seasonal ants takeover ??

Closed Thread
Old 06-16-2021, 06:54 PM

Sorry to see you go.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:41 AM
Default Tero is the way to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ SoBos View Post
RICH1 Said it in #20.....TERRO......it's a bait, and will attract tons of ants for about a week.....you can see the trail of ants bringing it back to the nest, where they feed the others. They will die off in time, but if you feed them, they will come.....then they will go.
You can get TERRO in any hardware, or Walmart.... it will work.
BTW, the ants get in one way or another. I've tracked them once to a wall/ceiling joint....no visible way to get in but they found a "pin hole" and disappeared !!!
Agree with 20 and 35 that Terro is the way to go. I don't have problems with ants in TV but my old house had a real problem with these little guys, this product always did the job.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:34 AM
Veteran member

It’s not unusual to find a few tiny ants inside when it has been raining for a while. I had two in my bathroom, one in the kitchen and one on my neck! I had been out walking the dog so I suppose that’s how it got there. Gary from Deans was here yesterday for my usual treatment. He said they had ant swarms this week. He also mentioned flying ants that fall wherever they lose their wings. If you have had the extreme number of ants in your home that you described something is definitely not right. As for Deans, I have nothing but good things to say about them. Good luck. I hope your unwanted guests have left.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:44 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Had a bad day last year with what the Dean's guy said was swarmers. When it rains a lot they come out and die pretty quickly. Had a few come out the other day, none moving by the time I saw them.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Maybe the problem is Deans ……
My thought exactly. Dean’s is the problem
Old 06-17-2021, 10:18 AM

Not everyone will agree with this, but....

I use Massey's Pest Control. $45 quarterly payments. I used to see ants. No more. Ever. Or...

If I do see an ant I call and Massey comes and treat for free. They always come that same day.

There are no harsh smells, no problems. They take care of everything for me.

I understand there are cheaper services, but my feeling is I am getting what I pay for. I also understand there are a few negative reviews up about other aspects of Massey - people disagree with some liking them and some complaining - but I do not see negative reviews about the pest service.

I just love not having to worry about ants.
Old 06-17-2021, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea3051 View Post
Hi,
I just moved into a Villa in Mallory a few weeks ago, I am not new to sugar ants in the kitchen which I treat and they leave and die. However, here, I noticed a few last week, Dean's came, gave me some bait traps and said "this is their swarm season, the queens come in thru the vents and can take over the house for two weeks then they are gone and everyone just lives with it" Really???.

Outside treatment done as well but yesterday after some new flooring was installed, last night they came out from the baseboards, ceiling and were up the walls. Needless to say, I abandoned ship and went to a hotel. I had Dean's come back to look at the carnage and its "normal here"...can anyone tell me if this is the norm here in the Villages or just in my section?

How anyone can use a kitchen filled with ants everywhere is beyond me but if this is the norm for TV then sadly, this is Not the place for me ;(
I've had ants a few times over the past 7 years, never happy with them living in our house (along with any other bug). NO, I do not accept that I have to live with them. We have Massey and the BEST Massey person however in the beginning and I still request for a service if I see any bugs/ants/etc! He comes out within 24 hours (more like 12 hrs) and they are GONE! I had the first Massey. person tell me to 'deal with it, you live in Florida'! Obviously got rid of him right away...
Old 06-17-2021, 09:06 PM

We had a tiny ant (sugar ant?) kitchen infestation in May. Went to Lowes, got Enoz Ant Killer. Ants gone in 24 hours. Nothing since.
Old 08-08-2021, 09:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Hi,
I just moved into a Villa in Mallory a few weeks ago, I am not new to sugar ants in the kitchen which I treat and they leave and die. However, here, I noticed a few last week, Dean's came, gave me some bait traps and said "this is their swarm season, the queens come in thru the vents and can take over the house for two weeks then they are gone and everyone just lives with it" Really???.

Outside treatment done as well but yesterday after some new flooring was installed, last night they came out from the baseboards, ceiling and were up the walls. Needless to say, I abandoned ship and went to a hotel. I had Dean's come back to look at the carnage and its "normal here"...can anyone tell me if this is the norm here in the Villages or just in my section?

How anyone can use a kitchen filled with ants everywhere is beyond me but if this is the norm for TV then sadly, this is Not the place for me ;(
When we would return to our closed up home here, when we were snowbirds, we would find teeny tiny iddy biddy ants is the bathrooms. ( never saw them in the kitchen) and we would call Deans and they would do their thing and they would be gone. In another thread you are talking about the Villages being "buggy". It isn't. We have lived in two homes and neighborhoods here and sit out on the front porch almost every day and never get bitten. The seasonal Fire Ants will attempt to mound in the yard and they must be removed and never approached. If you see a sandy ant hill, call for help or learn to use the ant killer Lowes or Home Depot offers. Those little fire ants are bad stingers and they do it in a group.

I think that the teeny tiny indoor ants crawl up from the drain maybe. I see a few when there is tons of rain. The teeny tiny ones don't bite. BEWARE OF FIRE ANTS.

The mosquitoes are watched through a series of traps that indicate when spraying is necessary.
Old 08-08-2021, 10:43 AM
Default Easy and effective

Quote:
Hi,

Hi,
(diatomaceous earth)
I do the same thing in our home is New England as well as TV. I put a little where i see them inside, looks like baby powder. Non toxic. They walk thru it, bring it home with them, and they all die. They dry out really, as they and their friends clean it off it dehydrates them. Outside, if no rain for a couple days, spread where you see the travel paths they are using. They will walk thru it, doesnt alarm them. Super cheap too.
Hope this helps.
Bud
Old 08-08-2021, 11:01 AM
Veteran member

Ahh, the sugar ants. They're all over Florida. They're so tiny it's hard to see them. We had an attack about 2 months ago. Called Dean's. They tracked the buggers to the honey in our cupboard and then followed their path to a window frame in the living room. He sprayed and left little tent traps and told us to remove the traps two weeks after we no longer see any. He also told us to keep the honey or anything with sugar in plastic, sealable bags, which we have done. It work. Jump to the present - they'rrrreeee back. We don't use sugar, but other products have sugar in them, and our honey is sealed, so they were not attacking the honey again. Be careful what you spill on your counter. A drop of dried orange juice on our counter, and they found it. And whatever you do, don't play the song Sugar, Sugar. They also love to dance. ;-)

The Archies - Sugar, Sugar (Original 1969 Music Video) - YouTube
Old 09-26-2021, 11:08 AM
Veteran member

I have had ghost ants which were very easy to get rid of (one treatment) and never came back. I have also had crazy ants which took just a little longer to get rid of but I did get rid of them and they never came back. Those were the only 2 times I had a problem in my 11 years here. If you can find out where they are coming into the house that helps.
Old 09-26-2021, 03:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd2 View Post
I have had ghost ants which were very easy to get rid of (one treatment) and never came back. I have also had crazy ants which took just a little longer to get rid of but I did get rid of them and they never came back. Those were the only 2 times I had a problem in my 11 years here. If you can find out where they are coming into the house that helps.
Glad you were successful, but your story is not helpful. Or is it a secret potion you used?
Old 09-26-2021, 06:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

No ants from 07 until last week. Ours were ghost ants. They can come thru the vents in your bathrooms. Adults have wide end at body, they die within a few days of arrival. But that’s not your bigger problem, the babies come couple weeks after adults die. They are so tiny you can barely see them. Used a fly trap on the bath counter, to catch some for Deans to identify.

Deans came 2 hours after I spotted them. Yes they can be seasonal, rain can bring them in, some come from drains, and even inside walls, depending on how big the swarm was.

Deans Sprayed, and bated, haven’t seen any since Deans came. She did say we caught them very early. However tech said if we didn’t see any by week 2, then retreat was not needed. But even if we see one call back immediately, for another treatment. Have no idea what deans used, but on day 9, and not one ghost ant.
Old 09-27-2021, 07:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Hi,

We have owned a home in Mallory Square since 2013, living here full time since 2016. I have never seen one ant in the kitchen or anywhere else in the house for that matter.

EDIT: I didn't realize this is a thread from June of this year. I had already responded in this thread and wound up saying the same thing again today. LOL.

Last edited by coffeebean; 09-27-2021 at 07:41 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
ants, deans, norm, weeks, kitchen

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.