Settling in and being bored

Closed Thread
Old 02-02-2012, 08:36 AM
Sage
Default Settling in and being bored

Given all there is to do, this may be a dumb question. After you have settled in to the lifestyle at TV, have you ever found yourself bored and wanting to get a job? Or, do you get more involved in activities? I just wondered because I know some people tend to get antsy if they are not doing something all the time. Can you tell me a bit about how your day goes with activities and leisure time? Just picking your brains.....thanks
Old 02-02-2012, 08:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
Given all there is to do, this may be a dumb question. After you have settled in to the lifestyle at TV, have you ever found yourself bored and wanting to get a job? Or, do you get more involved in activities? I just wondered because I know some people tend to get antsy if they are not doing something all the time. Can you tell me a bit about how your day goes with activities and leisure time? Just picking your brains.....thanks
Yesterday I got up early and walked around our village, and then prepared for a luncheon for our Wednesday's girls golf group. They arrived at noon and the ten of us ate and sat around until about three on the lanai and just talked about how we loved it here, shared some life stories and enjoyed every second of being outside on a February day. I play golf on Tuesday, Wednesday, some Fridays. (POOH???) and Sunday. I take art classes and our neighborhood has a dine around every Friday night. People are always dropping in or asking us over and the usual "feathering of the nest" is continuing in our new home. We have Bunco, Mahjong, Bridge and Poker available to attend just in our new village. I know there's more but sometimes I just have to take the day off...and...I know you are wondering..the second I hit the house, I hit this computer on my kitchen desk to see what is going on ..on TOTV. My connection to all of you.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:59 AM
Sage

Most people will tell you that they got involved in too many things when they first got here. I found myself getting so busy between pickleball, billiards, golf, a neighborhood social club, and bowling that I felt busier than when I was working. It took a while to finally start paring down my activities so I had time to just sit back and relax. Bored? Hardly. Exhausted is more like it.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:06 AM
Gold member
Default Not yet

We were here last winter from November to early May, then since late September this year which will be our first as permanent residents.

I definitely thought I would want a part-time job, both for the extra money and to put some structure in my days. Ohioboy talked me out of it, and I am really glad - not sure when I would have been able to fit it in, to be honest.

Besides a lot of the things Gracie mentioned, I also like to garden and read, things done mostly on my own, although I go to at least 2 garden club events every month (would go to more if I could fit them in), and now 2 book clubs.

Plus, if you expect lots of houseguests (usually the most in your first year or two here), remember that they take time and energy, even the ones who are very independent and self-sufficient, plus some recovery time after they leave. Our house/dogsitters just left Wed. morning, and they are finding that they are bored in Ohio in the winter, just not enough to do in cold weather there. When we get a cold spell here, it's kind of enjoyable - we maybe cancel outside activities, catch a couple of movies, cook something wintery, etc.

Honestly? We have to almost schedule some down time.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:16 AM
Gold member
Default Bored!!!! ????

Well said, Gracie. That just about sums up my day(s) too, only in my case, remove the bridge playing, and switch it for "mexican train". Just as Gracie does, I actually leave one day "free" with nothing officially pencilled in - a sort of "day off" from all that fun.
I spent a lifetime working in one career or another, and now is my time to play. Additionally, one of our neighbors, who was also my dear friend, suddenly passed away over the weekend. Who would have guessed such a vital, fun and close friend, would have left us so unexpectedly. I have wonderful memories of my dear friend Fran and me playing golf, and am glad I was not so busy working that I never got to meet her. Just saying......
Old 02-02-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
I'm in a different situation,...the Mrs. and I both still work,...we moved here to be near her mother,...I'm envious of the retirees who seem to be busier than we are!... Whether working or not, The Villages is a great place to live,...you adjust to what's going on around you and settle in to your own lifestyle,....I always think that if someone is bored around here for lack of something to do, then they're not looking very hard...
Old 02-02-2012, 10:16 AM
Sage

My husband and I both got part-time jobs after about a year of living here. Mine is very flexible with the hours and days and doesn't seem to get in the way of activities. His on the other hand wasn't. He worked weekends and nights and some days. They kept adding hours to his schedule and that wasn't what he signed up to do. Eventually he was working 4-5 days a week for $8.00 an hour and we had to say no to so many invitations that our social life suffered. He recently quit his job and is now really enjoying his retirement for a change and I love it even though I still work.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:24 AM
Sage
Default Don't live there yet.

If I stayed retired here, I would be bored as everyone else is working. Any time I'm in The Villages, I am so busy. It's so nice all year long I get up and walk/run first thing. Enjoy breakfast on the lanai and then get dressed for the day! Everyone around you is retired as well so there are always people to do things with. I went out with several girlfriends to lunch, shopping, and I got to see Bargains and Treasures! Ill be going back there often.

I like to golf and sit by the pool. Would love to learn pickeball! One of my girlfriends is starting a "Walk off the Pounds" class I plan to join! Would LOVE to join a book club!

There always seems to be something going on at the square and I always like to explore everything around me so the plans are to go off campus to see the state!

No.... I don't think I will get bored.

Oh... and I forgot... I don't think a woman EVER retires... I'm just retired from my second job!
Old 02-02-2012, 12:10 PM
Eternal Member

I could never be so bored that I would ever want to get a job again.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Sage
Default Staying active

While chuckling at some of your responses I'm also out of breath! I guess I'll never be bored. I'm a walker and a light jogger so I'll be happy to walk with anyone who walks! I didn't think I could get more excited about moving but with all of your responses I'm even more excited!! I usually sleep until 8:30-9:00 in the morning but lately I've been getting up at 7 because my mind is always thinking about TV! Just can't wait....
Old 02-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Veteran member
Smile

On top of everything that has been said in this thread, you and your husband don't sound like a couple who are easily bored.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Sage

I like to keep busy too but I always say boring is good too because at least nothing bad happened.

It's nice to have a relaxing day for oneself as TV offers so much to do.

Everyone can do as much or as little as they want to.

Don't worry, be happy.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 02-02-2012, 04:04 PM
Smile things to do

I can't wait to move in and experience all the different fun things to do. Our friends just moved in a month ago and it has been non stop for them. Block parties, house parties, playing golf, meeting new folks and the list goes on and on.

Patti
Old 02-02-2012, 04:06 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Being active can mean phyiscal activity or mental activity and given the demographic here it is likely that a number of individuals can't keep up with the physical but engage in more cerbral things.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:19 PM
Platinum member

Well, let me see -- this morning was rather slow so Jim and I took our coffee to the lanai and for a little over an hour we watched the foreplay and mating of a pair of turtle doves on our courtyard wall. Fascinating to be so close! I hope they will pick our tree to raise their little squabs! Nope, never a boring minute!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.