Senior hours at retailers

Closed Thread
Old 03-20-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Wife and I are in the 80+ group, but can't be bothered to get involved in the food panic.
We go when we need, and if they do not have what we want, we make do with what there is.
When you have lived through real food shortages, one tends to treat this panic buying with a certain amount of contempt.
Stay well.
Totally agree with both Bills. I envision the folks who suffered through The Great Depression must be shaking their heads at this "scheduled shopping". Selfishness and greed are propelling this thing and I personally find it to be totally ridiculous. Speaking of ridiculous, .... I went to LSL to take a walk two days ago. On my way to the board walk I saw a photo op - the window of the radio station - and stood next to a lady who was sitting with a man, very close to the building. So I said, "Do you mind if I take this picture over your head, it'll take just a minute?" I was about 3 ft. from her and literally would have only been there for 45 seconds. She said, "YES I DO! My husband is immuno-suppressed, he just got out of the hospital!" Really???? Give me a break! Why would he even be out in public at all? Under normal conditions, he should be at home if he is immunocompromised. Cannot believe the entitlement of some people. I moved quickly and found an even better angle to take the picture, then went on my walk, far away from others.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,426 Times in 3,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl08 View Post
Totally agree with both Bills. I envision the folks who suffered through The Great Depression must be shaking their heads at this "scheduled shopping". Selfishness and greed are propelling this thing and I personally find it to be totally ridiculous. Speaking of ridiculous, .... I went to LSL to take a walk two days ago. On my way to the board walk I saw a photo op - the window of the radio station - and stood next to a lady who was sitting with a man, very close to the building. So I said, "Do you mind if I take this picture over your head, it'll take just a minute?" I was about 3 ft. from her and literally would have only been there for 45 seconds. She said, "YES I DO! My husband is immuno-suppressed, he just got out of the hospital!" Really???? Give me a break! Why would he even be out in public at all? Under normal conditions, he should be at home if he is immunocompromised. Cannot believe the entitlement of some people. I moved quickly and found an even better angle to take the picture, then went on my walk, far away from others.
For all you know, they could have been on their way home from the hospital and he just needed to get some fresh air before going into seclusion. This is why the government has asked us to maintain a 6' distance. If you CAN do that, then you should. There was no actual need for you to get so close to these folks, you could've kept your distance and asked them in a louder voice.

In my job, I'm sometimes just within inches of other people, and there's really nothing I can do to avoid it. But when it's possible, I distance myself. Even if that person wasn't immune compromised - there was still no reason to get so close to these strangers, in a mostly-empty town square. Especially if it's just taking a photo. You have a zoom feature on your camera.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:12 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Wife and I are in the 80+ group, but can't be bothered to get involved in the food panic.
We go when we need, and if they do not have what we want, we make do with what there is.
When you have lived through real food shortages, one tends to treat this panic buying with a certain amount of contempt.
Stay well.
One of the " Best " post here related to this subject. Obviously from experience. I can relate to your post, however few here have no idea what you are talking about, and simply don't care.

Thank You for words of wisdom post.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,748 Times in 1,385 Posts

Even more ridiculous?
One hour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-20-2020, 06:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

I am probably very wrong, but it is my impression that the restricted hours for senior shopping has nothing to do with "food shortages" or "Great Depression" reasons, but are simply within the protocols set up explaining seniors are more vulnerable to this virus,and thus having them shop ONE HOUR with no younger folks was safer. I only know what the folks on the podium say, and what read, but seems logical relative to what we are told.

But I am always in error
Old 03-20-2020, 09:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
I am probably very wrong, but it is my impression that the restricted hours for senior shopping has nothing to do with "food shortages" or "Great Depression" reasons, but are simply within the protocols set up explaining seniors are more vulnerable to this virus,and thus having them shop ONE HOUR with no younger folks was safer. I only know what the folks on the podium say, and what read, but seems logical relative to what we are told.

But I am always in error
It's a company-wide policy and not the only company that has enacted it. Stop & Shop up in New England has begun the same protocol.

The general idea is this: in MOST parts of the country, seniors are not the primary customers of stores. Everyone else is. So rather than force seniors to constantly be exposed to everyone else's germs all week long, they've given seniors an hour once or twice a week, where they have the stores to themselves.

What is overlooked - are stores that service primarily seniors in the first place. They are few and far between, and this particular policy isn't going to be of much help to customers at the Villages. But as a company-wide policy, Publix and every other company that's implemented it, are doing a huge service to seniors by providing it.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
"Senior Hours"?????..............that's everyone in TV.
That’s what I was thinking. Most people who live here are seniors. So they want us in groups less than 10 but will cause a great many of us to be in line at the these stores for senior hours. Doesn’t make sense.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:20 AM
Default i d

do you have to show an I D to get in?
Old 03-21-2020, 06:23 AM
Michael Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Stop & Shop
Stop & Shop!!!!! Does that bring back some memories! Be safe wherever you are in New England.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:39 AM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Public T 7:45 this morning

[QUOTE=Wiserbud47;1730384]Publix will have "senior(65+) and special medical needs shopping hour" on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings from 7-8 am, starting March 24.

Winn-Dixie will have "senior and high-risk medical needs hour" Monday-Friday 8-9 am.

Walmart will have "senior(60+) and special medical needs hour" on Tuesday mornings 8-9 am

Last edited by BeauJangles; 03-21-2020 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Charles View Post
Like its not crazy enough! Its like black Friday at the supermarkets. I just want a couple of bananas, strawberries and some sour cream. Next week I may want some more vegetables. I can only keep so much in my fridge, where are the rest of you folks putting all the perishable foods!??!
we couldn't find much perishable food anywhere. a few days ago, the clerk @ Dollar General over on 44 told us they have early senior hours, but not sure about other locations

Last edited by PugMom; 03-21-2020 at 08:02 AM. Reason: add to comment, also pug jumped on keyboard
Old 03-21-2020, 08:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post
One of the " Best " post here related to this subject. Obviously from experience. I can relate to your post, however few here have no idea what you are talking about, and simply don't care.

Thank You for words of wisdom post.
This reminds me of the story my father told about the Spanish Flu of 1918. He and his three siblings lived on combined homesteads in eastern Wyoming. They so feared infection that they wouldn't go to town or even to the one-room post office a few miles away to pick up the mail, for fear it could be contaminated. Since they were self-sufficient, and not dependent on others to supply food, pharmaceuticals, fuel, etc., they were able to practice real social distancing.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

The Concept of this is genuinely a good hearted measure and I'm certain it will work out for some people. Lets see the Reality once it is implemented. I certainly hope it helps people. Fingers Crossed.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Charles View Post
Stop & Shop!!!!! Does that bring back some memories! Be safe wherever you are in New England.
Thanks! I'm in the Villages, our Connecticut house closed (finally) to the new buyer a few weeks ago.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:22 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,199 Times in 461 Posts

Senior hours at a place where almost everyone is a senior? Tough to stop laughing! Duh!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.