Seeking advice from residents in the newer areas of the Villages

Closed Thread
Old 01-06-2023, 11:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,059 Times in 2,743 Posts
Default Seeking advice from residents in the newer areas of the Villages

My wife and I are planning a day trip from our home north of 466 to explore the newer areas south of 44. We want to spend the better part of the day riding our bicycles on the much talked about nature trails/pathways that don’t allow golf cart traffic, stoping someplace for a nice outdoor lunch. My wife loves birding, so we will be carrying our compact binoculars hoping to see some good wildlife during our rides. Since it is a major pain in the butt for me to take the tires off both our bikes, so I can jam them into the back of my wife’s Honda HRV, we are looking for a good central place to park so we can explore the various pathways without having to drive to different locations. Any suggestions on where we can park to access multiple nature pathways, which pathways are good rides, and where we can get a good outdoor lunch would be greatly appreciated. Thanks : )
Old 01-07-2023, 07:02 AM

Head down to the Cattail postal station which is also the parking lot for the Lowlands golf course and Edna's on the green, it is right in the middle of the Hogeye nature trail. You could get a great lunch at Edna's they have a nice outdoor seating area and afternoon live music.
Old 01-07-2023, 07:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealRick View Post
Head down to the Cattail postal station which is also the parking lot for the Lowlands golf course and Edna's on the green, it is right in the middle of the Hogeye nature trail. You could get a great lunch at Edna's they have a nice outdoor seating area and afternoon live music.
Yep.
Old 01-07-2023, 07:16 AM

you could park at Everglades rec center if you wanted to ride to the hogeye path or down to Fenny. Hogeye is only about 2.5 miles long. You would have to ride on the street or a multimodel path to get there. Fenney is the other way and has walking paths at the rec center but I don't think they have a bike path. You could eat at Edna's or at Fenney grille.
Old 01-07-2023, 07:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,778 Times in 1,242 Posts

Quote:
Here's a map.

The Villages - Florida's Friendliest Active Adult 55+ Retirement Community

The Villages - Florida's Friendliest Active Adult 55+ Retirement Community
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	5DCC5F96-99AE-4EBE-8A38-2D4AE1D6CD47.jpg
Views:	6208
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	96387  

Last edited by Altavia; 01-07-2023 at 07:37 AM.
Old 01-07-2023, 07:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

I think it is better to park at Sawgrass.

Then you can ride on the trail past the St. Catherine pool and catch the trail that goes along the wooded area. You can follow it over to Bradford in one direction. In the other direction, you can follow it over to Citrus Grove and Newell and Lake Denham and all the way down to where they are starting to build Dabney.

If you plan to go where the construction is under way, it is better to go on Sunday when there are very few workers.

Edna's and the Hogeye Trail are great for walking, but part of the trail goes along an MMP. Walking is not a problem because we can walk in the grass alongside the MMP, but biking is different. After you finish the 2.5 mile bike ride, where else do you go?

Over near St. Catherine, you can ride for miles and miles with no interference from golf carts.
Old 01-07-2023, 08:15 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,075 Times in 432 Posts

Another option: Park at the Chitty Chatty postal station. Pick up the biking/walking trail off Akin Way that skirts the nature preserve. You can follow that path all the way down to the new areas of Newell and Lake Denham. That trail pretty much rides along the Chitty Chatty Preserve, and passes by 13 large ponds. Lots of wildlife to see. On the way, you can stop at Sawgrass for lunch. This ride is about a 12 mile round trip, and is quite enjoyable.
Old 01-07-2023, 08:41 AM
Default NoMo50 has best suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMo50 View Post
Another option: Park at the Chitty Chatty postal station. Pick up the biking/walking trail off Akin Way that skirts the nature preserve. You can follow that path all the way down to the new areas of Newell and Lake Denham. That trail pretty much rides along the Chitty Chatty Preserve, and passes by 13 large ponds. Lots of wildlife to see. On the way, you can stop at Sawgrass for lunch. This ride is about a 12 mile round trip, and is quite enjoyable.
NoMo50 is best. We live in DeSoto & regularly bike south, north side of turnpike, but encounter lots of golf carts. We're going to try his suggestion next. Thanks, NoMo50!
Old 01-07-2023, 11:57 AM
Veteran member
Default De Luna Trails

Quote:
Depending upon how far you want to bike, from Cattail you can go north and follow the Marsh Bend trail path up into all of the new biking/walking paths in DeLuna
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-01-07 at 11.54.12 AM.jpg
Views:	3086
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	96390  
Old 01-07-2023, 07:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMo50 View Post
Another option: Park at the Chitty Chatty postal station. Pick up the biking/walking trail off Akin Way that skirts the nature preserve. You can follow that path all the way down to the new areas of Newell and Lake Denham.
If you start at Chitty Chatty and ride to Newell, you will have to go along a MMP and deal the golf carts where the MMP winds around a lot.

It would be better to park at the Bradford pool, catch the walking/biking path behind the pool, and ride to Newell and Lake Denham without ever having to deal with a golf cart or automobile.
Old 01-08-2023, 06:16 AM

Def eat at Edna's on the Green...outdoor venue with food trucks. Smashburgers and Appalachian Salad as a side or main are the way to go. Get a brewsky from the hut and you're good...outside eating. Avoid Sawgrass, McGradys, and The Market. Overpriced, noisy, and not worth the time IMHO.
Old 01-08-2023, 07:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,778 Times in 1,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeikenberry View Post
Def eat at Edna's on the Green...outdoor venue with food trucks. Smashburgers and Appalachian Salad as a side or main are the way to go. Get a brewsky from the hut and you're good...outside eating. Avoid Sawgrass, McGradys, and The Market. Overpriced, noisy, and not worth the time IMHO.
Agree on Ednas, excellent management, very special setting and employees.

Sawgrass now that everything is in place is a great addition.

The place is packed at night and they now have entertainment seven nights a week.

Covered outdoor seating with comfortable outdoor furniture seating available.

The Market had good seafood, burgers and pizza. Love the coffee and sweet shops.

McGradys has great atmosphere. Apps at the bar are the best deal.
Old 01-08-2023, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
My wife and I are planning a day trip from our home north of 466 to explore the newer areas south of 44. We want to spend the better part of the day riding our bicycles on the much talked about nature trails/pathways that don’t allow golf cart traffic, stoping someplace for a nice outdoor lunch. My wife loves birding, so we will be carrying our compact binoculars hoping to see some good wildlife during our rides. Since it is a major pain in the butt for me to take the tires off both our bikes, so I can jam them into the back of my wife’s Honda HRV, we are looking for a good central place to park so we can explore the various pathways without having to drive to different locations. Any suggestions on where we can park to access multiple nature pathways, which pathways are good rides, and where we can get a good outdoor lunch would be greatly appreciated. Thanks : )
Take a trolly ride and get a good overview of the total area with a guide aboard!
Old 01-08-2023, 07:50 AM

While exploring the areas of The South Villages, be sure to pay attention to the fact that there are no stores, no plans and no land reserved by the Developer to place any stores and how far you must drive to get to stores. Then contrast that with the North side of the Villages. Also, be sure to use your ears as well as your eyes. The Turn Pike noise is off the chain in South Villages and it varies in intensity based on humidity, temperature, and amount of traffic.
Old 01-08-2023, 08:09 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,075 Times in 432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
If you start at Chitty Chatty and ride to Newell, you will have to go along a MMP and deal the golf carts where the MMP winds around a lot.
True. There are two very short sections where you will ride on the MMP. Less than 1/4 mile in total.
Closed Thread

Tags
good, pathways, lunch, explore, park

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.