Scam

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Old 10-16-2020, 01:49 PM
Default Scam

Admin, today I received a text for an item I was selling asking for me to remove the item and they would send me a certified bank check after I gave them my information. Of course I knew this was not real but wanted to bring attention to it. The phone number they texted me from was 773-741-1933.
Old 10-16-2020, 03:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,264 Times in 520 Posts

I would assume that if the scammer did NOT post on this forum but only sent you a text as you wrote in your post to your phone there isn't much an admin could do. Good catch though, that's a common scam going around for years. Glad you picked up on it.

VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE (only once)! Vote like your life depends on it .... it might.
Old 10-16-2020, 05:59 PM

Got the same text about something I had to sell. Told them cash or no sale New it was a scam when the certified check bs came up
Old 10-16-2020, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj1210 View Post
Admin, today I received a text for an item I was selling asking for me to remove the item and they would send me a certified bank check after I gave them my information. Of course I knew this was not real but wanted to bring attention to it. The phone number they texted me from was 773-741-1933.
That’s the exact # I received a text from. I played along a little until I was positive it was a scam. My item was substantial, I was somewhat prepared for the scam. He insisted to send me a bank draft for the full price, for which he did. Prior to my receiving his “bank draft”, he notified me that his secretary had mistakenly included the shipping cost. Once I received the check, I was told to deposit it in my account, then send a check to him for the overage. What a deal...he buys my item sight unseen, pays full price, plus shipping cost. What could possibly go wrong?
They wanted my account information that would be stamped on the check and/or get my account information on the check for the overage.
The two weeks later, I received a text message with exactly the same verbiage, from a different #.
DON’T GET SUCKED IN!!
I hope many read this and become suspicious immediately.
PS. The other phone #’s are:
773-644-5103
607-930-4556

Last edited by foxmeadow; 10-16-2020 at 06:38 PM.

Tags
item, knew, real, wanted, scam

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.