Citizens debit card for foreign ATMs

Closed Thread
Old 06-12-2018, 07:17 PM
Platinum member
Default Citizens debit card for foreign ATMs

Has anyone had any problem using a Citizens debit card in European ATMs? I'm going to check to see what the transaction fees are currently.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:35 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
Has anyone had any problem using a Citizens debit card in European ATMs? I'm going to check to see what the transaction fees are currently.
You should call the number on the card and ask them about the specific countries you will be in to find your answer. I have had instances where it is usable in one country and not another in Europe. You would need to call them anyway to let them know you are travelling and plan on using the card outside of your "normal" travel area.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:30 PM

I've used mine at ATMs in Spain, Germany, Switzerland, France and probably The Netherlands. Just look for ATMs with the Cirrus logo - like the one on your card.
Best to notify Citizens First before you go and use it shortly before you leave to make sure it works.
Also good to have a second Debit card from another bank and also a second credit card (chip and pin if you can find one) - both carried by your spouse in case your pocket gets picked.
Consider recording the emergency phone numbers for all of them so you can have them immediately deactivated and replaced if lost or stolen.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Try to use ATM,s inside premises, as apposed to the street ones.
Skimming is common in Europe, and UK. (but not paranoia level)
Old 06-13-2018, 10:39 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

I opened a Schwab account years ago and have used their debit card all over the world, no fees. I lost my first Schwab card in Turkey and called their 800 number; they offered to send me another free of charge. Great outfit! Prior to opening that account I had found my B of A card would not always work, even in France and Germany. I carry a Wells Fargo card as a backup.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-13-2018, 11:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

I remember being notified by Citizens First that to withdraw cash from savings/checking you must use an ATM that is in the Presto Network or through the many bank ATMs throughout The Villages. I look for a Publix store when travelling. I'll have to recheck this.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:43 AM
Sage

I never use a debit card at all, unless its inside a branch of my bank--if a debit card is hacked your cash can vaporize and its gone, no protection-the only time we use cash is to pay our cleaning person

credit cards are protected--and you get cash back for using them
Closed Thread

Tags
citizens, atms, debit, card, check

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.