Saw a Bird Today

Closed Thread
Old 05-26-2019, 01:27 PM
Default Saw a Bird Today

I saw a bird fly over SeaBreeze Pool this morning, and I thought to myself...gee that looks like an Egret, only with black wingtips, and I thought a red patch across his head. Rather like a Sandhill but I thought it was white. Could it have been a Whooping Crane? do they come around here? Maybe a stork? Maybe it was a Sandhill that was appeared lighter? I only saw the bird for a moment, but I need a bird expert to help
Old 05-26-2019, 02:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapple View Post
I saw a bird fly over SeaBreeze Pool this morning, and I thought to myself...gee that looks like an Egret, only with black wingtips, and I thought a red patch across his head. Rather like a Sandhill but I thought it was white. Could it have been a Whooping Crane? do they come around here? Maybe a stork? Maybe it was a Sandhill that was appeared lighter? I only saw the bird for a moment, but I need a bird expert to help
Sounds like a White Ibis.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:29 PM
Veteran member

If the legs and beak were pinkish (which may have given you the impression of red on the head) and the bill curved downwards, it was definitely a White Ibis. The Egrets around here (Great Egrets, Snowy Egrets or Cattle Egrets) don't have black wingtips. White birds with black wingtips include White Ibis (here year-round), White Pelicans and Wood Storks (both pretty much gone for the season).

Due to the rarity of Whooping Cranes, it seems unlikely that would have been what it was. Sandhill cranes look pretty enormous when flying, definitely have red on the head (though that's not always that visible) but would likely not appear to be white and don't have black wingtips.

If you're interested in bird watching, please feel welcome to join us in The Village Birders when meetings reconvene in October. They're held on the third Saturday of the month at the Paradise recreation center. Go to Village Birders | The Village Birders for futher details!
Old 05-28-2019, 09:36 PM
Veteran member

Ibis don't have red head.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by big guy View Post
Ibis don't have red head.
If the legs and beak were pinkish (which may have given you the impression of red on the head) and the bill curved downwards, it was definitely a White Ibis
Closed Thread

Tags
bird, thought, sandhill, whooping, moment

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.