Serious Question About Handicap Parking Permit

Closed Thread
Old 07-04-2018, 09:08 PM
Veteran member
Default Serious Question About Handicap Parking Permit

Tonight at Brownwood, card pulled up in front of Scooples into Handicap space. The driver pulled the placard from visor.

I watched as 4 able bodied women got out of car. They were in their early to mid sixties.

It was 8:50 pm and plenty of (other) parking spaces as others were leaving square.

I am sensitive to those who use the system to their advantage as I grew up with my best friend’s brother who was in a wheelchair for most of his life and knew the importance of handicap parking.

I ask this question with sincerity, why would someone use a parking spot designed for those who were handicapped?

I ask this to those who need a handicap spot, but look or appear to be physical fit.

This post is not to call out those that abuse the handicap parking system.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:35 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed2BNTV View Post
Tonight at Brownwood, card pulled up in front of Scooples into Handicap space. The driver pulled the placard from visor.

I watched as 4 able bodied women got out of car. They were in their early to mid sixties.

It was 8:50 pm and plenty of (other) parking spaces as others were leaving square.

I am sensitive to those who use the system to their advantage as I grew up with my best friend’s brother who was in a wheelchair for most of his life and knew the importance of handicap parking.

I ask this question with sincerity, why would someone use a parking spot designed for those who were handicapped?

I ask this to those who need a handicap spot, but look or appear to be physical fit.

The driver appeared to you to be physically fit, but appearances aren’t always what they seem.
And you don’t know what medical condition their doctor filled out on the application for the placard.
I have a friend that has a placard, and a medical condition that warants it, but he doesn’t limp
or walk with great difficulty for short distances, so he might appear physically fit to some.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:38 PM
Platinum member

I agree with you about those who abuse the system. They should be ashamed of themselves and heavily fined if caught. But you mention yourself that just because they "appear" to be physically fit, they may have problems that aren't readily apparent. Just because they aren't walking with a walker or use a wheel chair doesn't mean they are not disabled in some way.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:39 PM
Veteran member

One cannot tell by appearances
Old 07-04-2018, 10:17 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,307 Times in 541 Posts

It’s very easy to get a handicap parking placard for real or just a fake....
Old 07-04-2018, 11:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I am shocked that you would post this. I know that there has to be something to it because you never cry wolf. I’ve been challenged about my handicap status by two different people in The Villages. I asked them both for their badge number. Stopped them in their tracks. How dare they even think about my physical status. None of anyone’s business.

When I am able I leave the handicap spot for someone else. No big deal.

Last edited by Nucky; 07-08-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Character is what one does when no one else is looking! except maybe your God
Old 07-05-2018, 05:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

While I'm sure most of us have 'judged' someone getting out of their car while parked in a handicapped spot...there's also a flip side to that judgement.

Invisible Disabilities

Quote:
Handicap parking permits aren’t just for people in wheelchairs or on crutches.

While there are certainly people who misuse handicap parking permits, it does not mean a person is committing fraud just because they don’t look disabled (whatever that means anyway). There are plenty of reasons someone might qualify for a handicap tag, and they often face harassment for their invisible disability. These might include:

Brain injuries and tumors
Heart and lung conditions
Back injuries
Chronic pain
Seizure disorders
Organ transplants
Hidden prosthetics
Recent surgery
Cancer treatment
Chronic fatigue or fibromyalgia
Short-term memory loss
Old 07-05-2018, 06:00 AM
Location: Village of Hillsborough. (Past) Gilbertsvile, PA and Philadelphia, PA

It amazes me that you would question what a handicapped person is supposed to look like. The placards are given to people who have a disability and meet the requirements as outlined by the DMV and are signed by a physician. My husband has one because has PAD (peripheral artery disease). He cannot walk very far without experiencing pain in his legs. He had quadruple bypass 3 years ago and also had colon cancer 2 years ago. If you saw him you would never know that he went through all of this. He looks great! But just because he looks great does not give you the privilege of passing judgment on people
Old 07-05-2018, 06:31 AM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
While I'm sure most of us have 'judged' someone getting out of their car while parked in a handicapped spot...there's also a flip side to that judgement.

Invisible Disabilities
One more disability...arthritis
Old 07-05-2018, 06:33 AM

I agree that you do not know what the physical abilities are but I go to Brownwood regularly and I know a woman who works in one of the stores who parks in the handicap spot on the square...walks into the store and works a 6 to 8 hour shift on her feet. If you can work a 6 to 8 hour shift you can park in the back of the store as others do and walk a few more feet and give this spot to someone who truly needs it. I know her car as I saw her do it once and I do shop there so I see her. I spoke to a manager about it and she said that this woman was spoken to and she said she has that privilege and she is going to use it. Very selfish and it may be hurting the businesses as someone truly handicap cannot park on the square. Terrible in my opinion.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed2BNTV View Post

I know this poster and know she is kind and non judgmental. I think we all wonder sometimes if someone is scamming the system and it does happen I am sure.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:39 AM
Veteran member

I wasn’t there and would not make a judgement even if I was. What I will say the following, it’s not my quote but I heard it on the radio years back by a local DJ known as Salty Brine:

“Ignorance is a handicap, but that’s no excuse to park in a handicap space.”
Old 07-05-2018, 07:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,591 Times in 5,188 Posts

To me, it is obvious that doctors cannot be trusted to issue handicap permits to those who need it, and to deny it to those who don't. Many doctors tell their patients that walking is good for them, and then issue permits. If you really want a fair handicap parking system, you need to change the way permits are issued. Or, just use the honor system.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Smile Consideration

I have a handicap placard and have difficult walking and have some pretty tough pain. BUT there are others that are not fortunate enough to walk without serious problems. If I am parking and there is only one handicap space I always leave it and walk with the pain as the next person may be worse off. As the saying goes I saw the man with no shoes until I saw the man with no feet. I am not judgemental as I don't know the other persons handicap and leave that to their conscience.
Closed Thread

Tags
parking, handicap, spot, question, system

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.