Serious Question About Handicap Parking Permit

Closed Thread
Old 07-05-2018, 06:13 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Wait a minute.

Are you saying that under Michigan law, you're required to stop, get out...and then let your passenger drive YOUR car to go park?

That doesn't sound right.

Did you mean if you're the passenger in someone else's vehicle...but using your handicap card?
Nope if you have a passenger and park in handicap you can get a ticket, if the passenger is able body and does not have their own placard. I have watched the ticket written, I also have seen the officer just make them move the car.
Happened with my parents who my mom parked in handicap with my father, officer asked her who was the permit for. She smiles and says this is my placard and his is on the dash. He apologized.

Last edited by thelegges; 07-05-2018 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:18 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobh521 View Post
It amazes me that you would question what a handicapped person is supposed to look like. The placards are given to people who have a disability and meet the requirements as outlined by the DMV and are signed by a physician. My husband has one because has PAD (peripheral artery disease). He cannot walk very far without experiencing pain in his legs. He had quadruple bypass 3 years ago and also had colon cancer 2 years ago. If you saw him you would never know that he went through all of this. He looks great! But just because he looks great does not give you the privilege of passing judgment on people
If the person who the placard was issued to is not in the car that car should not be using the handicap spot. The placard is issued to the person with the handicap and not the car.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Nope if you have a passenger and park in handicap you can get a ticket, if the passenger is able body and does not have their own placard. I have watched the ticket written, I also have seen the officer just make them move the car.
Happened with my parents who my mom parked in handicap with my father, officer asked her who was the permit for. She smiles and says this is my placard and his is on the dash. He apologized.
With all due respect...I'm not buying it.

I think you may be confused...on why the ticket was written.

I can see requiring a non-handicapped eligible driver dropping a handicapped person at the front door, but I can't imagine legally requiring someone else...go park your own car.

For that matter, what would stop the handicapped driver dropping off the non-handicapped at the front door...then parking in a handicapped spot?

The other, makes absolutely no sense to me.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:32 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
This is straight from the Michigan DMV site...
“Disabled persons can acquire a disability placard or disability license plates.
These entitle you to special parking privileges in areas designated for disabled persons,
whenever you are the driver or a passenger of the vehicle. “
Old 07-05-2018, 07:43 PM

I believe that means that if the driver, who is not handicapped, has a passenger, that is handicapped, then you are allowed to park in a handicap spot. That is the way it is in California. My husband is older and can't walked very well due to multiple issues (arthritis, heart), so I am allowed to park in a handicap spot when I am transporting him in the car. (I also have a handicap card, but don't need it if he has his)
Old 07-05-2018, 07:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
With all due respect...I'm not buying it.

I think you may be confused...on why the ticket was written.

I can see requiring a non-handicapped eligible driver dropping a handicapped person at the front door, but I can't imagine legally requiring someone else...go park your own car.

For that matter, what would stop the handicapped driver dropping off the non-handicapped at the front door...then parking in a handicapped spot?

The other, makes absolutely no sense to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredster View Post
This is straight from the Michigan DMV site...
“Disabled persons can acquire a disability placard or disability license plates.
These entitle you to special parking privileges in areas designated for disabled persons,
whenever you are the driver or a passenger of the vehicle. “
We also have townships that have 2 to 3 officers total, they will write a ticket to their own mother. Its like that small town in the south, but without the southern accent . If you want to challenge it you get to go to their courthouse next to the coney, and tell them they were wrong. You do not challenge them on the law, while they write a ticket, you just go see the clerk and get a court date.
I am not confused my good friend was given a ticket because he had a passenger was with him, parked in a handicap spot, in a grocery. Sometime you just have to deal with egos in the small towns. It’s up to you to prove them wrong. Just think of how many just pay the ticket and don’t bother fighting it. But then again I am the one who lived there for 50 plus years, my memory is excellent.

Last edited by thelegges; 07-05-2018 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:36 PM

Please tell me what someone with a bad heart looks like? Please tell me what someone with MS looks like. How can you tell by looking at someone? Many years ago I broke my back I wasn’t suppose to be taking stairs I took the elevator one flight and some ass said to me “You can’t walk one flight of stairs.” No sir I’m recovering from a broken back. I’m lucky I can walk at all let alone do stairs. My brother looked health but was very ill and died at 63
Old 07-06-2018, 02:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Some people just suck. They should pay attention to the rules that they could probably follow better themselves instead of using the time to think or question the validity of someone’s handicapped status.

If it that egregious try wasting an officers time on the case because in my opinion see something, say something doesn’t apply here.

I wonder what more really happened because the OP is a high quality poster and had a valid reason for bringing this up. Peace Out!
Old 07-06-2018, 07:44 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I think the current system allows any doctor to issue a handicap permit, with no accountability whatsoever. We spend an enormous amount of money to provide handicap parking spaces in almost every parking lot in the country. It just seems like a flawed system, with too many people abusing the privilage. In downtown Washington, DC, there were construction workers who parked in metered spaces using a handicap sticker because they could park all day without feeding the meter while they work.
Doctors do not issue handicap permits unless they are moonlighting at the DMV.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
Doctors do not issue handicap permits unless they are moonlighting at the DMV.
However they do sign the form that results in getting the handicap permit.
Typically they do not even look at the form or the nurse stamps it for him.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:57 AM
Veteran member

You want to see some real abuse of the system, go to one of the softball complexes and watch as the handicapped spaces are filled with people who get out of their cart/car, grab their gear and go play softball.
Sorry, if you're capable of playing softball, you're capable of walking an extra 50 feet.

Last edited by spring_chicken; 07-06-2018 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
You want to see some real abuse of the system, go to one of the softball complexes and watch as the handicapped spaces are filled with people who get out of their cart/car, grab their gear and go play softball.
Sorry, if you're capable of playing softball, you're capable of walking an extra 50 feet.
Hit the Nail on the head!

Most are gaming the system.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member

A
Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
And guess what. Those that are abusers don't give a d--n what others think.

"Character is what we do when no one is looking"
Old 07-07-2018, 05:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,623 Times in 5,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
However they do sign the form that results in getting the handicap permit.
Typically they do not even look at the form or the nurse stamps it for him.
Also, the form can be prepared and signed by a nurse practitioner or a physician assistant. No doctor required under Florida law.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:06 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Also, the form can be prepared and signed by a nurse practitioner or a physician assistant. No doctor required under Florida law.
This is from the Florida application form, and it spells out just who can sign.

“Certification or License No. (Required) _____________________________ of a Physician, Osteopathic or Podiatric Physician, Chiropractor, Optometrist, Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner under the protocol of a licensed physician or a Physician Assistant licensed under Chapter 458 or 459.”
Closed Thread

Tags
parking, handicap, spot, question, system

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.