Selling in NJ Four Seasons thinking about The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 08-05-2018, 12:48 PM
Sage

Nothing feels better than removing a NJ auto inspection sticker from your windshield and not paying any state income tax. Another plus is not having to worry about small town cops having to meet their ticket quota

Anything you can do in NJ--you can do here honestly we're living for free here compared to the tax and insurance load in NJ
Old 08-05-2018, 02:44 PM
Sage

I am from NY and moved from CT. Several reasons to move here are:
1. No snow.
2. No state taxes.
3. House taxes are significantly less and usually go down a little bit every year. That is not a misprint. I was paying $4400 a year in CT, for a 920 sq ft condo and I pay about $1100 for a patio villa in TV.
4. TV is kept in immaculate condition.

I agree with people that pictures don't do this place justice. One needs to visit to see for themselves. Most people I've talked to, think you are full of stuff, until they visit here. It's a feeling you get being in TV and it's friendly people.

BTW - Did I mention this is no snow here.

You don't have to shovel sunshine.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 08-05-2018, 03:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Watch this. We have Camp Villages for the Grandkids...

///

Last edited by graciegirl; 08-05-2018 at 10:46 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
One nice thing about living in our community is that you can or don’t have to participate in any activity. When people are new residents, they might be extremely busy, doing things they’ve wanted to try, joining groups, clubs, meeting new friends. After a while, the whirlwind socializing and activity level slows and one becomes more selective in just what they wish to do or not do. In addition to clubs, many here volunteer....at the hospital, at schools, etc. Summers can be long and warm, but air conditioning keeps your home and rec. centers, shops, movie theaters...comfortable. We adjust to the enviroment...just as those who live in cooler climes do in winter. There are many homes with landscaping that may suit you...all villages are nice, you just have to decide if you want to be close to a rec center, businesses, doctors’ offices. Actually, individual villages are pretty quiet, day and night...and coming home is relaxing...well, most of the time. New homeowners might decide to change or upgrade a few things and peace might be disturbed for just a bit. The community is large, but feels like a small town in each village. We’ve been here 12 years and even though the community has expanded and expanded, it still feels just as comfortable as it did when we first moved in.
Pooh, your description of life in TV, and in each village, is totally accurate.
We bought in TV in 2007 and have never regretted it.
We are seasonal residents so can't comment on the summers.
We can hardly wait to return each year to our winter home.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:17 PM
Veteran member

Here’s my take and I’ll repeat what one poster already wrote. Rent a place for a month or 2, that’s what my wife and I did. WE had a winter home in Ocala and the 55+ community there was just to quiet for our taste, we sold it and decided to rent a home in the Villages. WE had been to TV in the past many times driving the 20 miles south of Ocala where our home was to have dinner at Lake Sumter Landing. We really didn’t think we’d like TV but we had to give it a try. The first week we rented in the Villages we thought, this place is too busy for our taste...............fast forward 2 weeks later we drank the so called “kook aid,” fell in love with the community. Rather than renting during the winter of 2019 we decided to start looking for a place to buy. My wife could not be with me at the time so I did a 4 day “life style preview”, mainly to look at a number of homes that had interested us. My suggestion come to TV and take the life style tour preview. The Courtyard Villa we liked became available, we purchased and we closed in late June.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:59 PM

Thanks for all the great information. I keep busy with exercising and really do not go out at night after dark. I am usually home by, at the latest 7PM. I might, on a rare occasion, venture out around 8pm for something to eat or etc, but basically do not drive at night.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:02 PM

Yes, I need the double garage wide door. 8 foot door is good, but 7 foot works. Mine is not an SUV, but needs 7 foot clearance at least. I prefer the one big door double garage, as opposed to the two single double garage doors. I see many have a small door for the golf carts. It is good to know they have an outpatient clinic there. DO they do any routine surgeries and stuff there, or is all of that at the main hosp? Here the OP clinics are very limited only to doctors visits. All specialty care is 75 miles away at the main hosp.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:06 PM

So basically the love bugs are an issue in May and April? lol
Old 08-05-2018, 06:09 PM

Thanks for the tips. I am allergic to trees and prefer the open air breezes. I like the heat and often do not run air. However, they say I need to or the humidity gets high in the house. The only reason I would run it at 78. Yes, sometimes it is nice to have to stay cool either middle of the day, or sleeping, but I am the one riding the bike mid day in 90's degrees 20 miles. Although, I know from living in FL before, I need UVA/UVB bike clothing since it is tropical sun and will burn through regular clothes.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:17 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

You mentioned you are allergic to tobacco smoke. I am as well and found that to be a problem in The Villages. People smoked outdoors at restaurants and on CC patios. Very unpleasant.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 08-05-2018, 06:18 PM

I don't need to be in the heat of it all, but I like to be close to the main road, not backed up to eat for sleeping, but close for easy in easy out to the main highways and roads. I need to be near a Publix, Dollar Tree, and Walmart. LOL that's all the stores I go to, the rest is Amazon.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
You mentioned you are allergic to tobacco smoke. I am as well and found that to be a problem in The Villages. People smoked outdoors at restaurants and on CC patios. Very unpleasant.
I don't like smoke either. Rarely is a problem to us who live here 365.

When are you returning to visit us again manabout?
Old 08-05-2018, 06:22 PM

Neighboring Delaware has taxes like that (800 to 1400) but here in Jersey it is 5800 a year or more. Rarely much less. I like immaculate well manicured lawns. I do not do yard work.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:23 PM

Sweet!!! What is this village?
Old 08-05-2018, 06:23 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I don't like smoke either. Rarely is a problem to us who live here 365.

When are you returning to visit us again manabout?
Well, the last time I was there I had to deal with more environmental tobacco smoke in three weeks than I deal with in a year in Newport Beach!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Closed Thread

Tags
people, trees, riding, great, close

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.