! Talk about mismatched music and mismatched fans!! 😱
Old 01-14-2020, 09:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetMM View Post
No but I saw Herman’s Hermits (think Peter Noone) opening for The Who! Talk about mismatched music and mismatched fans!! 😱
Did you go last week, Peter Noone was at the SC, he comes every year because he knows it will be a sellout. I would like to see Mark Lindsey of Paul Revere and the Raiders, I emailed his website but got no response and he's in Florida and cruise ships all the time. The Raiders without Mark who quit in the 70's and even without Paul Revere since he had died, were at the Sharon a couple of years ago. I didn't go to that.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:10 AM

Sometimes Mark Lindsey plays with the annual "Happy Together Tour".
Old 01-14-2020, 11:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorkl46 View Post
Sometimes Mark Lindsey plays with the annual "Happy Together Tour".
He's usually on the Cruises doing that show. Check out youtube, Mickey Dolenz, Flo & Eddie and Mark Lindsey, but I haven't taken any of those cruises.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
Old 01-14-2020, 11:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonuser1 View Post
You may not like to see Rocky and the Rollers at the shows, but you do not know that Rocky Productions brings in most, if not all, of the famous entertainers that you see here in TV. And most of the groups that you see here at the shows no longer have bands to back them up. If it wasn't for Rocky, you wouldn't have all these great entertainers here at all. The Villages entertainment does not bring them in here. Rocky does.
Exactly plus Rocky has a following of those that appreciate the era he represents. Most of the original members of the bands we love are either dead or can no longer sing. Rocky plays back up for most of the groups he brings in plus he travels with many of them. Friends in PA saw him at a concert in Hershey PA. If his music isn't for you, and since most of the groups are reformatted groups, why even go? It should be about the music right? By the way, if you went to Grass Roots concerts anywhere else you would hear the same songs over and over. Would that stop you from going to see them?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Closed Thread

Tags
rocky, grass, roots, savannah, min

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.