Security and Gates

Closed Thread
Old 03-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Gold member

I'm a resident of the Villages and I am offended by paulandjean's remark.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:35 PM
Sage

When visiting TV for the first time last year, and I wanted to go to a open house, if a gate was manned, most of the gate staff just waved me in -- very friendly I thought. A couple of the gate staff asked if I was visiting a resident, and I told them I was going to an open house on ______ Street, and then they let me in. On the unmanned gates, I had heard about the pushing the button, which I did, then I was on my way to the open house.

Now that it it looks like I will be renting a patio villa in the Village of Chatham for a week this July, I will have to find out from the owner if using my guest pass will be enought to get me in -- I don't know which gate entrance the rental house is closest to so I don't know if that gate is manned or unmanned. Can't wait for July to arrive!
Old 03-06-2011, 05:01 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Gates

The gates are a charade. It occurred to me that the sales people remained mute concerning whether TV was a gated community which meant that many propspective buyers were left with the impression that it was. I prefer a gated community but it will never happen here.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:04 PM
Gold member

Do not be offended,Just common sense. I feel safer here at 2am then in Wildwood, Clevland, or Detroit for that matter.You do not like my remarks fine. Do not be so sensitive. Just the facts thats all.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeBarb View Post
I must admit, when we first visited TV with our daughter in October of 2003 we had lunch in Spanish Springs and then decided to "drive thru some neighborhoods". When we came to the first gate, we assumed that the whole community was gated and we turned around and went back to Spanish Springs and walked around there. The gate did act as a deterent for us and I bet they do for some people who don't know all you have to do is push a button to open a gate up!!
I moved here Feb 2002 and at that time none of the gates had pushbuttons to enter; one needed a passcard, or enter at a gate where there was a person attending the entry.

I don't recall just when the gates became unmanned with pushbuttons, however I vaguely recall that the county ordinances enforced their roads to not be locked, thus the pushbuttons. County roads in TV are not owned by TV; each county owns and maintains these roads.

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 03-06-2011, 10:10 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
Do not be offended,Just common sense. I feel safer here at 2am then in Wildwood, Clevland, or Detroit for that matter.You do not like my remarks fine. Do not be so sensitive. Just the facts thats all.
What facts are you referring to?
Old 03-06-2011, 10:47 PM
Platinum member

Originally this was a gated community. However the streets, with a few exceptions, are county owned and maintained. therefore the county said they must be accessible to all as they are maintained by taxpayers' money. The county agreed to letting the gates stay as long as there were provisions for general accessibility. The addition of the "little red button" satisfied them.

It would have been foolhardy to do away with the gates. As someone has pointed out, it would have created dangerous crossings for golf carts and golf carts are a big factor here.

Are they a deterrent to criminal activity? Probably not but some might argue otherwise. In fact, some studies have shown little or no difference in crime in gated communities and non gated. Crime generally follows money and gated communities are perceived as wealthy communities.

If they belong to the county how come we maintain the roadsides? Because we want them to be attractive. I believe the county credits The Villages the amount the county would normally spend on roadside maintenance.

I have lived here going on ten years and I don't ever remember The Villages claiming to be a gated community. However, I can understand why some might think otherwise. After all, some gates are manned and most have gatehouses. A prospective buyer might draw the wrong conclusion and be upset after the purchase and finding we are not a real gated community.

I think The Villages is a safe community. Not because of gates but because of the people who live here. We are a pretty decent bunch and we look out for each other.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
Originally this was a gated community. However the streets, with a few exceptions, are county owned and maintained. therefore the county said they must be accessible to all as they are maintained by taxpayers' money. The county agreed to letting the gates stay as long as there were provisions for general accessibility. The addition of the "little red button" satisfied them.

It would have been foolhardy to do away with the gates. As someone has pointed out, it would have created dangerous crossings for golf carts and golf carts are a big factor here.

Are they a deterrent to criminal activity? Probably not but some might argue otherwise. In fact, some studies have shown little or no difference in crime in gated communities and non gated. Crime generally follows money and gated communities are perceived as wealthy communities.

If they belong to the county how come we maintain the roadsides? Because we want them to be attractive. I believe the county credits The Villages the amount the county would normally spend on roadside maintenance.

I have lived here going on ten years and I don't ever remember The Villages claiming to be a gated community. However, I can understand why some might think otherwise. After all, some gates are manned and most have gatehouses. A prospective buyer might draw the wrong conclusion and be upset after the purchase and finding we are not a real gated community.

I think The Villages is a safe community. Not because of gates but because of the people who live here. We are a pretty decent bunch and we look out for each other.
Thanks, downeaster, that's the best explanation I've heard. I've lived here for a year and a half and visited relatives here frequently for a year or two before that and I always wondered how a private entity could obstruct traffic on a public road. I hadn't considered the golf cart crossing factor, but I knew from the start the gates had little to do with security. As I've heard it said, "it's not a gated community - it's a community with gates". I can take care of my own security...
Old 09-09-2011, 04:07 PM

I have "owned" a home here since 2005. I can say that I was lead to believe that it was a gated community from Realtor working for TV. It was only after the purchase did I realize that the roads belong to and are maintained by the County. I would like to see it someday be a gated community.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadawayj View Post
I have "owned" a home here since 2005. I can say that I was lead to believe that it was a gated community from Realtor working for TV. It was only after the purchase did I realize that the roads belong to and are maintained by the County. I would like to see it someday be a gated community.
I do not think we can afford to buy back all the roads from the county, or why would we want to.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:11 PM
Gold member

LITTLE RED BUTTON????????? Why didn't I know that on our lifestyle visit when I had to walk back to our villa to get the pass in a pouring rain???? Darn!!!!
Old 09-09-2011, 05:19 PM
Gold member

I hope I never become so paranoid that I must have a gate into my neighborhood. I have lived in the city of Detroit and many of it's suburbs and have never felt the need to be 'gated'. If someone wants to get into an area, they will find a way, with or without gates. One advantage of the gates in TV is that it forces people to slow down, no whipping around the corner into the sub. Personally I like the gates in the villages, I think they are kind of cool....I just don't ever, ever want to have to depend upon gates or fences or guards for my safety. What would be next? Barbed wire? If that's the case, I might as well be living in a prison. Remember....There is nothing to fear but fear itself.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Crocker View Post
I hope I never become so paranoid that I must have a gate into my neighborhood. I have lived in the city of Detroit and many of it's suburbs and have never felt the need to be 'gated'. If someone wants to get into an area, they will find a way, with or without gates. One advantage of the gates in TV is that it forces people to slow down, no whipping around the corner into the sub. Personally I like the gates in the villages, I think they are kind of cool....I just don't ever, ever want to have to depend upon gates or fences or guards for my safety. What would be next? Barbed wire? If that's the case, I might as well be living in a prison. Remember....There is nothing to fear but fear itself.
I think you are one smart person.

There is a hug waiting for you.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:01 PM
Sage

When we went to TV in July and came on the gate we turned around too... Hubby mentioned to me about the "red button." Sooooo being the rebel I am I urged him to push it! Of curers he wouldn't, so I made him stop the car, I got out and pushed the button when the gate opened he drove through it and I then ran to the car giggling. I felt like Bonnie and Clyde!

Whew.... think anyone saw us????
Old 09-09-2011, 07:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadawayj View Post
We also thought it was a gated community when we purchased in 2007. But I feel that the current system works just fine. I feel perfectly safe and will take a walk at any time of day or night.

I wouldn't want the additional expense on my Amenity Bill of maintaining the roads now owned by the County.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.