Scammers on TOTV classifieds

Closed Thread
Old 07-10-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Why not just have the police or federal marshall there when it is picked up by the " pickup people", that would be a nice surprise.
The pick-up people are never going to come!
Old 07-10-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Doesn't sound right. When a bank issues a cashiers check, they verify that the account has the funds, and they place a hold on that money earmarked for that account and account number. Even if the name is changed on the account, the check should still be good. And, I don't think you can even change the name on a bank account. They would close out the account and open a new account with a different account number. The scam is based on them sending you a counterfeit cashiers check.
My bank told me that they do check to see if there is money in the account to cover the cashiers check and it cleared. Or maybe they were not concerned as there was enough money in my account to cover a bounced check!
Old 07-10-2020, 12:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,686 Times in 5,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melmab View Post
This is the 3rd time someone’s tried to scam me. I’ve listed an item for sale at$1000, they send me a certified check for 5 times that amount and then want me to give the remainder to the ‘pickup’ people. Do they think I’m an idiot! Anyone else had this problem?
Just to clarify, the check photo is not a certified or cashiers check. It appears to be a personal check, and the check number in the top right corner does not match the check number at the bottom. A true, bona fide cashiers or certified check will not bounce because it is guaranteed by the issuing bank.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:40 PM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melmab View Post
This is the 3rd time someone’s tried to scam me. I’ve listed an item for sale at$1000, they send me a certified check for 5 times that amount and then want me to give the remainder to the ‘pickup’ people. Do they think I’m an idiot! Anyone else had this problem?
old time scam
Old 07-10-2020, 12:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,686 Times in 5,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mady101 View Post
My bank told me that they do check to see if there is money in the account to cover the cashiers check and it cleared. Or maybe they were not concerned as there was enough money in my account to cover a bounced check!
Your second sentence is likely what happened. Genuine cashiers checks are prepared and guaranteed by the bank that issues them. They don't really have an account number because the funds are already being held by the issuing bank, not in a personal account. It wouldn't do any good to verify funds in a personal account because the account holder can remove the money anytime. Scammers make counterfeit cashiers checks, and I believe that banks should be able to verify a bogus check, but I guess they just don't care.
Old 07-10-2020, 02:07 PM
TOTV Moderator

Spammer has been removed from TOTV.

Closed Thread

Tags
scammers, remainder, amount, give, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.