scavengers

Closed Thread
Old 06-14-2015, 06:37 AM
Sage

When we sold our home 'up north', we were pleased to have the 'street shoppers'... We lived on a country road and things disappeared quickly. I was very happy people found a use for it.

Here is just one (of many) lots. The only time I was aggravated is when they also took the free sign! My fault of course, but I never pondered someone would take that old moldy board

The Villages Florida
Old 06-14-2015, 08:41 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzy View Post
I don't care if somebody take stuff we do not need anymore but I don't like when they bring it back if it's not working - that was happen once with a small TV.
Oh well, the trash people will still take it.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:03 AM
Sage

We have experienced this on numerous occasions. I had put a few 5' tall metal shelving units out to the trash (inexpensive flimsy shelving that came with the pre owned home purchase). A few minutes later a women with a Chrysler convertible stopped and was attempting to put those dirty shelving units in the back seat of her nice car! I asked her to stop, and I delivered them in my truck to her garage. I agree with the others, it is nice if someone else has a need for the stuff, as opposed to it being just buried at the landfill.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:16 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Someone breezes down our street on trash pick up eve with their large pick up and trailer.They pick up anything they can sell for scrap or use. I set out a vacuum cleaner last week. It was gone an hour later. We called it dumpster diving also. If it's off my hands I'm good.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:32 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I understand that someone's trash is another's treasure and many people have made a good living searching for that treasure. However, it did baffle me as I watched a woman in a golf cart inspect two large plants, one a palm, that we left out front. About an hour later she returned in a truck and took both plants
Old 06-14-2015, 02:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrich61 View Post
It happens in our Village every Monday night and we have had a local church group who helps find homes for homeless people knock on our door and ask if they could take the stuff. We found more to give them!!!...if you don't like them going through the garbage then call Habitat for Humanity to pick up or drop off at the local Goodwill store......................there are many in need, be grateful your not one of them......
Excellent post.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:45 PM
Platinum member
Wink Kool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Put a gas grill out there a couple of weeks ago with a sign, broken regular. My husband took the regulator off so no one would try to use the grill without fixing it. It was gone the next day.

We put our very first sailboat of our married life on the curb in Pittsburgh. It was $80, foam-type fiberglass, and had a green and white sail with the Kool cigarettes logo on it. I had spilled wood stain on it and ate a hole through the styrofoam. A couple of kids knocked on the door and asked for it.

I'm okay with that kind of stuff.
I had one of those Kool sailboats back in the early 1970s. It came with a little booklet on how to sail. I actually taught myself to sail with that boat and booklet. Stepped up over the years until I was finally sailing a 32' sailboat on Tampa Bay.

Great memories.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
I had one of those Kool sailboats back in the early 1970s. It came with a little booklet on how to sail. I actually taught myself to sail with that boat and booklet. Stepped up over the years until I was finally sailing a 32' sailboat on Tampa Bay.

Great memories.

My last sail in that Kool sailboat (small world, Carl), I was very pregnant with our first son, born in 1973. Yes, good memories. We ended up with a 38' Canadian boat on Lake Michigan. Fun, wasn't it?!
Old 06-15-2015, 09:04 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimandMe View Post
Once a year we used to clean out our homes completely and everyone put things they couldn't use anymore (not garbage), at the end of their driveway. All the neighbors citywide would go curb cruising and pick up what they liked, no charge of course. You would see furniture, appliances, clothing on hanging racks and small items. It benefitted everyone including those less fortunate. When we came here I thought people must regularly be used to this because anything good on recycle day disAppeared quickly.

I like that someone gets use out of an item rather than trashing it and as long as curb cruisers don't get more aggressive and come up the driveway, I'm okay with this along with putting some items in classified for free.
I applaud your attitude!

Tags
recycle, pick, stuff, recycling, happening, people, neighborhood, things, driving, care, driveway, find, items, place, coming, scavengers, picking, purposes, truck

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.