Selling my home; advice

Closed Thread
Old 02-11-2019, 09:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donaz1 View Post
Thank you for your great reply. It seems like a little to save $18000 commission of a $300k home. It seems that I need to get some signs and get ready to have open houses.
Selling it yourself might be the best way to put $18,000. in your pocket instead of a realtors. But the problem selling it yourself is you get a lot of snoopers with no intentions of buying & you better be ready to be spending a lot of time at home. I have a realtor & I'm starting to think they aren't screening some of these people very well. We live in the middle of the Villages, so we thought it would sell pretty quick, but with all the homes for sell here it's not going to be easy to sell your home unless it's priced right. Check out all the pro's & cons. We decided to go with a realtor. But then again it's been up for sell for 2 months now. Good luck!
Old 02-11-2019, 01:45 PM
Veteran member
Default Who do you use to spread the word?

Many people come from out of state to buy a home in TV and they like to prepare before they come visit. What service do you use on-line to display your home for sale?
Old 02-11-2019, 04:29 PM

We are planning to offer our 2 bedroom/2 bath courtyard villa for sale by owner in May 2019. We contacted a local title company who provided us with all the necessary paperwork to handle this sale on our own (it will also help that I was a licensed Florida Realtor a few years ago). I plan to have a daily open house and advertise in the FSBO section of daily paper plus list it on Zillow. If a Realtor brings a "qualified" buyer I would agree to a finders fee paid after the closing. I could be wrong, but I think the key to offering your house FSBO is not to handle any monies - let the title company deal with that as that is part of what you are paying them for.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:40 PM

Hi,
I've sold two homes by myself (FSBO). You need to do all the things a real estate agent would do (photos, detailed sell sheet, open house, some local paper ads, etc.) which will take some time and effort and a small amount of money, but that's part of doing it yourself. The first home was easy since the person who purchased it knew me. No commission paid for the sale! Our attorneys took care of all the details. The second home was a bit more difficult since real estate agents don't like to show their clients FSBO homes so they didn't drive any traffic to the open houses (when they did, they bad mouthed the home). The purchaser saw my ad and came to the open house and then insisted that their real estate agent provide a sales offer. I wound up paying a 3% commission to the selling agent and $250 for the FSBO website. Saved about $13,000. A bit of work, a bit of stress, but well worth it.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:50 PM
Default Why not?

Try it. You have nothing to lose, and quite a bit of money to save. I've sold my house without a realtor many times when I lived up north. It's even easier in Florida because you don't need to hire a lawyer. Find a reputable title company, (PM me for my recommendation), then list it on Zillow, (owns Trulia and arguably the most popular real estate site on the web). After 3 or 4 weeks you can step it up by adding a 2 1/2%, (typical), commission to the buyers agent. If you don't have the patience you can pay a few hundred $$$ to get it listed on the MLS with an online FSBO company. If you list it on the MLS you will most likely have to pay a commission to the buyer's agent.

It's easier than you'd think. All you really have to do is answer the phone and show the house. PM me for more details and any questions.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:37 PM

I sent you a private message in reference to this. I hope you received it.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:07 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattishap View Post
I sent you a private message in reference to this. I hope you received it.
PATTISHAP, if you're trying to get in touch with someone call the the Villages head or Talk of the Villages. Someone wanted to get in touch with me & I got an email from the head office, giving me a contact #. No one else saw the contact #. Try that! Good Luck
Old 02-13-2019, 09:29 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

In a hot market like TV I would recommend anyone should try the FSBO route. I have sold five homes FSBO and bought our Villages villa FSBO. I have read all the replies on this thread and I think the positive ones have covered all the bases pretty well. Contact the title company before you begin advertising and they will walk you through the process. Follow the advice of those who recommend you list the home in the event you have an extra $15K or so to spend on convenience. BTW, I'm a former Realtor.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:00 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Homes

Quote:
I am considering selling my home (FSBO). I would like to hear from others and their experiences. I know I need photos and maybe should hire a professional photographer for this. I would need to have contract forms ready. Thanks in advance for advice in this matter

We really recommend Dan Foster with Grizzard Realty.
Be careful, very careful. Good luck.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:59 PM

eweissenbach- Nice honest post. Good job!
Old 02-14-2019, 02:44 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
My advice would be to hire a realtor. I won't even look at FSBOs because they are almost always overpriced. A good realtor should be able to get 6 percent more than you can. Just my opinion.
This makes no sense. You first say that FSBOs are almost always overpriced, then you say a realtor can get 6% more than the overpriced FSBO price? Two totally contradictory statements.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,597 Times in 5,193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
This makes no sense. You first say that FSBOs are almost always overpriced, then you say a realtor can get 6% more than the overpriced FSBO price? Two totally contradictory statements.
I don't see a contradiction. If you price a fsbo too high, you probably won't get your price, but you will waste a lot of people's time. I believe that a good realtor can usually get a higher price than the owner can. It is called marketing and sales. I looked at a lot of fsbos before I decided that most people have an unrealistic view of the actual value for their house, and some tend to be greedy. They also seem to think that the buyer should share the commission that they think they are saving. When, in fact, the sales commission is not something the buyer pays. It is always a charge to the seller, and it should be.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:34 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Hi selling

Quote:
I am considering selling my home (FSBO). I would like to hear from others and their experiences. I know I need photos and maybe should hire a professional photographer for this. I would need to have contract forms ready. Thanks in advance for advice in this matter
Response to selling.
We plan to sell in the near future. Will do by owner and yes, photos do help, so it seems. If we go to a realtor, it will be OUTSIDE, like Dan Foster at Grizzard Realty or others. Good luck.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
In a hot market like TV I would recommend anyone should try the FSBO route. I have sold five homes FSBO and bought our Villages villa FSBO. I have read all the replies on this thread and I think the positive ones have covered all the bases pretty well. Contact the title company before you begin advertising and they will walk you through the process. Follow the advice of those who recommend you list the home in the event you have an extra $15K or so to spend on convenience. BTW, I'm a former Realtor.
Well said.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:57 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Well said.
Thank You Grace! BTW - LOVE your new profile picture!

Tags
selling, advice, photographer, professional, forms

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.