Car rentals

Closed Thread
Old 04-22-2011, 12:42 PM
Veteran member
Default Car rentals

We have been thinking about flying down from Canada for 2 months and renting a car down here for "out of the bubble" excursions and driving to Southern Trace, 441 or Mulberry Rec centre from Poinciana. Does anyone rent their car for a couple of months and who has the best price? We probably would fly into Orlando. Thanks for any input.

LW888
Old 04-22-2011, 12:53 PM
Sage

I have found the best prices are by using Hotwire. For example my upcoming trip, with mid size car, for 17 days is $291 total all in.

For two months it's going to be expensive no mater what. Perhaps you could rent only for days you need it. There is an Enterprise rental within TV. You could get around on the campus with golf cart only.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:19 PM
Send a message via AIM to DENNIS G Send a message via MSN to DENNIS G
Default Car rentals

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightworker888 View Post
We have been thinking about flying down from Canada for 2 months and renting a car down here for "out of the bubble" excursions and driving to Southern Trace, 441 or Mulberry Rec centre from Poinciana. Does anyone rent their car for a couple of months and who has the best price? We probably would fly into Orlando. Thanks for any input.

LW888
Enterprise has an office in Lake Sumter Landing, Hertz has one in Spanish Springs. Both are available at the airport in Orlando. I have used both companies, but I like Enterprise the best. Was the most reasonalble the last time we rented a van. Have a great day.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:06 PM
Veteran member

Sometimes I have been able to get a good rate for a longer rental through the 'name your own price' feature on Priceline.

A nice thing about Enterprise is that they will pick you up at / take you home.

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:22 PM

Enterprise has wonderful rates on the weekend so if you can get by with just a golf cart during the week, renting a car on the weekends is the way to go.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:20 PM
Veteran member
Default Car rental

Thanks for your input. Rental on the weekend might work well. I just figured out how to get to SS with the cart so now the Rolling Acres area is within cart reach for me! Have to work out the Mulberry area and negotiating the 466 tunnel around Laurel Manor. Once I get that down, I can see that renting when we need could work. My husband suggested that getting a 2nd cart could make us both mobile around TV and then daily car rental would work. Monthly rental is definitely out of the question. Thanks again for all the comments and suggestions.

LW888
Old 04-23-2011, 08:35 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoker View Post
Enterprise has wonderful rates on the weekend so if you can get by with just a golf cart during the week, renting a car on the weekends is the way to go.
The lovely Diane and I got around for three months last winter with (mostly) just a golf cart. We rented a total of 10 days out of 90 days we rented in Mallory Square.

There were a few evenings we didn't venture out, and a few we wished we hadn't, but it was adequate overall.

We met many nice folks when we carpooled to Segway, birding, and skeet shooting outings (we always bought lunch for the owners because we were not able to reciprocate rides).

You'll get by just fine with a cart. You can go anywhere you need to go in TV with a cart.

The weekend rates at Enterprise are good. Always reserve a mid-sized car and you may get a free upgrade to a bigger car. Ask for Ray, and tell him the guy who rented the black Camaro in March for an extra 10 bucks a day says "Hello".

"Live life while you're alive, because when you're dead, you're dead a long time".- Roland Michael Curtis
Old 04-23-2011, 08:37 PM

By far--Hotwire has the best prices. Friends came last month & paid $8.99 a day.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:08 PM

If you want a long term rental stay away from the airport. There are extra charges just for picking a car up from the airport.
Each Enterprise location had different rates.
We found a great Enterprise rate at a body shop 25 miles away from TV.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspal View Post
By far--Hotwire has the best prices. Friends came last month & paid $8.99 a day.
jaspal
we have used Priceline and the pricing was good, 68.00 total for a weekend versus 140.00 for anyone else thru normal on line sites, the only negative is that Priceline charges your Credit card as soon as you book it,no problem for 68.00 but I need to think twice about doing it for our summer visit which will be for 2 plus weeks. Is Hotwire the same?
Old 04-24-2011, 01:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljones190 View Post
jaspal
we have used Priceline and the pricing was good, 68.00 total for a weekend versus 140.00 for anyone else thru normal on line sites, the only negative is that Priceline charges your Credit card as soon as you book it,no problem for 68.00 but I need to think twice about doing it for our summer visit which will be for 2 plus weeks. Is Hotwire the same?
Yes Hotwire is the same re: upfront payment.

But they do guarantee that the rental is from certain in-terminal agencies at Orlando.

I've had no problem or surprises when using them.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:02 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I would just use the cart and rent from Enterprise in LSL once every couple weeks for a couple days to get off campus. That lets you go to Disney, Home Depot, Ocala, Mt Dora, eat out at some different places and lowers the overall cost. I would also get Enterprise at the airport and drop it at LSL with the cart. Same when I return to the airport. Spend $80 every two weeks for a car while your there and on each end.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.