Summer months - any tips for survival?

Closed Thread
Old 09-20-2020, 01:48 PM
Default Summer months - any tips for survival?

I'm interested in hearing of peoples experiences in living in TV year round vs returning home wherever that may be in the summer months.

Do you continue with all your usual activities in the summer, or do you tend to remain inside where there is A/C? And how did things change once you made that commitment to live year round in TV.

Thanks for all replies.
Old 09-20-2020, 02:04 PM
Veteran member

I'm from the South originally so I am accustomed to heat and humidity. June, July, August, Sept can be a real problem for those who cannot take the heat but you just switch your activities to early morning or later in the day. It is hot and it is humid. I kind of like it. Besides, TV is a different place in the Summer when the two tag cars are gone.
Old 09-20-2020, 02:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,022 Times in 5,323 Posts

Beats me this is our first summer and not the typical one with the virus.

Certain activities are for the morning but the pools are a nice thing to do in the afternoon
Old 09-20-2020, 03:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

We still have family home, and the lake house, family home will go next summer, keeping the lake house. Few years back stayed June and July, you went out early morning and late at night.
Old 09-20-2020, 03:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Summer Heat

We put in a pool after living here for 2 Summers. Best decision we ever made. Especially in the warm nights hanging by the pool is wonderful.
Old 09-20-2020, 03:20 PM

Pre-pandemic, I continued in the summer with all my usual activities, which are mostly indoor. I love to spend time on my screened lanai, so I wear sleeveless shirts and use ceiling and table fans. I limit my gardening to morning and early evenings. My husband continues golfing with his league in the afternoons.
Nice to have less traffic and no waits at restaurants.
Old 09-20-2020, 03:26 PM
Veteran member

Normally, I would continue to golf, swim and bicycle (my main outdoor activities) but simply do so fairly early in the morning. So many people stayed here this summer and continued to golf that my friends and I ended up having to golf late in the morning or in the early afternoon. That didn't stop us from playing but we did make a point of drinking a lot more water and wiping our faces off periodically with damp cloths kept with ice in our coolers. We sweat like pigs, of course, but a round of golf is still better than being bored at home!

Indoor activities like watching TV and movies, reading, listening to music, etc., continued unabated by the outside temps. The only thing different was the lack of social club meetings (many of whom take the summers off even in non-Covid-19 times), the lack of music at the squares and the lack of films at the theaters.
Old 09-20-2020, 04:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Summer, that's why God invented air conditioners!
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:02 PM
Location: Native to West Palm Beach, FL I am renting current home, yet to decide if TV will be next move.

For those of us who “chose” to live in FL all year round we enjoy the summer to it fullest, the heat does not bother us, we welcome it.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,022 Times in 5,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
So true where would we be without it.

Probably elsewhere
Old 09-20-2020, 06:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Absolutely

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Our lanai is air conditioned. My 2nd favorite place next to the birdcage with the pool.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:29 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarra View Post
I'm interested in hearing of peoples experiences in living in TV year round vs returning home wherever that may be in the summer months.

Do you continue with all your usual activities in the summer, or do you tend to remain inside where there is A/C? And how did things change once you made that commitment to live year round in TV.

Thanks for all replies.
Usual activities. Just hydrate if active then hit the pool. Remember you don’t shovel humidity!
Old 09-20-2020, 07:13 PM
Veteran member

Drink plenty of Kool-aid and keep saying it isn't that bad 98 degrees and 98 humidity, I will get used to it
Old 09-20-2020, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarra View Post

Thanks for all replies.
Saved literally a TON of $$$ when I turned loose of "northern" home. Taxes on a designer with 2600 here is one THIRD of the "other" home. Since I like hot weather and the motivator for me was year round golf, that aspect was a prime motivator for me, but the financial drain of maintaining two homes just seemed foolish. If I were to do that again, it would be a condo or villa or some combination, definitely NOT two large stand alone homes. If the money flowing out was of no consequence, I would have to say I still would not do it because of the constant worry; the phone rings in Jan., could it be a pipe froze and broke, or a furnace went out ? I'm definitely NOT the "worry wart" type, but having two large single family homes was not for me I found out quickly.... LOL ! Having said all that, I lived in the mid west farm country where the humidity is beyond inhuman. Florida was like living on an island with the constant breezes east to west, west to east, but THIS SUMMER has been like nothing I have ever experienced since we moved here (which was actually before retirement) to Florida. I have never spent so many afternoons inside in the AC as I have this year. So, take stock of your tolerance for worry, what you are willing lay out financially to have the luxury of having a home in two locations. Also, always (as many of our friends have done) stop to compare the actual stats of what it would cost to own one home and simply rent one for a few months in the other locale. We have friends who are the opposite of "snowbirds", their larger main home is here in Florida and they rent a home in Wisconsin every year for 3-4 months while they visit friends, fish...LOL... and take care of grand children during the summers. No one can really tell you what is best for YOU, it depends on your life patterns ! Have other friends who sold the large "up north" home, built a home here, and the bought a very small, one BR condo near the grand kids. The condo's taxes are very low and it has a very low monthly fee, they say that works best for them. Yet know others who rent the same "extended stay" hotel type place every year back in their same Illinois home town. They get a monthly price over the usual weekly price, and it has saved them a great deal over what they paid to maintain their home there. You have to figure your life style, and then make the decision on the best financial arrangement for you. What makes sense for one, will not fit the life or means of another !

Last edited by Ladygolfer93; 09-21-2020 at 01:02 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 09-20-2020, 09:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

We have a pool and AC in Florida, up north we have neither. This summer there were many days that were hotter up north than the Villages. I would prefer Florida. The only bad thing we have experience about summer in the Villages is the daily lightning. Our favorite things to do are swim and golf, both of which are not safe when lightning is always lurking in the clouds.
Closed Thread

Tags
summer, round, months, year, remain

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.