Scary Roundabout Story

Closed Thread
Old 01-21-2008, 01:52 AM
Platinum member
Default Re: Scary Roundabout Story

These roundabouts are too small for all this lane changing!
Tampa, FL
Old 01-21-2008, 01:58 AM
Veteran member

The traffic lanes painted in the circles lead the inside lane into right turns. Haven't seen that anywhere else. Dangerous.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:11 PM

Simple roundabout rules:

Right lane to turn right or continue straight.
Left lane to continue straight, make left turn or continue around.

If you are in the right lane and continue around the roundabout you are
in effect making a left turn from the right lane something you would never think
of doing on a regular straight road, so why is a roundabout any different.

This idea of staying in the right lane all the time know matter where you are
going is wrong and a disaster waiting to happen.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:43 PM
Platinum member

The Sumter County Deputy says, Stay in the right lane." I still believe the circle is too small for lane changing. We are not in Europe.
Tampa, FL
Old 01-21-2008, 08:59 PM

By every driving standard the deputy is wrong on this one. Ask him if he will look the
other way the next time you make a left turn from the right lane. I don't think so.
If you stay in the right lane around the roundabout you are doing just what you are
complaining about CROSSING LANES!!!!!
Old 01-21-2008, 09:06 PM

I cannot believe a Deputy said to stay in the right lane as this is not only incorrect worldwide (which i do believe still includes TV) but also dangerous, surely if the inner lane was not for traffic use the engineer's would not have put it there, are this deputy's comments a rumor or is it in print anywhere?

The 2008 Villages Phone book (page 49) actually does a reasonable (if not long-winded) job of laying out roundabout instructions. Ar least they include the most important points, namely,

On approaching a roundabout, decide as early as possible which exit you need to take and get into the correct lane (1st exit right lane, straight on either lane, 3rd or any other exit left lane).

Upon reaching the roundabout yield line, Yield to Traffic circulating from the left (yield to traffic already on the roundabout)

When exiting the circulatory roadway (roundabout) from the outside track (lane), yield to leading or adjacent vehicles that are exiting into the same lane (yield to the inside lane if they are ahead or level with you)

The pieces about reducing speed, yielding to pedestrians, going around again if you miss your exit, and not stopping on the roundabout etc. should be common sense.

IMHO
Old 01-21-2008, 10:36 PM
Veteran member

The simplest solution would be to repaint the traffic lines and abolish exits from the inner lane. That's where the problem is the worst and most dangerous.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Don't be mislead by so called experts.....
Do what the villages and the Police tell you to do...Stay in the right lane and you will be fine......The circles are to small for lane changing and people who enter and exit from the inside lane across traffic are bound to get T-BONED someday , its just a matter of time.....

Fumar
Old 01-21-2008, 10:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member

jjdees is exactly right..........

Fumar
Old 01-21-2008, 11:19 PM

Where do The Villages or the Police say to stay in the right hand lane? the only place i have heard this is on TOTV forum,s, is there something in print or online? I would love to see it.

The Villages instructions for roundabout usage can be found in the resident Telephone directory on page 49 and certainly do not say to stay in the right hand lane.

However with all due respect to them i doubt neither TV or the local Police either design Roundabouts or have the power to issue rules regarding their use, this i am sure is done at State & Government level.

IMHO

Old 01-21-2008, 11:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member

This I think is one topic that will never be decided and that's OK, I for one have seen the instructional video's and driven in the UK and from what I've seen there's absolutely nothing wrong with turning right from the inside lane, now that doesn't mean you have the right to turn in front of someone just behind you already in the right lane as they may intend to go to the next exit before turning right, just be careful, use your signals and pay attention, it's not that tough.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:46 AM

Fumar, Please be a little flexible and think through it. You are definitely wrong in your thinking on this issue. Go to the earlier post and watch the video. And why not listen to the experts. Guess you probably have made up our mind though.

It is a good discussion topic with alot of responses. Keep it going
Old 01-22-2008, 02:54 AM
Veteran member

I've also driven the roundabouts in the UK and in multiple US cities. The size of TV roundabouts are too small for the maneuvering required with double turn lanes exiting the circles. This is the single most dangerous part of TV roundabouts. A lot of the drivers will stay in the right lane and will eventually hit someone exiting from the inside lane.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:26 PM

I am sure Roundabout size is taken into consideration when the Engineers design them, i cannot imagine any reason why they would place 2 lanes on a roundabout that was not big enough for 2 lanes, as i have said before the 2 lanes are there for a reason!

I agree there are much larger roundabouts across the world but the traffic lanes on TV 2 lane roundabouts i have encountered are more than adequate in size for 2 vehicles side by side and for vehicles to be able to use them in the correct manner, e.g. to be in the correct lane according to the exit you wish to take and yield to traffic that has right of way over you.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:11 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

There is a real easy enhancement they could make to these roundabouts.* I also drive in the UK all the time.* So picture going around the opposite way, sitting on the opposite side of the car, and exiting on the left.* Now how do they make this work easy?* They paint on the road lanes coming in which lane you should be in for the exit you plan to take.* And then continue that around the circle. So if you were traveling North on Buena Vista and approaching the circle at Odell and Bailey Trail, the first exit would be Odell and that would be painted on the right inbound lane.* If you wanted to continue on Buena Vista or go toward the left (Bailey Trail) those would be painted on the left hand approach lane.* Once past Odell, the painted Buena Vista moves to the right lane and the painted Bailey Trail stays in the left.* When you pass the continuation of North bound Buena Vista, the painted name of Bailey Trail moves to the right lane as that is the next exit.* It is really easy and it really works in almost all right hand drive countries.* Australia does it the same way.* Now in Malaysia the lines on the road are only there as a suggestion, so roundabouts become very dangerous.*

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.