Scam

Closed Thread
Old 12-06-2020, 02:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I would agree if the check is a regular check. But, the OP is referring to a "certified" check. A certified check means that the funds are being held by the issuing bank and cannot be removed. If merchants can verify a debit/gift card instantly, the banking industry could tighten up the certified check process to do the same thing. The only way this scam works is if the certified check is counterfeit.
You are correct, but since he never got it it would obviously have been fake. It is so easy to print any kind of check you want and call it anything you want, certified check , cashier check, bank check. Big problem is Federal law requires these fake/counterfeit checks be paid in 24hrs. So when fake check are deposited the bank (you don't even have to go to the bank to do it) the bank has to pay you fast and by the time it goes thru the Fed system the check bounces and you gotta pay it back. If they had to verify every check for funds the system would crawl to a halt.

Couple interesting articles for those interested:

Access Denied

Cashier’s check scams on Craigslist, explained - Vox
Old 02-07-2021, 09:54 AM

I just received a text from the same phone number asking for the same information. This is a scammer.
Old 02-09-2021, 10:40 AM
Veteran member

This scam is still on-going. Same phone number 773-741-1933 Selling an item here --received text from this number. At first didn't sound bad UNTIL text informed us that the certified check being sent would include shipping cost of item and we were to deposit and then send check to shipper, etc., to cover costs. When I searched phone number on internet TOV posts came up.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:02 AM

You can avoid these scams by putting "local pick up" and "cash only" is your sales item description.

Any email that asks for anything else can be ignored.
Old 04-23-2021, 01:37 PM

I didn't respond to their texts and only used email to correspond. The following emails belong to the scammers: vivianenheart@gmail.com; paymentcenter@financier.com. They use real addresses in Homosassa, FL; Fair Haven, VT; and Columbus, OH. I made a report with Wildwood Police.
Old 04-23-2021, 01:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
My question to the banking industry is "why not stop this scam?" Why would a reputable bank accept a certified check that they must suspect is bogus or require checks to be immediately verifiable? I think they are complicit in this type of scam. Shame on banks who allow their customers to get ripped off.

They hardly ever catch the scammers or hackers. Main reason 99% aren’t even in this country IMO. I think there no gun involved so it’s low priority? My house once for burglarized, once LEO found out none of my guns was missing they lost interest and left.
Old 04-23-2021, 02:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueParis View Post
I didn't respond to their texts and only used email to correspond. The following emails belong to the scammers: vivianenheart@gmail.com; paymentcenter@financier.com. They use real addresses in Homosassa, FL; Fair Haven, VT; and Columbus, OH. I made a report with Wildwood Police.
Yiu would think LEO would be visiting those locations, I sure an address or PO Box attached. Again IMO it low priority
Old 04-23-2021, 06:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

These scams are older than even 2 Ladies in a Golf Cart w/Clipboard, or Dog Poop or Costco threads but not quite as old as Trader Joe's or Whole Foods threads.
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Closed Thread

Tags
item, knew, real, wanted, scam

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.