Second Villages Woodshop?

Closed Thread
Old 03-12-2018, 10:24 PM
Default Second Villages Woodshop?

I read somewhere there are plans to add a second Villages Woodworking Shop near Fenney or the southern end. Are there any current Villages Woodworking Club members who can provide me with any info on this?
I am an avid woodworker and look forward to being involved in the club when we move to The Villages in a few years.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

They're going to have to add another wood shop and another everything else down near Fenny. If you live in Fenny, you might as well be in another development.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:42 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
They're going to have to add another wood shop and another everything else down near Fenny. If you live in Fenny, you might as well be in another development.
I have to agree with that. I live in Dunedin (what used to be the south end of The Villages) and find myself not taking up things (like being in plays, trying archery, bowling etc.) that are up in the north end as it seems like too much of a drive to do regularly. I can't imagine what folks down in Fenney and the other new neighborhoods would feel like about driving from all the way down there to all the way up there. And when golf cart access does become available to them, that will be a 90-120 minute drive each way (based on the fact that it takes me nearly an hour in my golf cart to go clear up "over the bridge" to meetings for the Village Birders).

But my agreement doesn't mean that the Morse family will agree and sink in the big bucks to start duplicating wood shops, theaters, bowling alleys, etc. though I have read that they are putting in an archery range in the new area. Plus they tend to keep many of their plans very secretive until they are nearly finished, so don't count on anything until you see it published in their newspaper.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelota View Post
I am an avid woodworker and look forward to being involved in the club when we move to The Villages in a few years.
By the way, I've toured the woodworking facilities with some friends and even though I'm not a woodworker, I was impressed with both the facilities and the work they do there, such as toys for local kids, toys for the military to give away, walking canes for vets and cremains containers for vets. Great work by a great bunch of woodworkers. My buddy said afterward that he wishes he could move here and live in the wood shop. If he didn't have grandkids in North Carolina, he and his wife would be here in a hot minute.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:03 AM

I am not in the villages (yet) but looking. I am an avid woodworker, but particularly I am a woodturner. I have been doing it for more than 25 years and have taught classes and given symposiums and demonstrations. I am hoping to continue to do this. It would be great to have a variety of places. Maybe it would be best to have one place specialize in woodturning. There is a TON of things to make for others (pens, bowls, platters, urns, etc.)
Old 03-13-2018, 12:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,348 Times in 2,389 Posts

"way down there to way up here" Really?
Old 03-13-2018, 12:36 PM
Veteran member

The Villages woodshop has 6 or so woodturning stations. There is usually one available, though there is quite a large contingent of very talented turners. Classes in turning range from pens to bowls to art work.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
"way down there to way up here" Really?
I was thinking the same thing. Plus (assuming one has a driver's license) if I really had an interest in something, I would go by car to participate if it took too long to go by cart.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
The Villages woodshop has 6 or so woodturning stations. There is usually one available, though there is quite a large contingent of very talented turners. Classes in turning range from pens to bowls to art work.
This is great to hear! - why is there no club? I don't see any mention of a woodturning club in the club listings...
Old 03-13-2018, 02:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Is that how people felt when they built the bridge over 27/441 to SS. I think that turned out well
Old 03-13-2018, 02:08 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Plus (assuming one has a driver's license) if I really had an interest in something, I would go by car to participate if it took too long to go by cart.
I have not attended activities at Rohan because of the distance. But I have driven by cart to the southern golf courses. I guess it is all priorities!
Old 03-13-2018, 02:13 PM
Default Fenny

Quote:
That’s like living in a different country!!
Old 03-13-2018, 06:42 PM

Is there any more information about what the woodturners are doing besides a monthly meeting notice - "The next Turners Group meeting will be held on Tuesday, March 20, 2018 starting at 7:00 PM in the shop" ?
Old 03-13-2018, 11:53 PM
Default Wood turning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
I am not in the villages (yet) but looking. I am an avid woodworker, but particularly I am a woodturner. I have been doing it for more than 25 years and have taught classes and given symposiums and demonstrations. I am hoping to continue to do this. It would be great to have a variety of places. Maybe it would be best to have one place specialize in woodturning. There is a TON of things to make for others (pens, bowls, platters, urns, etc.)
I would be very interested in a class like this.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:28 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,511 Times in 710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelota View Post
I read somewhere there are plans to add a second Villages Woodworking Shop near Fenney or the southern end. Are there any current Villages Woodworking Club members who can provide me with any info on this?
Sorry, sounds like wishful thinking, nothing about a woodworking shop has been put out in any of the plans or official announcements.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, club, woodworking, woodworker, avid

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.