Scam call from Direct TV

Closed Thread
Old 07-17-2020, 04:47 PM
Platinum member
Default Scam call from Direct TV

Has anyone received an unsolicited call from Direct TV saying they needed to check the receiver. I was directed to hold the Info button for 10 seconds which popped up a "Run Receiver check." I got that far and became suspicious so I told them I wanted to check with Direct TV. I did report it to the fraud department but am wondering if anyone else has had this experience.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,937 Times in 5,277 Posts

Think they were up to no good
Old 07-17-2020, 07:27 PM
Veteran member

We got a call a couple of days ago from a number with a Directv ID, but I did not answer, as Malwarebytes and TrueCaller said it was a probable scam. Googled the number, and it had been reported as a scam
Old 07-17-2020, 07:55 PM
Gold member

If they call you, or email you don’t reply. Contact them yourself if necessary.
Old 07-17-2020, 08:29 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGVillages View Post
If they call you, or email you don’t reply. Contact them yourself if necessary.
We have a home phone (Ooma) and our 2 cell phones. We DON'T ANSWER ANY CALL DIRECTLY UNLESS we know the caller (CALLER ID) via Contact List. period.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
Has anyone received an unsolicited call from Direct TV saying they needed to check the receiver. I was directed to hold the Info button for 10 seconds which popped up a "Run Receiver check." I got that far and became suspicious so I told them I wanted to check with Direct TV. I did report it to the fraud department but am wondering if anyone else has had this experience.
Any time you receive phone call from 800 number don’t answer it. Google that number 99.9 precent of the time it’s scam. Funny how they can track our every move with cell phone but can catch scammers. I get at least 4 scam calls day. I don’t even answer the phone unless I know who calling. It they don’t leave message it’s scam anyway. Sad, but that world we live in today online electronic age. You can’t block them either, they have hundreds of 800 numbers, the computer just called using another number.
Old 07-18-2020, 04:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,411 Times in 5,104 Posts

Possibly the biggest scammer of all is the Federal Government who keeps telling us that they are fixing the problem.
Old 07-18-2020, 07:02 AM

Why are you putting up with junk callers? If you hear your telephone or cellphone ring, and you have to look at the CallerID information, you have already been disturbed and annoyed. The junk callers can be silently filtered out of you life, if you chose to do so.

If you have a landline, you need to buy a $90 device that will silently screen out junk calls. It called a Digitone Pro Series 2 Call Blocker.

You then program a “White List” of telephone numbers that you want to “ring through”. Telephone numbers or names that are not on the “White List” can only silently leave a voicemail. When you discover a new number to be added to your “White List”, that is easy to do. The junk callers will still attempt to call your landline, but they will be totally silenced. Junk callers almost never leave voicemail. Most people only have about 20 to 30 known telephone numbers that call you.

This device can also be programmed for a “Black List”. But “Black Lists” are totally ineffective. Junk callers can present you a fake telephone number or name with each call. There are billions of possible telephone number and name combinations.

After you setup that landline telephone screening device, the junk callers will never ring your landline again. The junk callers will still try, but they will silently fail! After that point in time, whenever your landline rings, it will be a caller you want to answer.

If you’re expecting a call from a doctor after an appointment from an unknown telephone number, you can temporarily open up the junk caller filtering.

Digitone Order Page

If you have an iPhone, you can stop the junk callers very easily. Go to “Settings”, “Phone”, turn on “Silence Unknown Callers”. Unknown callers can still silently leave voicemail. Junk callers virtually never leave voicemail. Additional new telephone numbers can be added to your contact list, so those telephone numbers will ring through.

This feature can be turned off temporarily if you are expecting an unknown number after a doctors appointment. I don’t know if this important feature is available with a “Android” cellphone. If not, replace your cellphone with an iPhone. The iPhones usually are more expensive, but are superior in quality over the “Android” cellphones.

So, it’s your choice to stop being annoyed by the junk callers, if you want to remove the junk callers from your life!
Old 07-18-2020, 07:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Why are you putting up with junk callers? If you hear your telephone or cellphone ring, and you have to look at the CallerID information, you have already been disturbed and annoyed. The junk callers can be silently filtered out of you life, if you chose to do so.

If you have a landline, you need to buy a $90 device that will silently screen out junk calls. It called a Digitone Pro Series 2 Call Blocker.

You then program a “White List” of telephone numbers that you want to “ring through”. Telephone numbers or names that are not on the “White List” can only silently leave a voicemail. When you discover a new number to be added to your “White List”, that is easy to do. The junk callers will still attempt to call your landline, but they will be totally silenced. Junk callers almost never leave voicemail. Most people only have about 20 to 30 known telephone numbers that call you.

This device can also be programmed for a “Black List”. But “Black Lists” are totally ineffective. Junk callers can present you a fake telephone number or name with each call. There are billions of possible telephone number and name combinations.

After you setup that landline telephone screening device, the junk callers will never ring your landline again. The junk callers will still try, but they will silently fail! After that point in time, whenever your landline rings, it will be a caller you want to answer.

If you’re expecting a call from a doctor after an appointment from an unknown telephone number, you can temporarily open up the junk caller filtering.

Digitone Order Page

If you have an iPhone, you can stop the junk callers very easily. Go to “Settings”, “Phone”, turn on “Silence Unknown Callers”. Unknown callers can still silently leave voicemail. Junk callers virtually never leave voicemail. Additional new telephone numbers can be added to your contact list, so those telephone numbers will ring through.

This feature can be turned off temporarily if you are expecting an unknown number after a doctors appointment. I don’t know if this important feature is available with a “Android” cellphone. If not, replace your cellphone with an iPhone. The iPhones usually are more expensive, but are superior in quality over the “Android” cellphones.

So, it’s your choice to stop being annoyed by the junk callers, if you want to remove the junk callers from your life!

The majority of people today don't have a landline. However when we moved down here 3yrs ago I had a VOIP landline and I had one of those devices but the general problem with them is when there may be an emergency call from an "unknown number" will be sent to voicemail. If you have family and there is an emergency and a call comes from a hospital or police station or whatever that has not been while listed you may not get it before it's too late.

Also if you have an iPhone there is a feature on it now to do that exact same thing. It's "allow known callers only." Any call NOT in your contacts (white list) is sent to voicemail. That creates the same problem though. If there is an emergency you may not know.
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:00 AM

Even the real Direct TV is a scam. They say they will give you 1000 channels, but 990 of them are just infomercials. Unless you want to pay exorbitant fees for actual TV.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
The majority of people today don't have a landline. However when we moved down here 3yrs ago I had a VOIP landline and I had one of those devices but the general problem with them is when there may be an emergency call from an "unknown number" will be sent to voicemail. If you have family and there is an emergency and a call comes from a hospital or police station or whatever that has not been while listed you may not get it before it's too late.

Also if you have an iPhone there is a feature on it now to do that exact same thing. It's "allow known callers only." Any call NOT in your contacts (white list) is sent to voicemail. That creates the same problem though. If there is an emergency you may not know.
Where is “ Allow Known Callers” on the iPhone? I only found, “Settings”, “Phone”, “Silence Unknown Callers” and “Settings”, “Messages”, “Filter Unknown Senders”. The iPhone isn’t clear what it does to those unknown texts. It says it puts them in a separate group. I don’t know what that means. The goal should be to filter out junk texts.

I know that a lot of people dropped their landlines. Sometimes old people really like their landlines and keep them!

If you want free a free VOIP service, try Google Voice. You can tie Google Voice to your telephone hardware using an Obihai 200 or 202. A set top box, which is a one time cost. The Google Voice line has lots of features, which are also free. Google Voice can also be used as a second telephone number for your cellphone, in case you don’t want to give out your real cellphone number.

That’s true about the unknown numbers. It’s possible that it could be an emergency call from an unknown number. That’s the trade off to stopping the junk callers.

I look at junk callers about the same as TV commercials. I’ve been skipping TV commercials for over a decade and blocking junk callers almost as long.

The old way to silence the junk callers with the iPhone was to set your default ringtone to silent, and then set a custom audible ringtone for each number on your contact list. That’s the old way to silence junk text messages too. I downloaded the ringtone “Silence, Void of Sound” to setup that old method. Texting allows a silent ringtone, but there isn’t a silence default for the phone ringtone on the iPhone. You had to get around that problem by downloading a silent ringtone. I could have created a silent ringtone, but that would have been more hassle than it’s worth for about a $1 downloadable silent ringtone.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:32 AM

I have direct tv and love it . I think the word scam is a bit strong
Old 07-18-2020, 08:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,937 Times in 5,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post

It is the emergency call or a useful call from someone not in our directory which causes us to answer the phone.

I do have the option of getting the crook on the phone and engaging in a silly conversation asking questions while walking around my house getting exercise.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get real View Post
Even the real Direct TV is a scam. They say they will give you 1000 channels, but 990 of them are just infomercials. Unless you want to pay exorbitant fees for actual TV.
Comcast no better claim 400 channels, just 65 repeated 5 timeS claiming HD BS.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Where is “ Allow Known Callers” on the iPhone? I only found, “Settings”, “Phone”, “Silence Unknown Callers” and “Settings”, “Messages”, “Filter Unknown Senders”.
That's it "SILENCE UNKNOWN CALLERS." Sorry, didn't have my phone with me when I posted that. I have had G.V. since it's beta days but you still need a device to use with it as you do with OOMA (or you can take calls on your phone).

Detect and block spam phone calls - Apple Support
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Closed Thread

Tags
direct, check, receiver, call, told

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.