Service dogs and rentals

Closed Thread
Old 02-28-2015, 05:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by missypie View Post
So lets say I have a house to rent. I rent it out using lets say The Villages rental folks. I have a stipulation that there are to be no pets or smoking. The renters move in and then I find out that they have a dog living in the home. I am told the dog has to stay because it is a Service Animal and not a pet. I guess so it goes??
Did you have a rental agreement that stipulated No Dogs
that was signed by the renters
Apparently they did not disclosed that they had a pet ADA or otherwise
Old 02-28-2015, 06:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanatic Luvr View Post
I do believe in Florida under the Fair Housing and the Americans with Disabilities Act, you are required to permit tenants with Service or Companion Dogs. You can however, if I am not mistaken, ask for a doctors letter stating the dog is needed. You don't want a lawsuit on your hands, it's just not worth it.

You can also request to see the documentation provided by the verifying agency...which should provide a picture of the dog, the owner, and the type of certification.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:25 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Did you have a rental agreement that stipulated No Dogs
that was signed by the renters
Apparently they did not disclosed that they had a pet ADA or otherwise
Renter said we have no pets. Our service dog is necessary and is not considered a pet.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

Let's be clear here for people who don't read the links.
A service animal is not classified as a pet, period. Therefore it is illegal to refuse to rent to a person with a service or comfort animal (rare exceptions) Allergies in the home owner or future renters does not change the law. The disabled person's need for a service animal takes legal priority over your allergies. You may NOT charge a pet cleaning fee and the animal is not a pet. If there are actual damages, those are recoverable just as they would be if they were created by a human.

The law is linked above. Perhaps the reason a prospective renter may not disclose their service animal is that it would result in not getting the unit with some other reason given when it really was the issue of an animal.

https://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/doc...heo2013-01.pdf
Old 02-28-2015, 08:25 PM
Platinum member

Sometimes the laws really suck!! Whatever happened to just caring about fellow humans?
Old 02-28-2015, 08:29 PM
Sage

I care about my fellow humans and their animals. I do not care about those who play upon my emotions without true cause.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
I care about my fellow humans and their animals. I do not care about those who play upon my emotions without true cause.

I so very much agree.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:12 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryann View Post
Sometimes the laws really suck!! Whatever happened to just caring about fellow humans?
There's more and more disdain for and demonization of people who own property, and it's destroying this society. They act entitled to other people's property to use/abuse it as they please.

Ownership of property goes all the way back to the ten commandments, when people were commanded to not steal or covet others' property. But more and more people place themselves above such wisdom of Judeo-Christian belief and values.

One day they'll face their Creator and account for their lying, disrespect, and defiance. Till then all we can do is not vote for lawmakers who resent private property ownership and who write laws with loopholes that encourage and empower liars.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:37 PM
Gold member

Here's an information page that mentions single-family rentals without broker:

NSAR Service Dog Certification - Certified Emotional Support Animals Are Entitled to Special Housing Rights
Old 03-01-2015, 10:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
There's more and more disdain for and demonization of people who own property, and it's destroying this society. They act entitled to other people's property to use/abuse it as they please.

Ownership of property goes all the way back to the ten commandments, when people were commanded to not steal or covet others' property. But more and more people place themselves above such wisdom of Judeo-Christian belief and values.

One day they'll face their Creator and account for their lying, disrespect, and defiance. Till then all we can do is not vote for lawmakers who resent private property ownership and who write laws with loopholes that encourage and empower liars.
You think the accommodation of disabled people by property owners will certainly lead to the downfall of civilization? If you read the link you provided, it clearly states that the service/comfort animal must be a non-threat to others and that any damages it causes are the responsibility of the animal owner to repair. So other than making life a little better for a person with a disability, I am not seeing your objection that this accommodation should result in divine retribution from a loving God. Are you suggesting that a disabled person who uses the law to get relief from a no-pet policy deserves to go to Hell?
Old 03-01-2015, 11:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
You think the accommodation of disabled people by property owners will certainly lead to the downfall of civilization? If you read the link you provided, it clearly states that the service/comfort animal must be a non-threat to others and that any damages it causes are the responsibility of the animal owner to repair. So other than making life a little better for a person with a disability, I am not seeing your objection that this accommodation should result in divine retribution from a loving God. Are you suggesting that a disabled person who uses the law to get relief from a no-pet policy deserves to go to Hell?

I doubt that very much. And most disabled people do not want to be pitied or would ever take advantage of anyone for anything. It is challenging enough to have something that isn't working right and usually people who are disabled are very sensitive and caring. But people can and do take advantage of laws made to help others. Sadly that happens. We ALL need to be respected.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by missypie View Post
Renter said we have no pets. Our service dog is necessary and is not considered a pet.
These renters were by no means upfront but underhanded
Did not disclose the situation

Why call a Lawyer

Call the Villages Hometown Rental
I would be interest in what they have to say
I'm willing to bet they have had to address this very issue The Villages leaves no stone un turned
and being the Villages may have your answer
Old 03-01-2015, 12:35 PM
Sage

The renter definitely is a low life sneak. Don't waste your money on lawyer, just get the place professionally cleaned and deduct the money from their security deposit. I assume this is a short term rental and the people will be gone before an attorney would be able to accomplish anything. Change the wording in your lease to read "no pets or animals of any kind".
Old 03-01-2015, 02:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbanker View Post
The renter definitely is a low life sneak. Don't waste your money on lawyer, just get the place professionally cleaned and deduct the money from their security deposit. I assume this is a short term rental and the people will be gone before an attorney would be able to accomplish anything. Change the wording in your lease to read "no pets or animals of any kind".
Which changes exactly nothing. Service and comfort animals are protected by law from whatever language you put in your agreement. Why is this so difficult for some to understand? If you think that the service or comfort animal is not really providing a service to the rentee and that they have deceived you, there are very specific questions and documents you may request, and nothing beyond those specific questions and documents. The law is there to protect the less fortunate from people who would otherwise discriminate against them. Apparently many on this thread.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:27 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
These renters were by no means upfront but underhanded
Did not disclose the situation

Why call a Lawyer

Call the Villages Hometown Rental
I would be interest in what they have to say
I'm willing to bet they have had to address this very issue The Villages leaves no stone un turned
and being the Villages may have your answer
This was the first time that this situation came up.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.