Settling in and being bored

Closed Thread
Old 02-02-2012, 04:47 PM

Yep. Biggest problem is pacing ourselves. Being in TV is sort of like going to a giant buffet. The choices are endless and you want to try everything.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:50 PM

I've been in TV since mid October of 2011 and I haven't had a boring day yet. I may one day have to return to a job to help supplement my income, but I really really hope not. Any day that is quiet I simply enjoy a good book since those days are few and far between. There is so much to do here I don;t know how anyone could be bored and I don't even golf. I have no idea how I would find time to do so even if I wanted to do so.

Life is definitely good in TV. I've never been so relaxed. Were else can you go out every night and enjoy music and dancing if you choose for no cost.....unless you care to drink.

Suzanne
Old 02-02-2012, 04:54 PM
Veteran member

I retired for six months and went back to work full time. Different strokes for differrent folks.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:25 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LvmyPug2 View Post
Yep. Biggest problem is pacing ourselves. Being in TV is sort of like going to a giant buffet. The choices are endless and you want to try everything.
I wish I had such choices and "problems."
Old 02-02-2012, 06:30 PM
Sage

As one poster above mentioned, a reason to want a part-time job would be to have more structure in one's days. But then, the local area surrounding TV is quite depressed economically, and local people desperately need jobs to support their families the old-fashioned way, by working for a living.

If you don't really need the income, volunteer work is the way to go.....let somebody who really needs the income have the paying job. There are at least 50 volunteer job listings in the newspaper each week, and it's rewarding!
Old 02-02-2012, 08:35 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I've been here 5 years. I have friends who have lived here for over 10 and less than 6 months. You're as bored as you want to be. If you don't go out and join clubs, do things, meet people, you're going to be bored and lonely. It really is your choice.

I'm one of those in the middle. Yes, I have a business that keeps me hopping but I can schedule most things so that I can do what I want when I want. I'm quite content to spend days at home doing absolutely nothing, just watching the birds and butterflies outside my lanai. It's even better when the neighborhood squirrel torments my cats by climbing on the screen. I'm also happy going out to play bridge (duplicate), Mah-Jongg, weekly get-togethers for dinner and games and, of course, volunteering at the Mark Twain Library.

I'm just as happy just driving around in my golf cart and people watching. I grin every time I see a dog's tail wagging like crazy cause it is being walked by someone who loves it. I like stopping and helping those who are lost or having problems. I crack up watching golfers at the driving range when they get a look of total confusion on their face as the ball goes where it shouldn't. If I happen to see some sandhill cranes or the gator in the pond, my day is made.

I think in the five years I've lived here, I've been truly bored about five times and each of those times was when I was ill.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-02-2012, 08:39 PM
Sage

I'm a middle of the road kinda person too. There are times I love being along and pondering my thoughts and other times I want people around. I don't think we'll have a chance to be bored after hearing what you all have to say. I think it may be more of a matter of how to balance all of the activities! I like to read and putter at home too, so I guess I'll only be as busy or as bored as I want to be!
Old 02-02-2012, 08:57 PM

I have lived here about a year & a half. When I first moved here I was one of those that wanted to try everything that was offered and I soon was so tired but how could I possibly say "no" to my neighbors and friends. So after being here for 4 months, I got a part-time job with TV. It was my down time. I work about 20 hours a week so I still have time for golf, activities, socials, and all the neighborhood get togethers. I love my job, the new friends I've made, but most of all I'm given the opportunity to meet visitors and new home owners and share in all of their excitement in discovering life in TV.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj1213 View Post
I have lived here about a year & a half. When I first moved here I was one of those that wanted to try everything that was offered and I soon was so tired but how could I possibly say "no" to my neighbors and friends. So after being here for 4 months, I got a part-time job with TV. It was my down time. I work about 20 hours a week so I still have time for golf, activities, socials, and all the neighborhood get togethers. I love my job, the new friends I've made, but most of all I'm given the opportunity to meet visitors and new home owners and share in all of their excitement in discovering life in TV.
I think the variety of people here, and their backgrounds, keeps life very interesting. So many people around us from which we can learn something new every day!
Old 02-03-2012, 08:22 PM
Sage

We stay so active and have so much fun whenever we are in TV that when we come back to ATL, I feel like I need a rest from my vacation.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:31 PM
Veteran member
Default Getting bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
I'm a middle of the road kinda person too. There are times I love being along and pondering my thoughts and other times I want people around. I don't think we'll have a chance to be bored after hearing what you all have to say. I think it may be more of a matter of how to balance all of the activities! I like to read and putter at home too, so I guess I'll only be as busy or as bored as I want to be!
I honestly believe that if you were not going to retire in TV you would have good reason to be concerned you would be bored in retirement!

Not in TV there is so much to do and so much not to do.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:51 AM
Thumbs up Not Bored

I will soon be celebrating my 1st year anniversary as a Villager. Your question is a good one, because you will be starting a new life style, if you are retiring.

I was totally engaged with a full time career and I had the exact same concern when we first gave my retirement serious thought. The fact we did not wish to become bored and house bound was a major factor for us choosing The Villages. I can honestly tell you boredom is never an issue. You will have to put some work into planning out what you wish to do here at The Villages and then get out there and do it. We plan our month with our scheduled meetings, social events, and golfing. Having a weekly recreational newsletter helps a lot. After only just one year, we have very little time where nothing is going on. We also have to include our friends and neighbors in our social time because our Village must be one of the friendliest in The Villages. (Driveway Parties) Then you have to include old friends and family, who all want to come spend time with you at The Villages.

I can assure you, if you get out there and engage the active lifestyle The Villages offers, boredom will NOT be an issue, there are some fun part-time jobs available if you must work. (golf starter/ambassador, community watch, recreational aide, etc. So come on down and enjoy the life and remember life is a gift and it's all about what you make of it!
Old 02-04-2012, 09:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
We stay so active and have so much fun whenever we are in TV that when we come back to ATL, I feel like I need a rest from my vacation.
You guys should be in TV permanently!
Old 02-04-2012, 09:47 AM
Sage
Arrow I agree!

It's always been my belief that only boring people get bored. Also, you're only as young as you feel -- and I swear, in The Villages I feel 20 years younger than I would up North. I, too, like some down time. It can be overwhelming. But after living here for over 4 years now, my husband and I have formed lasting friendships with people all over The Villages and of course, we are very lucky to have such wonderful neighbors. But you can't sit in your house and hope they come to you! You have to get out there and get involved.

I'm sure you'll strike a happy balance. And if you find yourself just sitting around one day (highly unlikely) with nothing to do, just pick up the paper and browse or the weekly activity supplement -- there is never a shortage of interesting and fun things to do in The Villages. I thought my husband would miss working. Not for a minute!!!

The first few months we lived here, not knowing anyone, we'd see tables of people at the parades, etc. and I'd wonder "how did they ever get to know each other? Will we ever have all those friends?" Now... we can't get enough tables together to fit our gang of people! haha!

Welcome and enjoy on your new lifestyle. I bet you'll find yourself in the morning, sitting on your lanai, sipping your coffee, saying to yourself "how did I ever get this lucky!" I know I do!!!
Old 02-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsea24 View Post
It's always been my belief that only boring people get bored.
Thanks for that diagnosis.The only time I'm not bored is when I'm playing softball.I've tried to get included with people I know playing golf or pickleball but for some unknown reason it hasn't worked out.Maybe your diagnosis has hit the nail on the head!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.