Selling my home; advice

Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2019, 11:57 AM
Default Selling my home; advice

I am considering selling my home (FSBO). I would like to hear from others and their experiences. I know I need photos and maybe should hire a professional photographer for this. I would need to have contract forms ready. Thanks in advance for advice in this matter
Old 02-09-2019, 04:41 PM
Veteran member

Did it ourself about 5 years ago. Got a Villages Estimate then placed our Ranch on the Market a few $1000 more than the estimate with the idea of putting it on with the Villages if it didn't sell, at their estimate. We had about a week window to sell it and held an open house every day for a few hrs with a few signs placed around on the street. Also put a notice in Talkofthevillages, local paper and one other place (can't remember where ). Had a good traffic location and several lookers and a few very interested prospects. Less than a week after the putting on we received an offer very close to the price we were asking and sold it that day. Almost all the lookers were from the open house. The photos we used on Talkfothevillages were taken by me with a 35mm point and shoot camera. Today I think you could use a cell phone camera. We really lucked out because the buyer used their own buyer's agent and we didn't have to do anything except sign papers. It went very smooth and we would clearly try it again. Our daughter just sold her house outside the Villages, but very close, by herself word of mouth without even advertising. Several agents have "for sale by ower packages" with all the necessary paperwork that you can use and will charge about $500 (Check for today's prices but I think it's in the ballpark) to close the deal. I would guess it depends on the house, location, price, finding the right person at the right time and good luck but saving 5 or 6% or even selling it is clearly worth a try.

Good Luck!
Old 02-09-2019, 05:07 PM

Thank you for your great reply. It seems like a little to save $18000 commission of a $300k home. It seems that I need to get some signs and get ready to have open houses.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Your big problem is knowing if the buyer can complete the sale.
You will need some paper work at the time of the offer that states that the deposit is non refundable and settlement has to be made by x date. You probably do not want a contingency that they have to sell current home or get approved for a mortgage. You want to make sure if the deal falls through you can move on to another buyer. They may want to hire a home inspector. If they do you can probably say 1 week to get inspection done and if cost of repairs exceed 5% (or what ever) of the sales price they can cancel. You could also say if exceed 5% sales goes through and you will pay cost of repairs at your option. If the A/C is toward the end of its life keep that in mind. You might shop for a home warranty policy that you would buy and it protects the buyer. Get your pricing now so you know what you can do if you run into a problem. Might help with the old A/C and heater.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,411 Times in 5,104 Posts

My advice would be to hire a realtor. I won't even look at FSBOs because they are almost always overpriced. A good realtor should be able to get 6 percent more than you can. Just my opinion.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:57 PM
Veteran member

Get the listing on FSBO sites. I agree that any bright, clear photos should be fine, and plenty of them. A good number of buyers here pay cash, which is a also a boon for sellers. If you're not in a big hurry there's no harm in trying. It should move quickly if priced fairly and in good condition.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

We bought our CYV FSBO while out of the country. We had both a realtor and a couple of friends looking for us, plus we were searching online. We knew exactly what we wanted and where we wanted, and what position in the neighborhood we preferred (street on the other side of the wall; no roofs to look at, only sky and trees). Our friend in the neighborhood got wind of an upcoming villa in that neighborhood, the exact model and positioning we wanted. She knew the owners (turned out we did too, slightly) and could go in and take pictures. We communicated by Skype and email. My husband was a little hesitant to buy sight unseen, but we wouldn't be back very soon, so we had to act. We trusted our friend and the pictures and the house inspection, and we couldn't be happier. The exact same model is now up for sale down the street from us, also FSBO, at asking price $15K more than we paid for ours two months ago. As we look at sale prices for our model online, we know we got a terrific deal.

Last March our designer sold in half a day for 10% over the asking price, with our trusted TV sales agent. I have wondered if we shouldn't have tried a FSBO. It was the right time of year, with snowbirds looking at having to return home soon, and there was nothing new on the market except for Fenney area with no golf cart access to facilities up here. So that was fortunate for us.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:24 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,327 Posts

Hire a Realtor to sell your home. Same reason you don't repair your car, cart, washing machine, etc.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I used to recommend McLin and Burnsed for closing, but I am not sure they do it anymore. We sold our first home FSBO with their help. Easy peasy.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I used to recommend McLin and Burnsed for closing, but I am not sure they do it anymore. We sold our first home FSBO with their help. Easy peasy.
Our seller used Tri County up on 441, and it was a piece of cake.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:17 AM
Veteran member

FSBO....3 times...simple...put the $20,000.00 in your pocket. Get all of the information and forms from the title company you use. we just used our camera phone pictures. Title company usually has an attorney available if needed. Pre Approval letter for buyer or proof of funds to close etc...maybe a friend or acquaintance of yours can walk you through it...
Old 02-10-2019, 07:28 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donaz1 View Post
I am considering selling my home (FSBO). I would like to hear from others and their experiences. I know I need photos and maybe should hire a professional photographer for this. I would need to have contract forms ready. Thanks in advance for advice in this matter
RESPONSE Hi, well we are also going to move soon. Will get an outside sales firm. they do lower the fees and they are more likely to work with you,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Outside of the villages.
Talked to a good agent at Grizzard Realty, Dan Foster, seems honest and very good. Can also put an ad in the paper with photo etc.
GOOD LUCK
Old 02-11-2019, 08:29 AM
Veteran member
Default Get it on MLS

Fizber.com is a great resource. You can get a six-month listing on MLS for around $500. They will get your listing on several other websites (like Zillow.com, Realtor.com, Facebook, etc.) automatically. We sold our home fairly quickly using that service. We did agree to pay a commission to a buyer's broker.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:53 AM

You and the buyer agree to general terms verbally. Then contact a Title Company and they do the paperwork. Very easy.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member

We're selling our house right now too. I agree, hire a realtor. I wouldn't try & sell it yourself because you'll just have a lot of non buyers walking through your home with no intentions of buying, just my suggestion. But then again we've had our home up for sell since the first of Dec. Right now it seems like people aren't ready to buy until their rental time is about up. Lots of homes to pick from out their so that's why I say hire a realtor. I have my pro & Con's about who to hire or to get a Village realtor or a realtor outside the bubble. Good luck!
Closed Thread

Tags
selling, advice, photographer, professional, forms

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.