Settling in and being bored

Closed Thread
Old 02-04-2012, 01:36 PM
Sage
Default Bored? I think not now.

Ah Chelsea.....thanks for posting what I was thinking. I always hear of people having close friends in TV and wonder "will that be me"? I'm can be pretty outgoing so I tend to make friends easily, but my husband is pretty quiet and doesn't do the social scene so much, at least where we live. I think once we move, he will change and be a bit more outgoing. The people here aren't that friendly and don't reach out much. The folks in TV seem to reach out to others to cultivate friendships. I keep telling my husband that I'll be off with my girl friends and he'll be home tinkering with his stuff. He says "what ever makes you happy!" Bless his heart. I must say I have a wonderful husband.....

We aren't golfers (yet) but love to be out and about. My husband likes cars, especially older vets and always seems to find something around the house to fiddle with. We love to walk together and usually walk miles a day. We like to stop to the cafe's to have a drink and snacks and shop. Since we'll have a pool, I'm hoping I can have my friends over for a regular swim and chat time around my pool and warm each others hearts. I've learned over the years that other people's thoughts and feeling are so important so I want to try and listen to what they have to say and put my 2 cents in! We are counting down the days until we move and will be there on the 12th to get the ball rolling. Thank you for your thoughts.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:01 PM
Default BORED???? Are you joking?

You won't "get it" until you are actually living here, but I seriously doubt you'll find yourself "bored" and itching to get a job! I wish I could find a way to have an additional 10 or so hours each day just so I'd have enough time to try all the new stuff I want to do, but can't seem to find the time for!

My hubby did end up going back to work (retired firefighter w/a pension), but it's only to feed our (as Gracie would say) "feathering our nest" addiction! LOL!
Old 02-04-2012, 03:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
Ah Chelsea.....thanks for posting what I was thinking. I always hear of people having close friends in TV and wonder "will that be me"? I'm can be pretty outgoing so I tend to make friends easily, but my husband is pretty quiet and doesn't do the social scene so much, at least where we live. I think once we move, he will change and be a bit more outgoing. The people here aren't that friendly and don't reach out much. The folks in TV seem to reach out to others to cultivate friendships. I keep telling my husband that I'll be off with my girl friends and he'll be home tinkering with his stuff. He says "what ever makes you happy!" Bless his heart. I must say I have a wonderful husband.....

We aren't golfers (yet) but love to be out and about. My husband likes cars, especially older vets and always seems to find something around the house to fiddle with. We love to walk together and usually walk miles a day. We like to stop to the cafe's to have a drink and snacks and shop. Since we'll have a pool, I'm hoping I can have my friends over for a regular swim and chat time around my pool and warm each others hearts. I've learned over the years that other people's thoughts and feeling are so important so I want to try and listen to what they have to say and put my 2 cents in! We are counting down the days until we move and will be there on the 12th to get the ball rolling. Thank you for your thoughts.
Sounds a lot like my wife and I. She could make new friends in the checkout line at the supermarket, while I had difficulty reaching out. On out lifestyle visit, we were just unloading the car at our rental house and someone from the neighborhood ran over and asked if I played golf since there was a group that played on Thursday and I was welcome to play with them. Even though you state that you both don't play golf yet, there are so many other groups there are sure to be people in your new neighborhood that belong or are interested in them. There are many car clubs here, including a Vette club. As I found myself welcome in any group I encountered, I lost some of my inhibitions and learned to reach out to create new friendships. I can't recall being rebuffed anytime. I have made more friends here in six years than I had in 30 at my previous home. As I said in a prior post, you can actually get too busy here.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:23 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
I retired for six months and went back to work full time. Different strokes for differrent folks.
I had no intention of ever retiring but the best plans of......

I miss my job
Old 02-16-2012, 04:37 PM
Default bored

I am extremely bored living in The Villages. The activities do not come to you. You must push yourself out of the house. People are rude and obnoxious and not friendly at all.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishamr View Post
I am extremely bored living in The Villages. The activities do not come to you. You must push yourself out of the house. People are rude and obnoxious and not friendly at all.
I'm so sorry you feel this way.

Yes the activities do not come to you. You do have to be a person to step out and get involved.

I've met so many wonderful people in TV. I've met people on this forum as well as in TV and I don't live there yet and I haven't attended any activities.

So maybe you can be a little more specific. What exactly has happened that has brought you to this statement?

Are you in a new or older neighborhood? Have you attended the socials?
Old 02-16-2012, 05:20 PM
Gold member

Surely that statement is putting everyone on. Surely.
In reality, they're different!
Old 02-16-2012, 05:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJohn View Post

I hope you're right CaptJohn. When you get to know some of the personalities.... You know who is joking and who isn't. I just don't know about this poster. I hope they come on and explain.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJohn View Post
.....and do not call me Surely?
Old 02-16-2012, 05:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Shirley. (Irishamr)

I haven't met anyone yet who thinks the way you do. (That people are rude and obnoxious and not friendly)

Please tell us who and how you met these obnoxious folks. I will go and beat them up.

You are kiddin' right?
Old 02-16-2012, 09:01 PM
Smile Bored after settling in?

We made a LSV in Dec and my wife got contact info for a few couples we met during that time... She has already touched base with one couple and if we are lucky enough to get a quick trip back in the next month or so we hope to make time to meet up with one of the couples. One has to get out of the chair and out the door to get involved and we are looking forward to the opportunity to do just that once we make TV's are next home and lets hope its before summers end. We hope to get our house on the market here in Alabama early March.
USNRet92 & Ebsmom
Old 02-16-2012, 09:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet92 View Post
We made a LSV in Dec and my wife got contact info for a few couples we met during that time... She has already touched base with one couple and if we are lucky enough to get a quick trip back in the next month or so we hope to make time to meet up with one of the couples. One has to get out of the chair and out the door to get involved and we are looking forward to the opportunity to do just that once we make TV's are next home and lets hope its before summers end. We hope to get our house on the market here in Alabama early March.
USNRet92 & Ebsmom
Good luck with the sale of your house!!! You will meet a lot of people right here. I was in my home a total of 10 days before I had to come back to Chicago to pack up and move and I made so many friends in that time!!!
Old 02-16-2012, 09:21 PM
Gold member
Default Bored- NOT

. I know there's more but sometimes I just have to take the day off...and...I know you are wondering..the second I hit the house, I hit this computer on my kitchen desk to see what is going on ..on TOTV. My connection to all of you.[/QUOTE]

I want " That Life" Goals. Fourth Quarter time to have much less stress and more meaning in life.

You Da woman Gracie!

If anyone is bored they can play wack the mole in my back yard.

Attachment 1873

Last edited by CarGuys; 03-11-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishamr View Post
If this is truly your experience in TV I am very sorry. I have been here since mid-Oct and I can honestly say I have yet to meet a rude or obnoxious person. I will agree that yes you do need to push yourself out of the house to meet people and be involved in activities but I love sewing and scrapbooking in my house as well. Boredom is not something I have yet encountered in TV. If I could do with no sleep I might just get everything done that I want to try and do.....

Why don;t you come to Crispers tomorrow at 3 and meet some wonderful friendly people.

Suzanne
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.