Seat Savers - The Selfish & Inconsiderate Rule. Courteous People: Stay Home

Closed Thread
Old 03-17-2015, 06:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

The more I think about it, the more I realize that we're fighting a losing battle. As long as the squares are full, what does the entertainment staff care about a piddly little seat saving problem. The squares are full of people who are buying drinks and patronizing the vendors, restaurants and shops around the squares. If you look at it objectively, the squares are a huge success.

We are the people in the old joke who are saying, nobody ever goes there anymore because it's too crowded.

I think for a lot of us who have been hear for a while, it's not worth the effort to go to the squares and see the same old bands and DJs. We don't care about vendor's nights because we've seen the same vendors there every time. The squares are not for us. They are a sales tool. They are for the new people that come here. As long as people are buying houses, renting for the season and vacationing here they will have plenty of people going to the squares. As long as there are thousands of people there every night, it's a huge success and there are no problems.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:49 PM
Location: The woods of the UP of Michigan and the Village of Pinellas

I have company in town and want to go to the squares to enjoy some music and show how great the Villages are. We took our own chairs and settled-in to an area near the dancing. People just decided to stand and have conversations with friends DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF US. We waited for 10 minutes and figured they would say their hello's and move on.
No-o. They were having fun watching the dancers. I wondered if I was invisable? After about 20 minutes of this, I got up, moved my chair directly in front of them. They thought I was a _itch but I didn't care. I came to the square to enjoy myself and I was in an appropriate area. These people were just "clueless" that they were obstructing anyone because they were so self absorbed in what they were enjoying.
People are thoughtless, clueless and sometimes just selfish. I would not hesitate to take a chair that is being saved and the music is going. I have more right to that seat than the person who is not there.

I'd rather regret what I've done, than regret what I've left undone. Lucille Ball
Old 03-17-2015, 06:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

I wonder how the people who attended the St. Patrick's Day parade in New York City handled these major issues......there were two million OF THEM WHO DECIDED TO GO HAVE SOME FUN today!!!!
Old 03-17-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLAKEPANDA View Post
Be sweet and put honey on all their seats!
I'm not sweet so I was actually thinking more like tacks to get the "point" across. Just kidding...
Old 03-17-2015, 07:24 PM
Location: Manhattan, the Bronx, Eastern LI, Village of Woodbury

I don't know about today but I either watched the parade in NYC or marched in it a number of times in the 60s and 70s.

There were no chairs. The viewing stands down near St Patrick's Cathedral were for the honorees and such. No one I ever saw sat down.

If someone wanted a frontline view, one would keep walking uptown and then find a space. It was never an issue. Here, for some reason, it's a major requirement for 'fun.'

Very sad, and very annoying.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:25 PM

Actually you bring up an excellent point Sunnyatlast!! And I could not agree with you more - not only is it selfish obnoxious behavior but for people visiting the villages for the first time gives a terrible first impression - although there are very nice, courteous people there are the same amount of rude people that have a sense of entitlement and act like they are the only ones that should enjoy everything the Villages has to offer. I have encountered this kind of behavior not only in the centers but at the pools as well. I try and shrug it off because misery loves company but some times that is easier said than done.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:33 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryann View Post
It's very sad and events like today's parade just remind everyone of the overgrowth of TV.
It has been said before and will be said again and again - You can always sell your house, make a very nice profit, and move to another community such as StoneCrest or Plantation.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:50 PM

You need to call Janet Tutt at the VCCD things like this are what the VCCD calls" complaint driven" enough complaints and she goes to work.She's the one that will direct the Rec. people to do what should be done.I bet you 25% are outsiders.........
Old 03-17-2015, 07:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

When none of us can come up with any repercussions for breaking a rule...on a public site. A rule, NOT a law. What can all the kings horses and all the kings men DO??? They cannot fine a person, many are not homeowners anyway. They cannot call the cops, they aren't breaking a law. They cannot tell them they have lost privileges to use the public place. They can keep the chairs and dole them out, BUT WHEN? Nasty, selfish people will continue to be selfish and game players.

I can see the events people trying.

Events person. You cannot save seats.
Seat saver. OH.

Events person removes ropes and takes cushions.
Seat saver, mad as hell, retrieves them and reropes and reseats.

Event person hangs signs and paints seats with DO NOT SAVE.
Seat saver. Saves them anyway.

How can we stop this? By going early and sitting on the seats. Who wants to do that?

It is so annoying but we cannot blame someone else for not making it work. There are no repercussions. And I can't think of ANY...can any of you???
Old 03-17-2015, 08:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

In my humble opinion for what its worth
As long as the the developers are profiting from sales at the squares via bar huts and alike they could care less .
Money Money Money its' not about you
Old 03-17-2015, 08:27 PM
Sage

When we had graduation ceremonies we would have a roped area with the best viewing for the handicapped and their spouses or caretakers. There were police for crowd control and emergencies.

I wonder if we could do that.

It seems more fair than first come, first served. Besides, I would not want to be taken advantage by someone more clever in getting a good seat. But I would gladly give my seat, or right to a seat away to someone less fortunate.

Who wouldn't?
Old 03-17-2015, 09:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
...I would gladly give my seat, or right to a seat away to someone less fortunate.

Who wouldn't?
Exactly. Totally different topic than the type of seat-saving that irritates many who post here.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
In my humble opinion for what its worth
As long as the the developers are profiting from sales at the squares via bar huts and alike they could care less .
Money Money Money its' not about you

How can this be solved? With bouncers? It can't. This is an unsolvable problem because it isn't a law and I don't see how it can be made into a law which the police have to uphold.

You can say Money...but it really doesn't apply. It isn't the reason or the solution.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:20 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Sadly, given past history, it is more likely that all chairs would be removed before those in charge would enforce a rule. seems the solution by those in charge is to ignore a problem until too many complain and then come up with most Draconian solution short of losing money. The entertainment will continue since it draws people to the squares, stores and restaurants and is a big part of the lifestyle advertised.

I guess that leaves it to individuals to take it upon themselves to remove ropes, etc. and plop themselves down. Maybe cards could be made citing the rule and leaving it with the offenders' items?

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-18-2015, 03:30 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I will use the term management. Since management takes the path of least resistance,
it seems the only thing to do is cut the ropes that cordon off the saved seats and remove the cushions belonging to the self-enabled minority.

This would have to be done at every event for these privileged few to get the message.
My guess is that a posse would have to be formed because it seems that only a select few seem to have the nerve to do this.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.