Golf, Tennis and Fitness Centers in TV

Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2008, 12:35 AM
Default Golf, Tennis and Fitness Centers in TV

The biggest appeal of TV (for me) is the active lifestyle options. At the same time, I have some questions/concerns.

Golf: I played golf for a couple years and really enjoyed it. However, I eventually felt like I had to work too hard at it to keep up with my better fellow players. I think the executive courses may be the answer. However, it's possible that I won't end up being much of a golfer. Also, it's very unlikely that my wife would even give it a try. My impression is the TV is very golf-oriented. Will we feel left out if we aren't golfers?

Tennis: I see the TV has hard and soft courts. Are there fees to play on the courts? Is it difficult to get a court?

Fitness Centers: It looks like TV doesn't include fitness centers in the normal monthly fee. Is that true? If that's so, what are the monthly fees for health clubs?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ron
Old 01-20-2008, 12:51 AM
Sage
Default Re: Golf, Tennis and Fitness Centers in TV

RonG (fellow Marylander)....here's my 2c worth.

Golf: I didn't play before I got here; took 6 hrs of lessons at Tree Tops and used the summer to "practice" on the exec courses; now play very regularly with strangers as well as family and friends and haven't yet felt intimidated by those playing with me. The exec courses are suitable to all talent levels...seen some good golfers and some not so good golfers. Everyone I've been paired with, without exception so far, has been kind, friendly, and non-judgemental. So, I would encourage you to work on your swing and jump back into the exec courses. Your wife might also be inclined to take lessons. But, to your questions, there are plenty of non-golfers....there are so many other activities that golf is not the only thing here. Dancers, pickleballers, softball, etc.

Tennis: local hardcourts are free but not too much organized activity there. Most organized tennis is on soft courts at Glenview and Lopez. Fee - $10 for a resident/primetime for 2 hrs of doubles; if you play a lot, a tennis priority membership can bring the primetime cost down to $6 for 2 hrs. There are a lot of tennis players, at all levels, here at the Villages.

Fitness Centers: at 3 of the regional rec centers...can pay by the day ($5), month, 6 month, annual; Wellness center is a little more costly but has far more facilities and services. I'm not as familiar with these facilities, so, will leave it to others to better describe costs.

Lived in MD/DC area all my life...the summer here in TV is more tolerable than DC area; nice breeze, clean air, some midday cloud relief; the summer just lasts longer than MD. I have found this to be very liveable year-round.

By the way, GO TERPS...beat those #1 Tar Heels today in NCAA Hoops.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:32 AM
Location: Village of Marsh Bend, The Villages, FL; Oakland, CA; Boston, MA.

A friend who moved to TV in 2006 was not a golfer when she moved there nor did she intend on playing golf. Her interests were Softball, Bocce (Boccie) Ball, working out at the Gym and floating around in the pool. After about 3 months she decided to try golf and signed up for lessons and now plays at least twice a week. These activities do not include other miscellaneous things like dancing, walking, bicycling, etc. I never know what she may tell me she's tried out.

I'm a golfer.... albeit lousy; handicap you ask? Can't count that high lol. :yikes: 1rnfl Haven't played that much lately either, something about cold, white stuff on the ground lol. I'm really fascinated with Pickleball and am looking forward to giving that a try.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:39 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Honestly, I can't imagine ever playing golf. Chasing a ball with "dimples" (aka almost holes) with a stick that has a funny-looking head around a bunch of grass that I'm probably allergic to just doesn't sound like fun. So far, I've not felt left out nor short-changed that I don't play golf.

I forgot to mention I have no depth-perception which means I don't play tennis, either. Last time I tried it, I ended up with a shiner to end all shiners. It took some serious convincing that my boy friend at the time hadn't hit me. So, sorry, no help on that sport, either.

You've already been given info on the fitness centers so I don't have to get my lazy rear in gear and try to find the info on that.

Basically, don't worry about you don't do or don't do well. There are all levels for all activities and you'll have a ball no matter what you choose to do. The hard part may be limiting yourself so you can actually just sit back and relax once in awhile.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-20-2008, 02:30 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to RCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07
RonG (fellow Marylander)....here's my 2c worth.

Golf: I didn't play before I got here; took 6 hrs of lessons at Tree Tops and used the summer to "practice" on the exec courses; now play very regularly with strangers as well as family and friends and haven't yet felt intimidated by those playing with me. The exec courses are suitable to all talent levels...seen some good golfers and some not so good golfers. Everyone I've been paired with, without exception so far, has been kind, friendly, and non-judgemental. So, I would encourage you to work on your swing and jump back into the exec courses. Your wife might also be inclined to take lessons. But, to your questions, there are plenty of non-golfers....there are so many other activities that golf is not the only thing here. Dancers, pickleballers, softball, etc.

Tennis: local hardcourts are free but not too much organized activity there. Most organized tennis is on soft courts at Glenview and Lopez. Fee - $10 for a resident/primetime for 2 hrs of doubles; if you play a lot, a tennis priority membership can bring the primetime cost down to $6 for 2 hrs. There are a lot of tennis players, at all levels, here at the Villages.

Fitness Centers: at 3 of the regional rec centers...can pay by the day ($5), month, 6 month, annual; Wellness center is a little more costly but has far more facilities and services. I'm not as familiar with these facilities, so, will leave it to others to better describe costs.

Lived in MD/DC area all my life...the summer here in TV is more tolerable than DC area; nice breeze, clean air, some midday cloud relief; the summer just lasts longer than MD. I have found this to be very liveable year-round.

By the way, GO TERPS...beat those #1 Tar Heels today in NCAA Hoops.
And you did, congrats TERPS
Old 01-20-2008, 05:30 AM

Fitness centers have fees. They are about what you paid at home or possibly higher. The rates are available at the wellness center at the hospital. Asales rep should take you by there.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:04 PM

I keep hearing the Wellness Center has more than the Fitness Centers, however the Fitness Centers have just what I need. There are three, Mulberry, Laurel Manor and Colony Cottage. As someone said you can pay $5 a day. I first joined for $44.49 a month, but now I join for 3 months at a time for $119.16. Of course tax is added to these costs. I never understood why these facilities are not free like the pools and the courts, however I like going so it is worth the cost.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:21 PM
Platinum member

Ron G:
Sort of like redwitch. Haven't personally the faintest interest in chasing the little white ball ;D

I heard not long ago that nearly 30% of Villagers don't golf, so you won't be a complete or total outcast if you don't! Personally, I don't participate in any of the sports things, and, at least so far, no one has cussed me out or asked me to leave! :joke:

Just enjoy!
Old 01-20-2008, 10:48 PM
Eternal Member

Golf wise - for the most part, we are not championship golfers down here. If you can hit the ball 150 yds and keep it straight (most of the time) then you will fit right it on the executive courses or the championship courses. Most of us are not great golfers - just love to play and enjoy each other's company.

The Tuesday men's day is a great place to get acquainted with other golfers. Eventually you will end up with a few buddies that you will play golf with on a regular basis.

My wife did not start playing until a year ago and she was nervous. We played by ourselves in the summer or with friends. Many times we get paired with two men golfers and they are always supportive and we enjoy their company.

She has also beat me several times which means I am doing some good coaching.

Looking forward to seeing you on the links.

Fitness Centers - I had a back operation and needed to go to a fitness center to strengthen some of my muscles. I went to Mulberry for three months at $44.00 a month. They have all of the Nautilus type machines and walking/running/stairs machines and free weights. I had no problem getting the machines I needed and I liked it.

Hope this helps.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:42 PM

Thanks, all.

About 20 years ago, we lived in an Atlanta suburb. Neighborhood tennis was very popular and, as a result, social gatherings were often centered around tennis talk. Folks would even get together to watch big televised tennis matches.

My wife and I both played tennis, so we happily joined in the tennis talk and activities.

I've known golfers. Many of them live and breathe golf. My concern, in a golfing community, is that we will be surrounded by golfers, golf activities, golf conversations, etc. I may well start back at it, because I really enjoyed it when I did play. I'm skeptical that my wife would, though.

That's my concern.

Thanks, again.

Ron
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.