Security and Gates

Closed Thread
Old 03-06-2011, 03:49 AM
Angry Security and Gates

We moved here from a gated community in another state and became used to having a guard at the entrance who upon asking the visitor's name either opened the gate/barrier or denied access. The latter when the resident being visited so requested.

Here is The Villages, there are gates galore; it seems every village has one, whether with a guard or without. However, access is really a big joke, since all the "visitor" to an unguarded village has to do is press a button by the gate, thus lifting the barrier.

My question thus is: How can a villager control who comes to "visit"?
Old 03-06-2011, 06:58 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

The short answer to Cateca's question is "Your Front Door!". To really control visitors you either open or do not open the door to them. You have no control over them getting into your village or onto your street though, unless you have a Restraining Order ordering them not to come within "X" number of feet of you. If they violate the RO, call the police.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:46 AM

I must admit, when we first visited TV with our daughter in October of 2003 we had lunch in Spanish Springs and then decided to "drive thru some neighborhoods". When we came to the first gate, we assumed that the whole community was gated and we turned around and went back to Spanish Springs and walked around there. The gate did act as a deterent for us and I bet they do for some people who don't know all you have to do is push a button to open a gate up!!
Old 03-06-2011, 07:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
The short answer to Cateca's question is "Your Front Door!". To really control visitors you either open or do not open the door to them. You have no control over them getting into your village or onto your street though, unless you have a Restraining Order ordering them not to come within "X" number of feet of you. If they violate the RO, call the police.
That is pretty much how it is.

This bothers some people and not others.

I am one that it doesn't bother.

And then the fight begins and there will be conversations about guns and all that stuff.

I am not waiting around for it. I am going to pick all of the dirt outa those litte grooves in my irons just in case it doesn't rain today and we get to play golf. Does anyone know why they put little grooves in irons? You pay a lot of money for them so it must interact with the dimples on the ball somehow.

I had a birdie last week. Maybe the old game is coming back.

Maybe it isn't.

Now back to gates.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I suspect that without the gates we would see many more contacts between cars and carts. If nothing else they slow down the movements around contact points. One of the big draws in TV is the allure of travel in a cart and some efforts to improve safety is appreciated, at least by me. I am just surprised that the counties will allow installation and management of the gates by a local community on public roads.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member

They do serve as a deterent.....but not certain it is the bad guys!

It may be a few years down the road but I think how gates are manned will be an issue once the homeowners take control of their own budget...and realize that it costs over $1.4 million a year (Per the Village Sun) to man and maintain these gates. In the meantime they serve the purpose for the developer to provide a ""guise" of a gated community and a "sense of security" to all visitors and future Villagers.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:18 AM
Veteran member

I suppose when the place was first built there was a gate for security but as it grew the gates were placed as a way to slow people down. The men there are for direction to newcomers and as a "friendly" way to greet us all.

I don't think that in the selling of this place there was anything said about it being a "secured" place. It was never mentioned to us at any stage of our moving here. We all just need to be prudent in our lives as in living anywhere in this world. I do appreciate the "Village Watch" people. We inadvertently have left our garage door open at night and have received a call both times checking on us. If thieves really wanted to get into a place they could w/o much effort in any case I think. Wouldn't matter if we had secure gates or not. I remember reading about a group of teens in CA who made it their goal to get into famous people's places and stealing personal items and had done so for a long period of time w/o being caught. I would think these celeberties would have had "secure" places
Old 03-06-2011, 02:23 PM
Gold member

I feel pretty secure here. I think most people do. If its 2am and you are out walking,would you feel a little better here or lets say in Wildwood.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
I feel pretty secure here. I think most people do. If its 2am and you are out walking,would you feel a little better here or lets say in Wildwood.
What's wrong with Wildwood?
Old 03-06-2011, 03:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cateca View Post
We moved here from a gated community in another state and became used to having a guard at the entrance who upon asking the visitor's name either opened the gate/barrier or denied access. The latter when the resident being visited so requested.

Here is The Villages, there are gates galore; it seems every village has one, whether with a guard or without. However, access is really a big joke, since all the "visitor" to an unguarded village has to do is press a button by the gate, thus lifting the barrier.

My question thus is: How can a villager control who comes to "visit"?
Did you realize this "big joke" before or after you bought here?
Old 03-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Gold member

Wildwood? If you do not know whats wrong with wildwood at 2 am, I think you better sit down and its time for a talk.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:29 PM
Sage

all of Wildwood?
Old 03-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
That is pretty much how it is.

This bothers some people and not others.

I am one that it doesn't bother.

And then the fight begins and there will be conversations about guns and all that stuff.

I am not waiting around for it. I am going to pick all of the dirt outa those litte grooves in my irons just in case it doesn't rain today and we get to play golf. Does anyone know why they put little grooves in irons? You pay a lot of money for them so it must interact with the dimples on the ball somehow.

I had a birdie last week. Maybe the old game is coming back.

Maybe it isn't.

Now back to gates.
It's time to get your meds adjusted, my friend.............

Bill
Old 03-06-2011, 04:08 PM
Gold member
Default Wildwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
all of Wildwood?
I am not sure, What do you think?Maybe you can start out walking 466a to 301 at 2am.I am sure you would be able to tell me.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
I am not sure, What do you think?Maybe you can start out walking 466a to 301 at 2am.I am sure you would be able to tell me.
Just wondering what you meant by your statement. There are probably residents of Wildwood who would be offended by your generalization.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.