Seat Savers - The Selfish & Inconsiderate Rule. Courteous People: Stay Home

Closed Thread
Old 03-18-2015, 10:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
The more I think about it, the more I realize that we're fighting a losing battle. As long as the squares are full, what does the entertainment staff care about a piddly little seat saving problem. The squares are full of people who are buying drinks and patronizing the vendors, restaurants and shops around the squares. If you look at it objectively, the squares are a huge success.

We are the people in the old joke who are saying, nobody ever goes there anymore because it's too crowded.

I think for a lot of us who have been hear for a while, it's not worth the effort to go to the squares and see the same old bands and DJs. We don't care about vendor's nights because we've seen the same vendors there every time. The squares are not for us. They are a sales tool. They are for the new people that come here. As long as people are buying houses, renting for the season and vacationing here they will have plenty of people going to the squares. As long as there are thousands of people there every night, it's a huge success and there are no problems.
You got it! If "management" wanted to end seat saving, they would. They would send a couple of staff through at 4:30 to 4:45 PM to cut down the ropes and take up the cushions. They would only have to do that a few times and word would spread. What would that really cost?
Old 03-18-2015, 11:29 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
You got it! If "management" wanted to end seat saving, they would. They would send a couple of staff through at 4:30 to 4:45 PM to cut down the ropes and take up the cushions. They would only have to do that a few times and word would spread. What would that really cost?
All they have to do is not put the chairs out (for the nightly entertainment IN the square). Hand a chair to people as they walk in, as Brownwood does, starting a half hour or so before 5pm when music starts. Allow no more than 2 chairs given to one person entering.

Better yet, charge $1 for the chair and give a numbered ticket as it's handed to them, and then at 7pm have a drawing for half the pot. Require the winner to be present to win. The other half of the proceeds would be put toward costs of the entertainment. Then after the drawing, a lot of the people would leave, freeing up chairs for the last 2 hours.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:21 PM
Sage

All they have to do is not put the chairs out (for the nightly entertainment IN the square). Hand a chair to people as they walk in, as Brownwood does, starting a half hour or so before 5pm when music starts. Allow no more than 2 chairs given to one person entering.

I admit, even though I live less than a mile from Brownwood, I don't go to the
Square very often. The few times I have gone, the entertainment didn't hold my interest. Your solution that is put into practice at Brownwood is perfect.

I don't understand why this isn't done at the other 2 Squares.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:49 PM
Veteran member

I've said it before and I'll say it again...whoever "Management" and "They" are, there is absolutely no interest in fixing any of these issues, just like confronting people misusing golf carts (allowing young kids to drive or overloading with kids, etc.), and exercise classes in neighborhood pools, or roping off and saving seats at the squares. You're own your own down here. "Management" ("They") don't get involved in problem solving at all - that's why "They" can tout TV as being "America's Friendiest Hometown" in the advertising. For the most part, it is, but when it isn't...
Old 03-18-2015, 05:15 PM

How about just going in and sitting with the group. If it's roped off, just go in and have a seat. If they ask, it's public property. They can't make you leave.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I have seen lots of chairs out at Brownwood well before the music starts. I am not sure exactly what the policy is but it doesn't appear to be applied consistently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post

Better yet, charge $1 for the chair and give a numbered ticket as it's handed to them, and then at 7pm have a drawing for half the pot. Require the winner to be present to win. The other half of the proceeds would be put toward costs of the entertainment. Then after the drawing, a lot of the people would leave, freeing up chairs for the last 2 hours.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I agree. I have stated this before: there is no upside to the The Villages Entertainment for confronting a customer about seats. The only "confrontation" I have ever seen was when they asked people to move seats out of the "aisles" for safety reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesoffh View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again...whoever "Management" and "They" are, there is absolutely no interest in fixing any of these issues, just like confronting people misusing golf carts (allowing young kids to drive or overloading with kids, etc.), and exercise classes in neighborhood pools, or roping off and saving seats at the squares. You're own your own down here. "Management" ("They") don't get involved in problem solving at all - that's why "They" can tout TV as being "America's Friendiest Hometown" in the advertising. For the most part, it is, but when it isn't...
Old 03-18-2015, 05:59 PM
Veteran member
Location: Indiana,the Villages,Port Charlotte fl ,Summerfield fl, The villages again

I think the next time I take my own chairs that I will put them right in front of the "saved" seats.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:57 PM
Location: The woods of the UP of Michigan and the Village of Pinellas
Default More than fair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
That makes you no better than "them".
If a row of seats are "saved" and no one is in them and you come with "your own seat" and sit in it you have every right to place your seat in front of the "empty" saved seats.

I'd rather regret what I've done, than regret what I've left undone. Lucille Ball
Old 03-18-2015, 08:50 PM
Sage

I've gone to Brownwood a number of times. I do like the way seats are just stacked on a cart and you can go pick them up...if any are left. But I haven't yet seen anybody handing out seats.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
The St. Patrick's Day Parade is a once a year gig. Yes, seats are roped off, the square is extremely crowded, etc. That is not going to change. Either go or not. It is only once a year. Lots and lots of Villagers and visitors have a great time at the activities that day.

However, for the other non-event days of the year, there usually is no problem in finding seats at any of the squares.

I went to Spanish Springs a few nights ago to see the very good entertainment of Susie Casta. She put on a great show. People were plentiful but there were lots of chairs to be had by anyone who wanted one. We also went to Lake Sumter Landing last week to see A Slice of Lime (enjoyable Caribbean style music) and the 41 Corvettes of the Corvette Club. Once again, no chairs roped together and plenty to be had.

Go for yourselves to see if there is a problem with roped off areas. Arrive by 4:30 or so, bring a snack, a cooler, and enjoy the evening. We do.
No coolers on the squares,this is announced when there is any event,and at every intermission along with No unsupervised children, perhaps they should add No seat saving
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.