Sewer Smell in Collier

Closed Thread
Old 12-18-2013, 12:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member

There was a thread a while ago where the poster asked if there were any problems with water lots. I mentioned that sometimes homes that back up to ponds may encounter a bad smell. Well I had a number of people dump on me over that comment – I was jealous, I was anti The Villages, anti American, blah blah blah. I feel kind of vindicated because I'm obviously not the only person who has noticed these smells do crop up. Tippy club, please don't jump to conclusions. It most likely is a transient thing that only happens a few times per year.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:16 PM
Sage

well, here I am having moved to TV apr of 2013 with a fine lake view, and no smell. nothing. what's wrong with my lake? is it too newly made? I don't mind sharing the air with nature, but so far nothing smells. I kind of like strong smells of nature. goat cheese, ya'll.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:26 PM
Veteran member

There is a lot of information passed on here that may not be first hand. I am not the owner of a lot backed onto a pond or lake so I really don't know if foul smell is really a problem with these beautiful lots. Maybe someone, in addition to Kitty, who lives on one of these properties could comment on whether these lots smell or not. Sometimes I think people pass along things they have heard but may not have actually experienced themselves. I know I have been guilty of that.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:33 PM
Sage

Kitty's comments about turnover are based on research thru the university of florida, IFAS. Except for: My personal experience of no smell in the small and wonderful Miss Kitty's Lake.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:02 PM
Gold member

The reclaimed water does give off an odor. Florida also has as "odor" at times.
Lived in Winter Park for 8 years and going on 2 here. Odors come and go. No worse here than anywhere.
TOTV reported odors at Bonifay. We were away so emailed our neighbors. No one had a clue about any odors.
Now my new SUV does gives off an odor occasionally. Not good when driving friends. Either bad fuel or converter.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

I once had an uncle that gave off an..................................
Old 12-18-2013, 02:58 PM
Veteran member

It's ok I think my dog just passed a little gas, it only last for a few minutes.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:15 PM

Speaking of smells.... the large mound of land behind the Sarasota Golf Practice facility is a dump for construction material like concrete and drywall but some sneak garbage in under their lumber. So on a real hot summer day when the wind is in the right direction you can smell the typical dump odor. Take a look on Google earth and you'll see the area. Some sales agents will disclose this but most won't.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:37 PM
Veteran member

Thanks everyone! A few of you had me laughing. Charleen my home watch lady saw this post and contacted me and said she does not smell anything at my house, so this is good news. Phew....

OP yes there is a sewer treatment center near Bonifay Country Club which is hidden behind nice landscaping and rolling hills. Perhaps, this is what you are smelling?
Old 12-18-2013, 03:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Does anyone else smell a strong funny smell outside?
Old 12-18-2013, 04:29 PM

I'm the OP. I don't live on the water. I've lived here 3 months and the odor is present almost every day. It comes and goes, might be sprinkler water or pond odor but sometimes it is strong and other times it just floats by on the breeze. The smell is a cross between pond smell and sewer treatment so I don't know where to place the blame. I hope it is only seasonal because sometimes it can be pretty gross.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I once had an uncle that gave off an..................................

Good one!
Old 12-18-2013, 07:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippyclubb View Post
Thanks everyone! A few of you had me laughing. Charleen my home watch lady saw this post and contacted me and said she does not smell anything at my house, so this is good news. Phew....

OP yes there is a sewer treatment center near Bonifay Country Club which is hidden behind nice landscaping and rolling hills. Perhaps, this is what you are smelling?
That's water storage, not sewage treatment. The sewage treatment plant is next to the Bacall exec course.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:02 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectreron View Post
I'm the OP. I don't live on the water. I've lived here 3 months and the odor is present almost every day. It comes and goes, might be sprinkler water or pond odor but sometimes it is strong and other times it just floats by on the breeze. The smell is a cross between pond smell and sewer treatment so I don't know where to place the blame. I hope it is only seasonal because sometimes it can be pretty gross.
This could be something particular to where you live in Collier. Maybe you could give us a street or something to identify which area of Collier you are referring to. I have a number of friends who live in Collier and not one has mentioned any odor. I will see them tomorrow and ask them if they have noticed any problem. I often ride through Collier on my bicycle and I have never smelled any bad odors except when they water the Village landscaping or golf courses, but that has only been on the rare occasion when I was out very early in the morning. By the way, Collier is a beautiful Village and it has a great pool and the wonderful Eisenhower Recreation Center in it. The ride to Brownwood is a great trip too as you pass many large live oaks with all the Spanish moss hanging down from their branches.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:24 PM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James
Default No odor from lake

I live on a lake in the lovely Village of St. James. Never ever have I noticed an odor coming from the pond...lake...ocean. .

However, there was a terrible odor coming from my neighbors who loved to smoke in their lanai. I no longer have to put up with that disgusting odor now that my lanai is enclosed.

No odor from the lake....beautiful views and free entertainment watching all the birds. Priceless!

(My name is Karen)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.