A Service Dog?

Closed Thread
Old 08-06-2017, 12:22 AM
Platinum member
Talking Yapping dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
But they do make noises tantamount to a bark.
No, it is a "yodel," commonly called a "baroo," which has no where near the volume of a bark.

And, on the subject, you will find that many of the larger, self-confident breeds of dogs do not bark when someone is at the door. It is more commonly the little "yapping" dogs that are easily frightened and excited that do the barking.

Perhaps that is the reason that many in The Villages think that "most dogs" bark when someone is at the door...........because The Villages is overrun with little lap dogs.

Old 08-06-2017, 03:19 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
No, it is a "yodel," commonly called a "baroo," which has no where near the volume of a bark.

And, on the subject, you will find that many of the larger, self-confident breeds of dogs do not bark when someone is at the door. It is more commonly the little "yapping" dogs that are easily frightened and excited that do the barking.

Perhaps that is the reason that many in The Villages think that "most dogs" bark when someone is at the door...........because The Villages is overrun with little lap dogs.

I didn't mean that a basenji made anything near the volume of a good size dog.
Yes, it is a strange sound and I was not familiar with the correct term for it.

Thankfully, our two big girls don't fit on anyone's lap (but they try).
In addition, their barks alert us to everything.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:27 AM

I would say that all dogs are service animals - they all love us unconditionally and who doesn't need that?? But they don't need to be in the store or restaurant and they don't need a vest.
Taught physics and chemistry to teenagers for 37 years!! Started out in Rhinebeck,NY and ended up in Havre de Grace, MD-moved to Buttonwood full time and then moved to Labelle, but still go north to do some goose/deer hunting !!!!
Old 08-06-2017, 11:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Were they also sitting in saved seats ?
Old 08-06-2017, 11:51 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
Well, no.

Nobody's Basenji barks when someone comes to the door.

(They never bark.)

One of my aunts and her husband owned a Basenji back in the '60's. It howled relentlessly when left alone in the house loud enough for the neighbors to complain so often that they got rid of it. He was a Baltimore policemen so I know he knew his rights. They replaced it with a Belgian Shepherd which worked out fine.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 08-06-2017, 11:58 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

I still travel often and it seems to me more people are taking "service" dogs with them on airplanes and into restaurants and hotels. In some situations a prescription is required - which can be obtained on the internet - so it is hard to distinguish true service dogs from pets people work the system to keep with them. My primary concern is of course sanitation as I do love dogs. Something needs to be done to tighten up the requirements, and soon!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 08-06-2017, 04:16 PM

I have a trained service dog. He is small only 6 lbs. his job is to help people and kids in the hospital. He wears a service dog I'd and jacket when in service mode. He is trained to be playful or be held and petted for long periods of time. Giving comfort to those that need it. Could I bring him with me everyplace. Yes I could, of course I don't. Out in the sun on that hot floor with a bunch of drunk people at the square, LOL

Also people should not be asking questions about what a service dog is for. Both the dog and owner have privacy laws . All stores know this as does the airlines. To fly with a service dog you must also have a signed paper showing that the service dog has been approved by a doctor.

You can get into a very big legal issue if you start doing what you did. People normally do not tell others what the function of a service dog is. That is why they have a tag and service dog jacket. When you see it. You do not have the right to challenge if the dog is or is not a service dog. There will always be some who take advantage. That is part of life.
The same thing goes for handicap stickers for cars. Stop judging others so much and you will enjoy life a lot more.
You can't tell if a person is handicap just by looking at them.
Old 08-06-2017, 04:22 PM
Sage

It takes all kinds I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2017, 04:36 PM

I think that most of the itsy-bitsy dogs with a service dog jacket are simply owned by selfish people.
If someone is so emotionally unstable that they need constant comfort from a little dog, I hope they have lost their right to drive.
Heaven forbid someone that disturbed should drive a car or a cart.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:38 PM
Gold member

Here are two links to some interesting information on this subject.

Service Animals and Emotional Support Animals | ADA National Network

Service Animals | Disability Rights Florida

Last edited by Fredster; 08-06-2017 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Link added
Old 08-06-2017, 06:46 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
I have a trained service dog. He is small only 6 lbs. his job is to help people and kids in the hospital. He wears a service dog I'd and jacket when in service mode. He is trained to be playful or be held and petted for long periods of time. Giving comfort to those that need it. Could I bring him with me everyplace. Yes I could, of course I don't. Out in the sun on that hot floor with a bunch of drunk people at the square, LOL

Also people should not be asking questions about what a service dog is for. Both the dog and owner have privacy laws . All stores know this as does the airlines. To fly with a service dog you must also have a signed paper showing that the service dog has been approved by a doctor.

You can get into a very big legal issue if you start doing what you did. People normally do not tell others what the function of a service dog is. That is why they have a tag and service dog jacket. When you see it. You do not have the right to challenge if the dog is or is not a service dog. There will always be some who take advantage. That is part of life.
The same thing goes for handicap stickers for cars. Stop judging others so much and you will enjoy life a lot more.
You can't tell if a person is handicap just by looking at them.
No, you DO NOT have a service dog. You have a comfort dog. They do not get the REAL service dog credentials. They are nice to take this hospitals but they ARE NOT service dogs.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:08 PM
Sage

I'm not sure when this happened, I guess I wasn't paying attention. At what point in our society did the distance between man and beast become blurred. I love my dog and I keep a definite boundary between the dog and me, it's master. I do not tolerate my dog on furniture which includes the BED, uggh. Any business that needs to be done is done OUTSIDE. None of that wee wee pad nonsense, REALLY ? Only human pigs allow this. When it comes time to put my dog down, he goes down. I will not spend $15K to extend it's life for another 6 months. At the end, I will dig a hole 6' deep and place my beloved companion wrapped in his favorite blanket and place him at the bottom of his final resting spot. Along with his favorite toys. As I backfill his new home I'll think of all the good times we had together knowing that the distance we kept between us was healthy for BOTH of us, for I'm his master and he the dog.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:06 AM

I highlighted some of the key ones that a small dog can do. IMHO its not a very good person who judges others' disabilities when they don't mind their own disabilities. And everyone has something.

Person with a Disability
Under the ADA, an individual with a disability is a person who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities of such an individual; a record of such an impairment; or be regarded as having such an impairment.
Work and Tasks
According to the § 35.104 and § 36.104 (2010), examples of work and tasks performed by service animals include, but are not limited to:

guiding people who are blind or have low vision
alerting people who are deaf or hard of hearing
providing non-violent protection or rescue work
pulling a wheelchair
assisting an individual during a seizure
alerting individuals to the presence of allergens
retrieving items
providing physical support and assistance with balance and stability to individuals with mobility disabilities
helping persons with psychiatric or neurological disabilities by preventing or interrupting impulsive or destructive behaviors
reminding a person with mental illness to take prescribed medications, or
calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack.

Crime deterrence or provision of comfort or emotional support do not constitute "work or tasks" under the ADA.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
When I see one of those service doggies I don't even look anymore. I have learned it is not any of my business at all. If the dog was being mistreated I would discreetly call the correct person to handle it. We wanted to try our dog, Barney up at the square when we first moved in. Found the best parking spot, better than George Costanza. When I went to get him out of the back seat he said he didn't like the band and asked to go home. I obeyed him.
I agree, not any of my business at all and I don't really care. Walking up to someone with a service dog and asking what service the dog provides is not all that much different than walking up to someone in a wheelchair and asking them why they need to use it. Not my business. I think dogs in TV are used to their retired owners always being around and they get used to the constant companionship and don't like being left alone all day. Also, many people here have lost their spouses and their dogs help to fill the void left in their lives and provide companionship throughout the day and in their travels. They probably come in stores with their dogs because you can't leave them in a hot car. As far as sanitation, I never see problems being caused. On the other hand, I've seen little kids in stores lick stuff, pick their noses and wipe their fingers on merchandise and make ear piercing noises and nobody wants to ban them.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:17 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
I'm not sure when this happened, I guess I wasn't paying attention. At what point in our society did the distance between man and beast become blurred. I love my dog and I keep a definite boundary between the dog and me, it's master. I do not tolerate my dog on furniture which includes the BED, uggh. Any business that needs to be done is done OUTSIDE. None of that wee wee pad nonsense, REALLY ?
Quote:
Only human pigs allow this
. When it comes time to put my dog down, he goes down. I will not spend $15K to extend it's life for another 6 months. At the end, I will dig a hole 6' deep and place my beloved companion wrapped in his favorite blanket and place him at the bottom of his final resting spot. Along with his favorite toys. As I backfill his new home I'll think of all the good times we had together knowing that the distance we kept between us was healthy for BOTH of us, for I'm his master and he the dog.
Not quite sure what to say about that remark.
To each their own. Years ago we had to get a king bed so our dogs and cat had room on the bed with us.

Tags
dog, service, wife, vest, couple

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.