In Search Of The Good Life

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2016, 08:23 PM
Platinum member

I think The Villages will have to change with the times. I predict them offering more video gaming clubs and free Wi-Fi (not as a subscriber to Villages.net). I see them expanding into more reality games and technology based competition, rather than bowling and golf. The weather will always remain an attractive feature for those from the cold regions.

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2016, 05:37 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Based on life in America you can be assured that both amenity fees and taxes will only continue upward. Taxes will greatly increase once the build out is completed. Will there be a viable future housing market? Will our kids desire to live here? Will The Villages be able to maintain its pristine state? I pray so. Times they are a changing
Old 11-28-2016, 11:17 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,297 Times in 535 Posts
Default 2040 we gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chipster View Post
Predictions about what our kids are going to want in the future are like predicting the stock market - good luck. My kids are 27 and 30. They are blown away by The Villages, and can see themselves living in a place like this . . . "someday". But the trajectory of changes in their lifestyles, medical advances, technology innovations, etc. is exponential, making us unable to predict what life might be like in The Villages 20-30 years from now. One concern: millennials are not warming up to golf nearly as much as boomers. This opens up many possibilities here, both good and bad. Maybe massive 3D virtual reality zones on some former golf courses in 2040? Thoughts?
By 2040 most of us posting here will have passed. As chilling as that is to think about, it is fact.

The game I love, GOLF, is statistically trending downward. Lots of reasons. Too expensive and too time consuming for Millennials are the two major factors according to the experts. However, many do love the outdoors and given The Villages year around climate that trends well for places like Florida.

Once retireed, Millennials that love outdoor activities may feel differently about golf. The last time I saw some numbers there are still some 60 million Baby Boomers yet to retire. That should keep The Villages and "The Good Life" going for a while. Oh, and I see beginning golfers almost every time I play golf here. Life is good. Fore.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:49 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VILLAGERBB View Post
The lucky ones will inherit their parents home and who knows if they will be interested in this type of community in 20 years.
This whole idea is uninformed. It assumes things that are not true. I have 3 Millenial kids. 2 of them have way more saved than I did at their age. ALL of them love to visit the Villages for the same reason we love it. They all have talked about what a great place it would be to retire. The idea that the next generation won't have the money or won't want to retire is crazy. Also, the CURRENT residents of the villages and those of us getting ready to move there don't have pensions (at least most don't).
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 11-29-2016, 05:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Our oldest was set to buy a vacation home for them in TV. But wife thought it was too crowded.
So they bought on the coast North Carolina at the plantation. One hurricane down his thought now, Maybe I should've thought about it longer at least in TV, Less water damage to deal with.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:12 AM
Email Reported As Spam

We are all guessing depending on what we read or our personal situation.

I read an article in a reputable paper that said 55+ communities with amenities were in demand by people coming of age to retire. However the article also said that a greater portion of those retiring did not want to move because they wanted to stay in their community and with their families. Makes sense.

I also read an article dispelling myths about retirees. It seems many people do not want to retire and based on the article many retirees are finding good paying jobs and have proven to be as productive as their juniors...but we knew that

In my humble opinion in search of a good life requires clear thinking and decisiveness and hence never looking back

I as a person can't help how I feel or think but I can control what I do about it. So positive affirmations go along with prayer
Old 11-29-2016, 07:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

I believe the 'Good Life' is what you make of it during the search...not in finding a destination.

While TV, warts and all, is a great place for a lot of us...it's really a persons mindset that is the determining factor on whether you're 'happy.'
Old 12-06-2016, 04:28 PM

I think that I am teach my kids by example that aging is a positive life stage and not a part of life you dread. I think the next generation will put their own spin on retirement just as we have. Attitude is everything.
Closed Thread

Tags
article, happen, villagers, thought, place

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.