seal coating roadways?

Old 09-22-2020, 07:01 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,335 Times in 1,445 Posts
Default seal coating roadways?

A totally unannounced seal and chip contract for all roadways in the village of Fenney started last week. This was a total surprise to everyone as until the signs when up that roadwork was starting no one knew this was scheduled. The heavy oil they used along with stone chips along residential streets has brought black stain onto driveways both bare, painted, and those with pavers. The stains also go into the garages sticking to the concrete and also to those floors that have epoxy coatings. This mess does not scrub off nor does it come off completely with a power washer. The company doing this says it will clean itself after 3 weeks and a couple heavy rains. It doesn't rain in garages and with the porosity of both concrete and pavers I doubt this will be gone in 3 weeks. Has this ever been done in other villages that are less than 4 years old on "all" roadways within the village and if so how did you get your driveways clean. Our street is still sticky after 6 days and it is also all over the cars. What a mess.

Old 09-22-2020, 08:42 AM

Bad move for residential streets. It's a penetrating rejuvinator (pen-seal)
that is more effective on high traffic streets. The fine gravel is to absorb excess material, they will sweep it after a few days. Stains are inevitable.

Old 09-22-2020, 09:17 AM
Location: Native to West Palm Beach, FL I am renting current home, yet to decide if TV will be next move.

A high-powered pressure cleaner (Gas type, 3000 psi) and Zep Heavy-Duty Floor Stripper:

How To Remove Tar or Asphalt Sealer From Concrete & Brick - YouTube

in 2018 the streets in my neighborhood in WPB where re-sealed. I used the process mentioned in the video to clean my pavers and garage floor of the tar stains that developed.

Do not attempt to clean until the re-sealed roads have had sufficient time to dry, usually a month or two after the initial post seal dirt is swept up.

Old 09-22-2020, 11:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Fenney not that old why are the treating the streets? I could see main roads where traffic heavy.

Last edited by Topspinmo; 09-23-2020 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Spell check added funny, that funny

Old 09-22-2020, 01:37 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Funny not that old why are the treating the streets? I could see main roads where traffic heavy.
for the life of me, I simply do not understand the science, or reasoning, behind sealing/coating asphalt streets, parking lots, etc IN CENTRAL FLORIDA. Totally get it 'up north' with the thaw/freeze/crack cycles. WHY in FL? Is it simply asthetic?

Please Mr (Mrs) Science, tell us....

Old 09-22-2020, 02:06 PM
Sage

I think someone has too much tax money, what a waste.

Old 09-22-2020, 03:02 PM
Veteran member

I think it has to do with the sun baking the streets. I took a close look at ours in DeSoto and they are looking bleached.

Old 09-22-2020, 03:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
I think it has to do with the sun baking the streets. I took a close look at ours in DeSoto and they are looking bleached.
You should pray that they're not coming to DeSoto next week. Nothing wrong with bleach looking blacktop, sure beats what we have to look at now. There are villages much older than Fenney that have not had this done to their streets. I'm thinking kickbacks.

Old 09-22-2020, 05:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
You should pray that they're not coming to DeSoto next week. Nothing wrong with bleach looking blacktop, sure beats what we have to look at now. There are villages much older than Fenney that have not had this done to their streets. I'm thinking kickbacks.
Oh, I am right there with you. I won’t even go into Fenney until this is all done and dries up. I dread the day we see those signs sprout up overnight. We might have to leave for a few weeks.

Old 09-23-2020, 05:53 AM

Such surfaces have a very rough texture and make riding a road bike on them rather unpleasant.

Old 09-23-2020, 06:07 AM
Location: atl (marietta) - 1/20 bought on killington loop then covoid hit - looking again

[QUOTE=GreySkies;1836737]A high-powered pressure cleaner (Gas type, 3000 psi) and Zep Heavy-Duty Floor Stripper:

How To Remove Tar or Asphalt Sealer From Concrete & Brick - YouTube

need to be careful when using higher psi pressure washers as its not difficult to remove the paste on the surface thereby exposing the coarse aggregate ingredient of the concrete
at 1 time we repaired asphalt & conc roadways/parking aprons/bdges - can't imagine why rejuvenator would be used on a fairly new road
totally different items - sealcoating to protect the asphalt content oxidation vs crack filling/sealing w/rubberized asphalt sealants to prevent incompressible & water intrusion vs slurryseal coatings vs pavement rejuvenators

Last edited by stadry; 09-23-2020 at 06:12 AM.

Old 09-23-2020, 07:26 AM
Veteran member

They resurfaced Rose Lane yesterday, half is bumpy and uneven while the other half is good, why? First there was no notice and they blocked traffic while doing this cul de sac. WHo do I complain about this?

Old 09-23-2020, 07:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windguy View Post
Such surfaces have a very rough texture and make riding a road bike on them rather unpleasant.
Due to all the oil probably slick when wet?

Old 09-23-2020, 08:39 AM

It wasn't unannounced. They left flyers on everyone's door prior to doing it, there were street signs on the streets as well.

Old 09-23-2020, 08:46 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,142 Times in 301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
They resurfaced Rose Lane yesterday, half is bumpy and uneven while the other half is good, why? First there was no notice and they blocked traffic while doing this cul de sac. WHo do I complain about this?
Not anyone on this site.

Tags
roadways, driveways, pavers, seal, garages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.