Begin Spot for Rollerblading on Trail

Closed Thread
Old 03-01-2015, 04:01 PM
Sage
Thumbs down Begin Spot for Rollerblading on Trail

I'd like to find a spot where I could park my car or cart and be very close to the trail to begin rollerblading. I don't want to have to lug the skates too far to get to the trail. And I don't want to deal with tunnel ramps and such while on the skates.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-01-2015, 04:42 PM
Platinum member

I can think of many places that would fit your needs. Most parking areas around rec centers would work. Have you tried to obtain a map of The Villages that includes multi modal trails? Customer service would probably be able to help.

Enjoy your rollerblading but be careful. The paths are designated multi modal but a lot of cart drivers seem to think otherwise.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:50 PM
Sage

No tunnels on the Springdale Fitness Trail.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:03 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

The path around Lake Miona Rec Center is a good path. Ditto the path by the playground near Sonny's. The Springdale Fitness Trail is a very good path.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-01-2015, 05:24 PM
Sage

I appreciate the replies. Keep them coming please.

I want to stress that I'm looking for a good STARTING POINT. A place where I could park almost right next to the trail. I just don't want to have to deal with tunnels, street crossings, or long walks to get from my car (or cart) to the trail.

For example, I think redwitch is right. Lake Miona has possibilities. But even then, if I go one direction, I have to go down through the tunnel...the northbound trail is on the east side of Buena Vista. If I head the other direction, I have to cross Bailey to head south. The second alternative isn't that bad...a brief skate on sidewalk, cross Bailey, skate south.

The ideal is if I could park my car (or cart), put on my blades, and take a few steps or skate on even pavement for a short distance and be on the trail. (The Lake Miona/cross Bailey option may not be bad though. Thanks, redwitch.)
Old 03-01-2015, 05:31 PM
Sage

There's actually a walking path behind Lake Miona Rec Center. Much safer than having to cross any street. Both the Springdale and LSL paths have parking less than a half block's walk away at certain points.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-01-2015, 07:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I appreciate the replies. Keep them coming please.

I want to stress that I'm looking for a good STARTING POINT. A place where I could park almost right next to the trail. I just don't want to have to deal with tunnels, street crossings, or long walks to get from my car (or cart) to the trail.

For example, I think redwitch is right. Lake Miona has possibilities. But even then, if I go one direction, I have to go down through the tunnel...the northbound trail is on the east side of Buena Vista. If I head the other direction, I have to cross Bailey to head south. The second alternative isn't that bad...a brief skate on sidewalk, cross Bailey, skate south.

The ideal is if I could park my car (or cart), put on my blades, and take a few steps or skate on even pavement for a short distance and be on the trail. (The Lake Miona/cross Bailey option may not be bad though. Thanks, redwitch.)
park at the spring dale pool the Trail right beside it, goes up to Mulberry about 1 1/2 miles to the north. I don't know how far it goes south from the pool. Mostly straight with coupling small hills. Enjoy the view Lopez Golf course on the way up and back.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:47 PM

I see a couple park at Savannah Center then they roller blade El Camino Real towards the hospital (east I think). No Tunnels and the multi modal path is less than 10 feet from the parking spaces.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:05 PM
Veteran member

aaahhhh yes ..... hot babes blading in bikinis ... oh wait, that is where I use to live .... never mind.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrafty View Post
I see a couple park at Savannah Center then they roller blade El Camino Real towards the hospital (east I think). No Tunnels and the multi modal path is less than 10 feet from the parking spaces.
That's a good one...thanks!

Anybody know any similar spots that are close to Mallory? (Although I will go to Savannah...heheh.)
Old 03-02-2015, 06:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
I'd like to find a spot where I could park my car or cart and be very close to the trail to begin rollerblading. I don't want to have to lug the skates too far to get to the trail. And I don't want to deal with tunnel ramps and such while on the skates.

Any suggestions?
Do you mean that you are a beginner at roller blading or are you saying you want a place to begin roller blading? Or both? Either way, I'd just beg you to be careful. Would you move with the traffic or roller blade against traffic like a safe and cautious walker? I'm just curious.

If I was going to be crazy enough to walk or roller blade on a cart path, I'd go to the path from Chula Vista Recreation Center to Del Mar Avenue. There is traffic but not excessive traffic and it is beautiful.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
Do you mean that you are a beginner at roller blading or are you saying you want a place to begin roller blading? Or both? Either way, I'd just beg you to be careful. Would you move with the traffic or roller blade against traffic like a safe and cautious walker? I'm just curious.

If I was going to be crazy enough to walk or roller blade on a cart path, I'd go to the path from Chula Vista Recreation Center to Del Mar Avenue. There is traffic but not excessive traffic and it is beautiful.
I'm no expert but I'm not a beginner either. I was asking about a location to park a car (or cart) that would be close to the trail for easy access.

And I will be careful. I may still end up just skating the local (low traffic) streets. I haven't yet so I don't know if they are suitable (might be too rough...exposed aggregate, etc.?) And I plan to skate against the traffic. I think I would be much more like a pedestrian than a bike rider.

And like I tell my wife...I'm not crazy...HEH...HEHEH...I'm just a little sick.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
I'm no expert but I'm not a beginner either. I was asking about a location to park a car (or cart) that would be close to the trail for easy access.

And I will be careful. I may still end up just skating the local (low traffic) streets. I haven't yet so I don't know if they are suitable (might be too rough...exposed aggregate, etc.?) And I plan to skate against the traffic. I think I would be much more like a pedestrian than a bike rider.

And like I tell my wife...I'm not crazy...HEH...HEHEH...I'm just a little sick.
Well, be safe and have fun. I think I'd go against the traffic too and I'd be ready to jump off the path at any given moment out of harm's way. The path along Chula Vista to Del Mar is the way to go IMHO.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:27 PM
Sage

You could probably do the exercise path by Paradise Park. There may be too many dog walkers there, though, to make it enjoyable. Also, the golf cart path and streets on the historic side might fit the bill perfectly.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.