Shades for lanai,

Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2013, 07:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Shades for lanai,

After NOT giving as much thought to the orientation of our lot as Jimbo. (Who does???)

We decided to explore the choices once again for blinds for the screened lanai that faces west and gives us phenomenal sunsets but shines in our eyes and heats us up as we try to eat dinner out there.

We went to Lowes and they are having a sale starting today ( It may be one they have all the time) on Cooleroo shades. I know Happinow mentioned them but we have been undecided because I thought they didn't offer enough shade and Sweetie thought they did. So we are gonna have them installed and see how it goes. Will report.

Anyone have them?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:05 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
After NOT giving as much thought to the orientation of our lot as Jimbo. (Who does???)

We decided to explore the choices once again for blinds for the screened lanai that faces west and gives us phenomenal sunsets but shines in our eyes and heats us up as we try to eat dinner out there.

We went to Lowes and they are having a sale starting today ( It may be one they have all the time) on Cooleroo shades. I know Happinow mentioned them but we have been undecided because I thought they didn't offer enough shade and Sweetie thought they did. So we are gonna have them installed and see how it goes. Will report.

Anyone have them?
Gracie,

Are you having 90 or 95 (or what?) sun block? I have seen two Cooleroo installations in Sanibel. They both are happy customers!

Gene
Old 04-05-2013, 08:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by glgene View Post
Gracie,

Are you having 90 or 95 (or what?) sun block? I have seen two Cooleroo installations in Sanibel. They both are happy customers!

Gene
I don't KNOW. They will be black. Match the screens and the metal part. Gracie is always concerned with the design element...(I am told by a close male relative)

I am pretty sure that the percentage is UV rays and not light and that is what made it a standoff in our home for a good while.

Sweetie is probably right. He usually is. It is so annoying.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I don't KNOW. They will be black. Match the screens and the metal part. Gracie is always concerned with the design element...(I am told by a close male relative)

I am pretty sure that the percentage is UV rays and not light and that is what made it a standoff in our home for a good while.

Sweetie is probably right. He usually is. It is so annoying.
Love that - my husband always says "oh, it has to match". I completely understand where you are coming from with that one!!!
Old 04-05-2013, 08:35 AM
Sage

Hi Gracie: We have cooleraroo shades in a dark brown color and absolutely love them. They give us needed privacy and the sun does shine through just enough so it doesn't seem dark. We keep them pulled half way down all the time. My husband bought some tie downs at Sparrs to attach them to the bottom of the frame so they can stay down most of the time even on a windy day.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:18 AM
Veteran member

Gracie,

One of the Sanibel homeowners I spoke with said they enjoy their Cooleroo pull-down screens more for privacy than sun shade. The other couple said primarily for sun shade. Different folks, different strokes.

Two caveats:

1) Privacy only goes so far. At night, outsiders can still see "in" -- color of see-thru shade doesn't matter.

2) Privacy doesn't block sound -- no matter what color of shade you choose.

Let us know how your project ends. Inquiring minds want to know.

Gene
Old 04-05-2013, 05:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by glgene View Post
Gracie,

One of the Sanibel homeowners I spoke with said they enjoy their Cooleroo pull-down screens more for privacy than sun shade. The other couple said primarily for sun shade. Different folks, different strokes.

Two caveats:

1) Privacy only goes so far. At night, outsiders can still see "in" -- color of see-thru shade doesn't matter.

2) Privacy doesn't block sound -- no matter what color of shade you choose.

Let us know how your project ends. Inquiring minds want to know.

Gene
Well if all things go as planned, you and your prettier half will be sitting on our lanai in June eating dinner... so we are waiting for your personal assessment, Mr. Gene
Old 04-05-2013, 07:13 PM
Location: Mohnton PA, Raystown Lake PA, and NOW the village of Charlotte

We have the cooleroo shades, love them, they definitely shade the lanai well, still can see out, not as easy to see 'in', but not completely private. Very happy with them!
Old 04-05-2013, 07:54 PM

We have the beige striped version and love them. Hubby installed them perfectly. They do keep the sun and heat out of the lanai. You'll love them too
Old 04-05-2013, 09:04 PM
Gold member

I was very happy to see this thread and read the positive input. We soon will be removing trees that have provided us with the perfect canopy for shade. With those trees being gone it surely will be an adjustment for us and have been planning to research options for shades. Guess I'll be heading to Lowes tomorrow. Do these Cooleroo Shades come in a variety of widths?
Old 04-05-2013, 09:21 PM
Gold member

Can these shades be adjusted for width?
Old 04-06-2013, 04:47 AM
Location: Mohnton PA, Raystown Lake PA, and NOW the village of Charlotte

We were told by Lowes that if you are handy you can cut them to size....all you need is a hacksaw and good pair of scissors, and we had no problems, and they look great!!
Old 04-06-2013, 05:01 AM
Gold member

We have them also!! Our Lanoi faces west, so we get the afternoon sun. Bought it at Loews, and I installed it. (Not hard to do) I have eye clips on bottom that attach to screw in aluminum framing, that holds shade from blowing when it is windy. Good Luck Gracie
Old 04-06-2013, 05:52 AM
Veteran member

We also have Coolaroos. Went to Lowes and picked out the color, then their agent came to our place and measured, we picked up to save the $35 fee, then made an appointment with the installer to have them put up. Custom fit and finish. Paid a flat fee for install. We can see out but difficult to see in except if we have our lanai lights on, then more visible. But that was not the reason why we have them. Lanai faces west and we cook at night along with our dinner. Only issue I have is the way to tie them down to keep from blowing in on windy days.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
Hi Gracie: We have cooleraroo shades in a dark brown color and absolutely love them. They give us needed privacy and the sun does shine through just enough so it doesn't seem dark. We keep them pulled half way down all the time. My husband bought some tie downs at Sparrs to attach them to the bottom of the frame so they can stay down most of the time even on a windy day.
Can you tell me what you used to tie down your blinds and where or what is Sparrs? Haven't found a good way yet. I am hesitant about drilling holes in our lanai frame for attachments.
Thanks.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.