SCREEN DOORS...

Closed Thread
Old 08-24-2007, 04:47 PM
Default SCREEN DOORS...

OK GUYS. HERE WE GO. SCREEN DOORS. DOES ANYONE HAVE THEM? IF SO, WHO DOES THEM? WE HAVE THEM UP HERE AND I WOULD LIKE TO PUT THEM DOWN THERE. ANY REGULATIONS PROHIBITING THIS. LET ME KNOW. THE KAR GUY
Old 08-24-2007, 08:27 PM
Sage
Default Re: SCREEN DOORS...

Kar guy.... I have seen a number of storm doors installed; guess some have screen options too; what is also popular here are retractable screen doors for the front entry. They roll up into one side and latch with a magnet to the other side. I'll probably put one up by October. They create a nice cross breeze when the lanai sliders are open (when it's cooler outside) and retract back so as not to block the appearance of the main entry door.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:41 PM
Eternal Member

I put in a storm door and had no problems.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I really like the retractable screens for the front door, I plan to have one of them installed.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:08 AM

We put in a retractable screen door and just love it.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member

hags, Who installed your retractable?
Old 08-31-2007, 08:00 AM

These retractable doors are available in Home Depot. I have installed them myself. Follow directions very carefully. You will need a hack saw and masonry bits. Remember measure twice and cut once. If I remember the kit is about $110. Bring you door opening size and color requirements to the store. They come in two colors and two sizes.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:29 AM
Sage

Golfnut... if you are handy and needs/budget are basic, then Home Depot product could be the way to go. They had one brand/model in the 110-130 range and another one that came in more colors and sturdier construction that was probably closer to $200 or $350 installed. One of my neighbors had HD installed and is having trouble with the screen fraying.

Another neighbor used "Thumper" (does garage screens and door screens) to do her front door...he quoted me $360 installed....it seemed like a higher quality door (reinforcement on the screen edges to prevent unravelling), came in many colors, and the sliding mechanism seemed smoother. I will probably go with Thumper (he advertises in the paper).

Like most things around here...many choices for many budgets.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:41 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Thanks for the tips v07 and jg.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:44 AM

THANKS FOR THE RESPONSES. WE WILL BE DOING SOMETHING TO THESE DOORS SO PLEASE IF YOU CAN GIVE ME MORE IDEAS. KAR GUY
Old 08-31-2007, 09:00 AM

I am sitting by the phone this very minute waiting for Lowe's to call me about installation of my storm door that I purchased there. Lowe's has a good selection of storm doors with or without screens and they do their own installations. They do not hire fly-by-night installers. Their guys wear Lowe's uniforms. I have purchased their top of the line door (Tradewinds Fullview) with a retractable screen. We expect this winter to get a lovely breeze through the house with the lanai doors open and the storm door in the screen position. The door is not cheap. Costa $284. The installation is $135. I am not handy so I opted for the installation. I'd rather have a professional put it in instead of me screwing up the thing.
Mildenhall England
Gretna La
Greenville, RI
Jacksonville FL
TV
Old 08-31-2007, 11:49 AM
Eternal Member

Just a caution if you try to do it yourself. The storm door I bought at Lowe's did not come with the left/right side opener like I got up in NJ. There are no holes and you have to put them in yourself. I happened to have my Dremel and was able to create the holes for the handle and the lock. WHAT A JOB!! And I almost put the lock hole in the wrong place.

The actual installation was a snap - just boring the holes is a test of one's mettle. Or should I have said metal?

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:24 PM

We also had Lowes install a Tradewinds Fullview with Retractable Screen (that's a Larson brand) and were very pleased with the door and installation. It's great to open the front door to let light in, but it's an insulated door so you're not letting the heat in. Once it cools down we'll pull the screen down, open the lanai and get a nice cross ventilation.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:06 PM
Veteran member

We have retractable screen door on our front door and have one for the garage as well. I love the opportunity for a great breeze we get with the front door and an open sliding glass door to the lanai. Love the garage screen when I am doing laundry or otherwise doing stuff in the garage. Both excellent investments. :bigthumbsup:

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.