Service Company's in TV

Closed Thread
Old 12-07-2021, 06:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,604 Times in 942 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy View Post
When I moved to the villages in 2012 I,was told service people had to check with the person at the gate showing he was called by a resident and that those trying to sell a service or an item are not permitted in. For some reason they are now getting through so if this happens you can actually go to that guard gate and get the phone number to call to complain. Believe this or not, this is still supposed to be the law.
What about the entrances that are not manned?
Old 12-07-2021, 06:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,697 Times in 5,235 Posts

Quote:
When I moved to the villages in 2012 I,was told service people had to check with the person at the gate showing he was called by a resident and that those trying to sell a service or an item are not permitted in. For some reason they are now getting through so if this happens you can actually go to that guard gate and get the phone number to call to complain. Believe this or not, this is still supposed to be the law.
You were misinformed. Anyone can drive into The Villages residential areas by just pushing the red button at the gate.
Old 12-07-2021, 07:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Chappy....there is NO LAW about checking in at a guard house....AND not all entrances HAVE a guard house, BUT they all have cameras

Last edited by bowlingal; 12-07-2021 at 07:31 AM.
Old 12-07-2021, 07:54 AM

I’ve found that Facebook groups are the best place to ask for recommendations.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:02 AM

Quote:
How can they keep someone from driving in when it's a public road?
Old 12-07-2021, 08:43 AM
Default Research and...

Ask your neighbors ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
Ever notice the number of services companies in the villages that are driving around any given day?
Landscaping, plumbers, electricians, roofers, building supply, driveway repair, golfcart repair, heating and cooling vans, furniture trucks, window installers etc. etc.

I know TV has many homes, but wow.

If one needs any of these services and looking for reasonable prices and quality work, which one should you choose??

There are tons of horror stories to read on all the "rip-offs" that take advantage of seniors.
Old 12-07-2021, 09:27 AM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR
Default Free Estimates

Quote:
I did hear now most service Co's. charge for estimates, little free ones left anymore.
With gas prices for those trucks, most little outfits need that guaranteed $$$$.

My son filled up his '20 Toyota Tundra at Sam's and stop @ $80.00 and it wasn't completely full.
Investment Painting Contractors hasn't "Charged" for an estimate in 55yrs. Len
Old 12-07-2021, 01:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

Quote:
I have absolutely no idea what your talking about and I’m on my 6th home here, starting in 2001
Old 12-07-2021, 02:21 PM

Yes I have noticed. They all drive down my street every day.
Old 12-07-2021, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
You were misinformed. Anyone can drive into The Villages residential areas by just pushing the red button at the gate.
the streets are public!
Old 12-08-2021, 12:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Respectfully, I think you are comparing apples and oranges. I would not pay for a painting estimate. You don't even need to be a painter to prepare an estimate. But, if I had a leaking water heater, I would expect to pay a service charge for a licensed plumber to come to my house to diagnose the problem. The difference is that the plumber is qualified to repair the leak, and may do it immediately. But, the painter (or estimator) is providing a competitive quote for future work.
Sorta but more like bosc pears and bartlett pears. Same church different pew. If the licensed plumber "qualified to do the repair" came to my house and wanted to charge me (give me an estimate of) $425 to clean out a drain and another qualified licensed plumber said it was a $200 job I would then have had to pay the $425 guy $80 for his "ripoff estimate" to tell me I needed to snake the main line which is basically what happened. I told him to f-off even though we were in the middle of moving in. He thought he had me by the gonads because we had 2 pods sitting in the driveway. His ability to fix it had no bearing on me having to pay him a fee to tell me what was wrong and rip me off to fix it because I was just moving in. He "estimated" what he was going to charge me and charged me a fee because I chose not to use him to do so. No different from the guy who gave me an estimate of construction work. Just semantics. Either way it was an estimate of what the job would cost and his $80 was a fee I paid because I chose not to use him. Unfortunately for him his $80 estimate charge got disputed. That was a "welcome to The Villages" moment 4 years ago.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 12-08-2021, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Unfortunately for him his $80 estimate charge got disputed. That was a "welcome to The Villages" moment 4 years ago.
If the contractor told you it would be $80 to come and look at the problem and you agreed to it and then later disputed the charge then it's not you that got ripped off.

Different contractors have different pricing models and value propositions. Also, two different professionals can look at the same project and come up with different estimates based on their own risk tolerance.

I recently got 3 estimates for some electrical work. The first one came in at about $5,000, the second at $2,000, and the third for $800 from a semi-retired electrician that lives in the next village over. I went with the third and I'm happy with the work; however, it's clear why he was so much less expensive.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Ever notice the number of services companies in the villages that are driving around any given day?
Landscaping, plumbers, electricians, roofers, building supply, driveway repair, golfcart repair, heating and cooling vans, furniture trucks, window installers etc. etc.

If one needs any of these services and looking for reasonable prices and quality work, which one should you choose??

There are tons of horror stories to read on all the "rip-offs" that take advantage of seniors.
They’re just looking for a fish to reel in. If you hire one, choose wisely!
Old 12-09-2021, 12:39 PM

Quote:

Nextdoor app helps you to choose wisely with lots of reviews and recommendations on the good companies! Just ask tor help on there. Villagers know best and will reply with good and bad experience on there. Talk to your neighbors too!
Old 12-09-2021, 04:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

People living in neighborhoods near TV get mad and say we were a bunch of New England fat cats with more money than brains
overpay on everything.
Then those same service Companys try the same BS in the surrounding neighborhoods, then tell them to leave.

Is this true?
Closed Thread

Tags
repair, services, quality, prices, reasonable

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.