seco surge protector

Closed Thread
Old 06-17-2018, 11:16 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
We also replaced the outlets for our TV and refrigerator with one of these which are supposed to provide good transient surge protection: Hubbell HBL5262ISA Spike Shield Circuit Guard Specification Grade Surge Suppression Duplex Receptacle with Light and Alarm, 125V AC, 60Hz, 15A, 2 Pole, 3 Wire, Ivory: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

They were half the shown price on other sites.
If that is what you want to Do why not save your money and buy this one at a fraction of the cost. 10 year warranty, solid manufacturer, 720 joules rating. Leviton 5280-W 15 Amp, 125 Volt, Decora Plus Duplex Surge Suppressor Receptacle, Straight Blade, Industrial Grade, Self Grounding, White - Surge Protector Outlet - Amazon.com

Last edited by Toymeister; 06-17-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
If that is what you want to Do why not save your money and buy this one at a fraction of the cost. 10 year warranty, solid manufacturer, 720 joules rating. Leviton 5280-W 15 Amp, 125 Volt, Decora Plus Duplex Surge Suppressor Receptacle, Straight Blade, Industrial Grade, Self Grounding, White - Surge Protector Outlet - Amazon.com

As noted I had already bought and installed two of when we moved in here a year and a half ago. Brand new in sealed box for $39 each off eBay. They came highly recommended by a couple people who use them for commercial use so I went with them.
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:59 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

The product Ed recommend only meets the minimum protection required, not the preferred protection recommended see this article for an explanation:
Surge Protector Ratings | HowStuffWorks the one I recommended costs is one half the price and meets and exceeds a higher standard as explained in the article above. The levinton product is superior and costs 18.49 here it is againLeviton 5280-W 15 Amp, 125 Volt, Decora Plus Duplex Surge Suppressor Receptacle, Straight Blade, Industrial Grade, Self Grounding, White - Surge Protector Outlet - Amazon.com. If you want to install one get the superior product. If you have an inferior product and protection is important to you remove the Hubble, discard it and buy the Levinton to get 720 joules protection. The inferior Hubble only has 240 joules, don't buy it!

Last edited by Toymeister; 06-17-2018 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post

I didn't "recommend" anything, I simply stated what I had done and what I had used. My purchase was based on the recommendation of an engineer who designs and builds multi-million dollar network centers and uses these devices. I think they will be sufficient to protect my fridge and TV and if not, that's why I have insurance.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:39 AM
Default The difference between a SECO meter protector and one in the breaker box

Nothing can help you if you get a direct strike from lightening but if it hits in the general area and travels via the underground power lines, there is a benefit and difference between the surge protectors that are mounted at the electrical meter outside your house and those that can be mounted inside your electrical panel in the garage.

The outside SECO ones are manufactured by Meter-Treater in Florida model #575-1SL-A. I've attached the spec sheet in this post. It is classified as a type 1 protector while those that mount in your circuit breaker box are classified as a type 2. I've attached a typical spec for an Eaton BR protector. If you google "difference between Type 1 and Type 2 Surge Protective Devices", you can read about the differences.

The outside meters from Seco can handle a lot more surge current and they direct that current to ground on the outside. The circuit breaker protectors (while ok) don't handle as much current and they allow the surge to enter farther in your panel before attempting to clip it.

In any case, additional outlet protectors should still be placed on important appliances in the house.

While it's up to you on what you want to do, but I'd suggest the outside SECO meter for piece of mind as it adds more protection.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 575Series_Type 1 Surge_SpecSheet_0511.pdf (188.5 KB, 225 views)
File Type: pdf Eaton BR Surge Breaker.pdf (398.3 KB, 162 views)
Old 06-19-2018, 11:28 AM
Sage

Here’s an interesting article I found about whole home surge protectors. Most interesting after all the technical stuff was down near the end when he talked about the WORTHLESS $50,000-$infinity$ “if your equipment gets damaged” warranties they give which is pretty obvious anyway.

What's the "Best" Whole-House Surge Protection?
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:20 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

///////

Last edited by Jayhawk; 07-17-2018 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:57 AM
Gold member

My brother is an electrician and installed a surge protector in our home in LI and in TV. Within a 1 month there was a lightning strike outside of our Li home. We were fine but our neighbor had to replace refrigerator, computer and other electrical appliances. Then we came back to TV and had another lightning strike. . Once again there was no damage to electrical appliances. I think that this speaks for itself.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:20 PM

For clarification there is one action you can take if your concern is a direct lightning strike to your home. It is a lightning protection system.* They have been protecting against direct lightning strikes for over 200 years.* You will note that all Villages pumping stations are protected as is nearly every building at Sumter Landing, the main fire station on Morse Blvd, most large churches, and some homes.* It all depends on your threshold of risk.* If a direct strike is a concern you install them.* If a direct strike is not a concern you do nothing.* If you do decide to install a system only deal with installers who specialize in lightning protection systems that are listed by UL and their installers qualify for Master Installer by the Lightning Protection Institute.
Closed Thread

Tags
surge, protector, seco, lost, appliance

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.